Обсуждение: Fate of pgFoundry

Fate of pgFoundry

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW,

I've just been informed by the Alvaro that the sysadmin team would like
to kill off pgFoundry.  I don't blame them.

However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry.  As
far as I know, none of those things were actually done.

So, where are we?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I've just been informed by the Alvaro that the sysadmin team would like
> to kill off pgFoundry.  I don't blame them.

> However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
> things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry.  As
> far as I know, none of those things were actually done.

... like, say, notifying projects and giving them a reasonable
opportunity to migrate someplace else?  AFAIR there has been never been
any clear statement of intent to shut down pgfoundry, just some vague
grumblings of annoyance from the admin team.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
>> However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
>> things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry.  As
>> far as I know, none of those things were actually done.
>
> ... like, say, notifying projects and giving them a reasonable
> opportunity to migrate someplace else?  AFAIR there has been never been
> any clear statement of intent to shut down pgfoundry, just some vague
> grumblings of annoyance from the admin team.

Right.  Also:

-- providing file storage location for community files (such as
graphics, documents, etc.)

-- moving still-active community (as opposed to project-specific)
mailing lists from various projects (GSOC, press, etc.)

-- moving source code for projects which have interesting code but no
longer have a project lead to another source code host

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 19:52, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I've just been informed by the Alvaro that the sysadmin team would like
>> to kill off pgFoundry.  I don't blame them.

I'd also to clearify that this is *not* the sysadmin team. The
sysadmin team are not maintaining pgfoundry, and are not involved.

pgfoundry has a separate admin team, who hangs out at
gforge-admins@pgfoundry.org. This is a completely different team.

Had it been under the actual sysadmin team, this would've happened
many years ago.

>> However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
>> things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry.  As
>> far as I know, none of those things were actually done.
> ... like, say, notifying projects and giving them a reasonable
> opportunity to migrate someplace else?  AFAIR there has been never been
> any clear statement of intent to shut down pgfoundry, just some vague
> grumblings of annoyance from the admin team.

Dave has been working on a plan, and options and things like that.
He'll be posting details soon.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 01/12/2012 07:56 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
>>> things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry.  As
>>> far as I know, none of those things were actually done.
>>
>> ... like, say, notifying projects and giving them a reasonable
>> opportunity to migrate someplace else?  AFAIR there has been never been
>> any clear statement of intent to shut down pgfoundry, just some vague
>> grumblings of annoyance from the admin team.
>
> Right.  Also:
>
> -- providing file storage location for community files (such as
> graphics, documents, etc.)

media.postgresql.org - but really I guess most current project hosting
platforms provide thise kind of service...

> -- moving still-active community (as opposed to project-specific)
> mailing lists from various projects (GSOC, press, etc.)

well I guess for closely related project we will be happy to provide
hosting on postgresql.org infrastructure, but in general most
alternative hosting solutions for projects will have solutions for that
as well..

> -- moving source code for projects which have interesting code but no
> longer have a project lead to another source code host

well not sure we can do a lot about that - we could do an archive(tar.gz
or similiar= on our download system but if a project is abandoned it is
really dead...

Stefan

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
>> -- providing file storage location for community files (such as
>> graphics, documents, etc.)
>
> media.postgresql.org - but really I guess most current project hosting
> platforms provide thise kind of service...

Actually, most don't.  In fact, the only one I know which does is
Sourceforge.

>> -- moving still-active community (as opposed to project-specific)
>> mailing lists from various projects (GSOC, press, etc.)
>
> well I guess for closely related project we will be happy to provide
> hosting on postgresql.org infrastructure, but in general most
> alternative hosting solutions for projects will have solutions for that
> as well..

Actually, most don't.  I've a feeling we'll get requests for mailing
lists even from projects who have moved their source code.   Really the
only public utilities providing mailing lists are Google and Yahoo, and
those both have substantial drawbacks.

And yes, I'm talking about moving them to postgresql.org.  It's just
needs to be done as a precursor, that's all.

>> -- moving source code for projects which have interesting code but no
>> longer have a project lead to another source code host
>
> well not sure we can do a lot about that - we could do an archive(tar.gz
> or similiar= on our download system but if a project is abandoned it is
> really dead...

Or just move them to a source code host of our choice.  First step is
evaluating which projects these are (hopefully a small number).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 19:52, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>>> I've just been informed by the Alvaro that the sysadmin team would like
>>> to kill off pgFoundry.  I don't blame them.
>
> I'd also to clearify that this is *not* the sysadmin team. The
> sysadmin team are not maintaining pgfoundry, and are not involved.
>
> pgfoundry has a separate admin team, who hangs out at
> gforge-admins@pgfoundry.org. This is a completely different team.
>
> Had it been under the actual sysadmin team, this would've happened
> many years ago.
>

>>> However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
>>> things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry.  As
>>> far as I know, none of those things were actually done.
>> ... like, say, notifying projects and giving them a reasonable
>> opportunity to migrate someplace else?  AFAIR there has been never been
>> any clear statement of intent to shut down pgfoundry, just some vague
>> grumblings of annoyance from the admin team.
>
> Dave has been working on a plan, and options and things like that.
> He'll be posting details soon.

Yes, which I'm pretty sure I mentioned in an email to Josh earlier today.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Is this related to that pgfoundry.org is down at present?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> WWW,
>
> I've just been informed by the Alvaro that the sysadmin team would like
> to kill off pgFoundry.  I don't blame them.
>
> However, when we previously had this discussion, there were a list of
> things to be done in the months leading up to killing off pgFoundry.  As
> far as I know, none of those things were actually done.
>
> So, where are we?
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com

Re: Fate of pgFoundry

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
No.

Not anymore than that it's yet another sign that pgfoundry has a
horrible availability record. It's been going up and down like this
for years, so I'd expect it to come back in a while.

//Magnus