Обсуждение: planet in more languages

planet in more languages

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
Hello,

planet.postgresql.org is English only.

When you google - you will also find some German blogs about PostgreSQL.
I bet it is the same with French.

Blogging in other languages then English is important in my eyes because
there
is tons of English words about PostgreSQL but very less in other languages.

My idea is to extend planet. Adding something like
de.planet.postgresql.org for German
blogs or fr.planet.postgresql.org for French blogs.

Additionally, the statistics on planet only show English blogs. Ppl who
do much blogging
in other languages just are falling through the statistics.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: planet in more languages

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de> wrote:
> planet.postgresql.org is English only.
>
> When you google - you will also find some German blogs about PostgreSQL.
> I bet it is the same with French.
>
> Blogging in other languages then English is important in my eyes because
> there
> is tons of English words about PostgreSQL but very less in other languages.
>
> My idea is to extend planet. Adding something like de.planet.postgresql.org
> for German
> blogs or fr.planet.postgresql.org for French blogs.
>
> Additionally, the statistics on planet only show English blogs. Ppl who do
> much blogging
> in other languages just are falling through the statistics.

Nice idea.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: planet in more languages

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:47, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> planet.postgresql.org is English only.
>
> When you google - you will also find some German blogs about PostgreSQL.
> I bet it is the same with French.
>
> Blogging in other languages then English is important in my eyes because
> there
> is tons of English words about PostgreSQL but very less in other languages.
>
> My idea is to extend planet. Adding something like de.planet.postgresql.org
> for German
> blogs or fr.planet.postgresql.org for French blogs.
>
> Additionally, the statistics on planet only show English blogs. Ppl who do
> much blogging
> in other languages just are falling through the statistics.

Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
of all those languages for those that want it.

I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
have to say on it :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: planet in more languages

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
2011/5/13 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:47, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> planet.postgresql.org is English only.
>>
>> When you google - you will also find some German blogs about PostgreSQL.
>> I bet it is the same with French.
>>
>> Blogging in other languages then English is important in my eyes because
>> there
>> is tons of English words about PostgreSQL but very less in other languages.
>>
>> My idea is to extend planet. Adding something like de.planet.postgresql.org
>> for German
>> blogs or fr.planet.postgresql.org for French blogs.
>>
>> Additionally, the statistics on planet only show English blogs. Ppl who do
>> much blogging
>> in other languages just are falling through the statistics.
>
> Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
> the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
> separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
> planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
> it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
> changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
> http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
> of all those languages for those that want it.
>
> I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
> already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
> have to say on it :-)

it exists in french too :
http://planete.postgresql.fr/

> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: planet in more languages

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of vie may 13 09:44:50 -0400 2011:

> I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
> already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
> have to say on it :-)

Yeah, http://planeta.postgresql.org.es/

Re: planet in more languages

От
Gabriele Bartolini
Дата:
Hi,

Il 13/05/11 15:44, Magnus Hagander ha scritto:
> I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
> already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
> have to say on it :-)
We do have one in Italian as well (www.planetpostgresql.it), but I would
be happy to have it hosted centrally (and then add a redirect from the
.it to the .org/it/ one).

Thanks,
Gabriele

--  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it
|www.2ndQuadrant.it

Re: planet in more languages

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/14/2011 12:37 AM, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Il 13/05/11 15:44, Magnus Hagander ha scritto:
>> I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
>> already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
>> have to say on it :-)
> We do have one in Italian as well (www.planetpostgresql.it), but I would
> be happy to have it hosted centrally (and then add a redirect from the
> .it to the .org/it/ one).

Although I do think getting all the different planets together in a
great solar system is a good idea. The other sentient beings may want to
make sure that their blogging policies line up with those that .Org uses.

http://planet.postgresql.org/policy.html

JD

> Thanks,
> Gabriele

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579

Re: planet in more languages

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 05/13/2011 03:44 PM, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:47, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> planet.postgresql.org is English only.
>>
>> When you google - you will also find some German blogs about PostgreSQL.
>> I bet it is the same with French.
>>
>> Blogging in other languages then English is important in my eyes because
>> there
>> is tons of English words about PostgreSQL but very less in other languages.
>>
>> My idea is to extend planet. Adding something like de.planet.postgresql.org
>> for German
>> blogs or fr.planet.postgresql.org for French blogs.
>>
>> Additionally, the statistics on planet only show English blogs. Ppl who do
>> much blogging
>> in other languages just are falling through the statistics.
>
> Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
> the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
> separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
> planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
> it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
> changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
> http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
> of all those languages for those that want it.

As Cédric already said, there is one in french, but I really like the
idea of a multi-feeds on planet.postgresql.org. I love even more the
http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ kind of URL :)

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: planet in more languages

От
Rafael Martinez
Дата:
On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 10:55 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of vie may 13 09:44:50 -0400 2011:
>
> > I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
> > already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
> > have to say on it :-)
>
> Yeah, http://planeta.postgresql.org.es/

For me is also ok to have it hosted centrally at postgresql.org and add
a redirect from planeta.postgresql.org.es to planet.postgresql.org/es/

regards,
--
Rafael Martinez Guerrero
Center for Information Technology

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Re: planet in more languages

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
Hello Magnus and all,

On 13.05.2011 15:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
> the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
> separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
> planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
> it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
> changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
> http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
> of all those languages for those that want it.

I really don't mind how the URL looks. That is up to you.

The response shows me that we could need it for French, Spanish,
Italian and German.

My feeling says that also Japanese could have interests.

Anyway - fr, es, it and de - these are also languages where I don't see
a problem with policy violating checks. There are enough contributors
speaking the language. I think you know what I mean.

I think something like http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de-it-es/ is not
necessary.

I am not a fan from statistics at all but when there are statistics then
I think it is necessary that they are counted for all languages and not
English only.

I think en-fr-de-it-es - showing all contents on one page will end up in
chaos.

Latest when we would add Russian or Japanese I would bet that you
maximum will find
a handful ppl understanding all languages.

It might be a good idea just showing the topics ordered by timestamp
linked to the
special language planet. But not the whole blog content.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: planet in more languages

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:10, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de> wrote:
> Hello Magnus and all,
>
> On 13.05.2011 15:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
>> the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
>> separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
>> planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
>> it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
>> changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
>> http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
>> of all those languages for those that want it.
>
> I really don't mind how the URL looks. That is up to you.
>
> The response shows me that we could need it for French, Spanish,
> Italian and German.
>
> My feeling says that also Japanese could have interests.

Possibly.

> Anyway - fr, es, it and de - these are also languages where I don't see
> a problem with policy violating checks. There are enough contributors
> speaking the language. I think you know what I mean.

Well, before a new language is added, we'd need to have somebody who
can do policy checks. As long as we have such a requirement, we could
add any language.

> I think something like http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de-it-es/ is not
> necessary.
>
> I am not a fan from statistics at all but when there are statistics then
> I think it is necessary that they are counted for all languages and not
> English only.
>
> I think en-fr-de-it-es - showing all contents on one page will end up in
> chaos.
>
> Latest when we would add Russian or Japanese I would bet that you maximum
> will find
> a handful ppl understanding all languages.
>
> It might be a good idea just showing the topics ordered by timestamp linked
> to the
> special language planet. But not the whole blog content.

The idea is you can pick any combination you want - not necessarily
all of them. E.g someone wants english+german, someone else
english+french, and somebody who likes the chaos you mention wants
english, german, french and spanish all at once..

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: planet in more languages

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
On 16.05.2011 11:13, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> The idea is you can pick any combination you want - not necessarily
> all of them. E.g someone wants english+german, someone else
> english+french, and somebody who likes the chaos you mention wants
> english, german, french and spanish all at once..

Ahhhh!! - that sounds fuzzy but great.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: planet in more languages

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
2011/5/16 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:10, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de> wrote:
>> Hello Magnus and all,
>>
>> On 13.05.2011 15:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>>
>>> Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
>>> the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
>>> separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
>>> planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
>>> it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
>>> changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
>>> http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
>>> of all those languages for those that want it.
>>
>> I really don't mind how the URL looks. That is up to you.
>>
>> The response shows me that we could need it for French, Spanish,
>> Italian and German.
>>
>> My feeling says that also Japanese could have interests.
>
> Possibly.
>

>> Anyway - fr, es, it and de - these are also languages where I don't see
>> a problem with policy violating checks. There are enough contributors
>> speaking the language. I think you know what I mean.
>
> Well, before a new language is added, we'd need to have somebody who
> can do policy checks. As long as we have such a requirement, we could
> add any language.
>

>> I think something like http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de-it-es/ is not
>> necessary.
>>
>> I am not a fan from statistics at all but when there are statistics then
>> I think it is necessary that they are counted for all languages and not
>> English only.
>>
>> I think en-fr-de-it-es - showing all contents on one page will end up in
>> chaos.
>>
>> Latest when we would add Russian or Japanese I would bet that you maximum
>> will find
>> a handful ppl understanding all languages.
>>
>> It might be a good idea just showing the topics ordered by timestamp linked
>> to the
>> special language planet. But not the whole blog content.
>
> The idea is you can pick any combination you want - not necessarily
> all of them. E.g someone wants english+german, someone else
> english+french, and somebody who likes the chaos you mention wants
> english, german, french and spanish all at once..

Sounds exactly what I need :)

+1 to link the french planet on the .org url too.

> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: planet in more languages

От
damien clochard
Дата:
Le 14/05/2011 09:37, Gabriele Bartolini a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Il 13/05/11 15:44, Magnus Hagander ha scritto:
>> I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
>> already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
>> have to say on it :-)
>
> We do have one in Italian as well (www.planetpostgresql.it), but I would
> be happy to have it hosted centrally (and then add a redirect from the
> .it to the .org/it/ one).

I'm ok to redirect planete.postgresql.fr to the central .org planet
provided that :
 * Language selection is available on the .org planet homepage * The policy is translated in french * A french speaking
personcan check that the policy is respected

Having separated twitter streams for each language would  be nice too.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org

Re: planet in more languages

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Well, before a new language is added, we'd need to have somebody who
> can do policy checks. As long as we have such a requirement, we could
> add any language.

at least for es, fr, it, de and probably jp, that requirement is
easily fullfilled...

so, what else we need to make this happen?

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL

Re: planet in more languages

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 23:21, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>> Well, before a new language is added, we'd need to have somebody who
>> can do policy checks. As long as we have such a requirement, we could
>> add any language.
>>

> at least for es, fr, it, de and probably jp, that requirement is
> easily fullfilled...

Yeah.

> so, what else we need to make this happen?

Either a code patch, or wait until I get around to it (which may take
some time, but I've stuck it on my TODO list..)

The code is on git.postgresql.org :P