Обсуждение: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

For various reasons (not the least is lack of reliability) the sysadmins
team is considering dropping the jabber.postgresql.org service. The
service never really took off for various reasons and does not seem to
be critical.

If we don't hear lots of wails of (one person just doesn't count, sorry)
discontent we will be removing it from DNS at the end of the week.

End of communication.

Have a nice day.

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

Дата:
> For various reasons (not the least is lack of reliability) the sysadmins
> team is considering dropping the jabber.postgresql.org service. The
> service never really took off for various reasons and does not seem to
> be critical.

This list does not seem like the place to be asking if anyone cares.
I'd suggest advertising the shutdown on pgsql-general, if you really
want a fair poll of users.
        regards, tom lane

Re: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> > For various reasons (not the least is lack of reliability) the sysadmins
> > team is considering dropping the jabber.postgresql.org service. The
> > service never really took off for various reasons and does not seem to
> > be critical.
>
> This list does not seem like the place to be asking if anyone cares.
> I'd suggest advertising the shutdown on pgsql-general, if you really
> want a fair poll of users.

Uhh... it was never a public service.

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:33:00 -0700 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > > For various reasons (not the least is lack of reliability) the
> > > sysadmins team is considering dropping the jabber.postgresql.org
> > > service. The service never really took off for various reasons
> > > and does not seem to be critical.
> >
> > This list does not seem like the place to be asking if anyone cares.
> > I'd suggest advertising the shutdown on pgsql-general, if you really
> > want a fair poll of users.
>
> Uhh... it was never a public service.

But the service was in use.

Any plans to recreate this service? It might not be a critical service,
but it's a good way to talk with other team members.

Bye

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

Дата:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:33:00 -0700 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > This list does not seem like the place to be asking if anyone cares.
> > > I'd suggest advertising the shutdown on pgsql-general, if you really
> > > want a fair poll of users.
> >
> > Uhh... it was never a public service.
>
> But the service was in use.
>
> Any plans to recreate this service? It might not be a critical service,
> but it's a good way to talk with other team members.

It was not reliable --- good riddance.  If we can't do it well, we
should not do it.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 12:30 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > But the service was in use.
> >
> > Any plans to recreate this service? It might not be a critical service,
> > but it's a good way to talk with other team members.

I don't really see a need honestly. You can use Gtalk, jabber.org or any
number of other jabber services and they can all talk to each other.

> It was not reliable --- good riddance.  If we can't do it well, we
> should not do it.

Well it was only recently unreliable in consideration of the life of the
service. The main problem with it was the hardware it is on.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: EOL for jabber.postgresql.org