Обсуждение: URL alias for License

URL alias for License

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

This URL works:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

But this one does not:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/license

While the first URL is legitimate (British spelling), so is the second
... the more so because every instance of the word "License" in our
license itself is spelled with an "s".

Can we please have some kind of forwarding from the latter to the former
or vice-versa?  I keep getting IMs from people who tell me the license
page is 404.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: URL alias for License

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 12/03/2010 11:13 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> This URL works:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence
>
> But this one does not:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/license
>
> While the first URL is legitimate (British spelling), so is the second
> ... the more so because every instance of the word "License" in our
> license itself is spelled with an "s".
>
> Can we please have some kind of forwarding from the latter to the former
> or vice-versa?  I keep getting IMs from people who tell me the license
> page is 404.

not sure I follow - those people are manually guessing at what the url
for the licence text is or do we have broken links pointing to that page?

Stefan

Re: URL alias for License

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 11:13 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> This URL works:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence
>>
>> But this one does not:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/license
>>
>> While the first URL is legitimate (British spelling), so is the second
>> ... the more so because every instance of the word "License" in our
>> license itself is spelled with an "s".
>>
>> Can we please have some kind of forwarding from the latter to the former
>> or vice-versa?  I keep getting IMs from people who tell me the license
>> page is 404.
>
> not sure I follow - those people are manually guessing at what the url for
> the licence text is or do we have broken links pointing to that page?

And why would they IM you, rather than emailing webmaster, or here?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: URL alias for License

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> not sure I follow - those people are manually guessing at what the url for
>> the licence text is or do we have broken links pointing to that page?
>
> And why would they IM you, rather than emailing webmaster, or here?

Maybe Josh told them "go to www.postgresql.org slash about slash
license" when he was in a room with them and they tried it and it
didn't work.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: URL alias for License

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Maybe Josh told them "go to www.postgresql.org slash about slash
> license" when he was in a room with them and they tried it and it
> didn't work.

Yep.  Also I've seen people "correct" the spelling and get a 404.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: URL alias for License

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 12/06/2010 08:11 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Maybe Josh told them "go to www.postgresql.org slash about slash
>> license" when he was in a room with them and they tried it and it
>> didn't work.
>
> Yep.  Also I've seen people "correct" the spelling and get a 404.

so you were in a room with those people and you told them the url in the
above words and they found it was not working so they started their IM
client to tell you (presumably still in the room) about it?

Stefan

Re: URL alias for License

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 06/12/2010 22:24, Stefan Kaltenbrunner a écrit :
> On 12/06/2010 08:11 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe Josh told them "go to www.postgresql.org slash about slash
>>> license" when he was in a room with them and they tried it and it
>>> didn't work.
>>
>> Yep.  Also I've seen people "correct" the spelling and get a 404.
>

> so you were in a room with those people and you told them the url in the
> above words and they found it was not working so they started their IM
> client to tell you (presumably still in the room) about it?

Maybe I had too much wine tonight (thanks to EDB's party in pgday.eu),
but I don't see any reason to argue on this. Both speeling are valid, so
both URL should be valid. That's not much work to do, right? or is it?
because arguing on why people IM Josh is really irrelevant.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: URL alias for License

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Yep.  Also I've seen people "correct" the spelling and get a 404.
>>

>> so you were in a room with those people and you told them the url in the
>> above words and they found it was not working so they started their IM
>> client to tell you (presumably still in the room) about it?
>>

> Maybe I had too much wine tonight (thanks to EDB's party in pgday.eu),
> but I don't see any reason to argue on this. Both speeling are valid, so
> both URL should be valid. That's not much work to do, right? or is it?
> because arguing on why people IM Josh is really irrelevant.

It's not much work to implement (well, actually It might be some work
to push out from the master server - I don't recall if we do write an
htaccess file for that). What is more important is that we don't add
arbitrary rewrite rules for for pages that aren't where someone
expects them as a) that list could become long, and b) we need to
maintain, and keep track of those links in the future, especially if
the page locations do actually change and we need to rewrite to the
new locations.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: URL alias for License

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Dave Page's message of lun dic 06 22:27:03 -0300 2010:

> It's not much work to implement (well, actually It might be some work
> to push out from the master server - I don't recall if we do write an
> htaccess file for that). What is more important is that we don't add
> arbitrary rewrite rules for for pages that aren't where someone
> expects them as a) that list could become long, and b) we need to
> maintain, and keep track of those links in the future, especially if
> the page locations do actually change and we need to rewrite to the
> new locations.

Given that it's so much work to have a redirect, the solution is simple:
just change the page from licence to license.  Surely no Brit is even
going to notice.

Re: URL alias for License

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Dave Page's message of lun dic 06 22:27:03 -0300 2010:
>
>> It's not much work to implement (well, actually It might be some work
>> to push out from the master server - I don't recall if we do write an
>> htaccess file for that). What is more important is that we don't add
>> arbitrary rewrite rules for for pages that aren't where someone
>> expects them as a) that list could become long, and b) we need to
>> maintain, and keep track of those links in the future, especially if
>> the page locations do actually change and we need to rewrite to the
>> new locations.
>
> Given that it's so much work to have a redirect, the solution is simple:
> just change the page from licence to license.  Surely no Brit is even
> going to notice.

I didn't say it was "so much work" (actually, I suggested it was
probably the opposite) - I was arguing that we shouldn't create a
system of redirects to maintain ad-infinitum for zero practical gain.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: URL alias for License

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Dave Page's message of mar dic 07 03:43:36 -0300 2010:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > Given that it's so much work to have a redirect, the solution is simple:
> > just change the page from licence to license.  Surely no Brit is even
> > going to notice.
>
> I didn't say it was "so much work" (actually, I suggested it was
> probably the opposite) - I was arguing that we shouldn't create a
> system of redirects to maintain ad-infinitum for zero practical gain.

I agree with that general policy, and I furthermore consider this one to
be a pretty reasonable exception.

I, too, have written the URL by hand only to get a 404.

Re: URL alias for License

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 14:21, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Dave Page's message of mar dic 07 03:43:36 -0300 2010:
>> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> > Given that it's so much work to have a redirect, the solution is simple:
>> > just change the page from licence to license.  Surely no Brit is even
>> > going to notice.
>>
>> I didn't say it was "so much work" (actually, I suggested it was
>> probably the opposite) - I was arguing that we shouldn't create a
>> system of redirects to maintain ad-infinitum for zero practical gain.
>
> I agree with that general policy, and I furthermore consider this one to
> be a pretty reasonable exception.
>
> I, too, have written the URL by hand only to get a 404.

I've applied a patch that redirects this in the proper place - the one
Stefan did only redirected it on wwwmaster, which is not where the end
user will see it...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: URL alias for License

От
Martin Atukunda
Дата:
On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 14:21, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Dave Page's message of mar dic 07 03:43:36 -0300 2010:

>>> I didn't say it was "so much work" (actually, I suggested it was
>>> probably the opposite) - I was arguing that we shouldn't create a
>>> system of redirects to maintain ad-infinitum for zero practical gain.
>>
>> I agree with that general policy, and I furthermore consider this one to
>> be a pretty reasonable exception.
>>
>> I, too, have written the URL by hand only to get a 404.
>
> I've applied a patch that redirects this in the proper place - the one
> Stefan did only redirected it on wwwmaster, which is not where the end
> user will see it...

Interestingly the text on the page uses the "License" form

:)

- Martin -

Re: URL alias for License

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of sáb dic 11 14:09:04 -0300 2010:

> I've applied a patch that redirects this in the proper place - the one
> Stefan did only redirected it on wwwmaster, which is not where the end
> user will see it...

Thanks!