Обсуждение: SEO

SEO

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Anyone know anything about search engine optimization for our
documentation?  I get mixed, random, and outdated results for some
elementary Google searches:

- postgresql create table

gives as #1 the PG 8.1 references page of CREATE TABLE and as #2 the PG
8.2 references page of CREATE TABLE AS

- postgresql setval

gives as #1 a link into the PG 7.3 static documentation and as #2 a link
into the 7.4 interactive documentation

- postgresql SQL tutorial

leads to 8.0 and 7.4 documentation

The main problem appears to be that it can't distinguish the various
versions.

Re: SEO

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Anyone know anything about search engine optimization for our
> documentation?  I get mixed, random, and outdated results for some
> elementary Google searches:

Unfortunately, the only people I know to ask are spammers.  Will check
Foundations.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: SEO

От
Mike Ellsworth
Дата:
>> Anyone know anything about search engine optimization for our
>> documentation?  I get mixed, random, and outdated results for some
>> elementary Google searches:

here?:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156412

--
Mike Ellsworth

Re: SEO

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 19:41, Mike Ellsworth<younicycle@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone know anything about search engine optimization for our
>>> documentation?  I get mixed, random, and outdated results for some
>>> elementary Google searches:
>
> here?:
>
> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156412

But we don't want to remove the old content, I think. It's still
relevant for the old versions. So if you search for "something" plus
"7.4", we want a hit. But if you just search for "something", you get
/current/.

Re: SEO

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Anyone know anything about search engine optimization for our
> documentation?  I get mixed, random, and outdated results for some
> elementary Google searches:

Actually, we can hardly blame Google for this; our own internal site
search returns hits on old docs ahead of current ones, often as not.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: SEO

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Anyone know anything about search engine optimization for our
>> documentation?  I get mixed, random, and outdated results for some
>> elementary Google searches:
>
> Actually, we can hardly blame Google for this; our own internal site
> search returns hits on old docs ahead of current ones, often as not.

We should encourage those who link to the docs to always use the /
current/ URI, rather than a versioned URI. That will help, I think.

Best,

David

Re: SEO

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> But we don't want to remove the old content, I think. It's still
> relevant for the old versions. So if you search for "something" plus
> "7.4", we want a hit. But if you just search for "something", you get
> /current/.

You can create a sitemap and define priorities for pages. It's just a
simple XML file with the list of pages and metadata for each page.

See
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34657

--
Guillaume

Re: SEO

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Guillaume Smet wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> But we don't want to remove the old content, I think. It's still
>> relevant for the old versions. So if you search for "something" plus
>> "7.4", we want a hit. But if you just search for "something", you get
>> /current/.
>
> You can create a sitemap and define priorities for pages. It's just a
> simple XML file with the list of pages and metadata for each page.
>
> See
> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184
> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34657

I was about to say "we already have that":

http://www.postgresql.org/sitemap.xml

but it looks like the script generating that is broken somehow...

Stefan

Re: SEO

От
Ron Mayer
Дата:
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> We should encourage those who link to the docs to always use the
> /current/ URI, rather than a versioned URI. That will help, I think.

If each of the old docs pages linked to the corresponding current
page (where one exists), I imagine google "pagerank" points
would "flow" to the current pages.  Would that be a practical
thing to try?

Re: SEO

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 22:33, Stefan
Kaltenbrunner<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> Guillaume Smet wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> But we don't want to remove the old content, I think. It's still
>>> relevant for the old versions. So if you search for "something" plus
>>> "7.4", we want a hit. But if you just search for "something", you get
>>> /current/.
>>
>> You can create a sitemap and define priorities for pages. It's just a
>> simple XML file with the list of pages and metadata for each page.
>>
>> See
>> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184
>> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34657
>
> I was about to say "we already have that":
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/sitemap.xml
>
> but it looks like the script generating that is broken somehow...

That's a static file, not a script :-(

I've updated it. And yes, we should probably turn that into a script :-)

Re: SEO

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 10:41, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 22:33, Stefan
> Kaltenbrunner<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>> Guillaume Smet wrote:

>>> You can create a sitemap and define priorities for pages. It's just a
>>> simple XML file with the list of pages and metadata for each page.
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184
>>> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34657
>>
>> I was about to say "we already have that":
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/sitemap.xml
>>
>> but it looks like the script generating that is broken somehow...
>
> That's a static file, not a script :-(
>
> I've updated it. And yes, we should probably turn that into a script :-)

Hmm, it would be good if somebody who knows more about it than me
could confirm this, but it looks like the sitemap needs to contain
*every URL in the docs* to be effective. The one we have now just
contains the root path of each version, but it seems it doesn't apply
to subpages?

Re: SEO

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Hmm, it would be good if somebody who knows more about it than me
> could confirm this, but it looks like the sitemap needs to contain
> *every URL in the docs* to be effective. The one we have now just
> contains the root path of each version, but it seems it doesn't apply
> to subpages?

That's what the customer we have who knows SEO very well does: they
even generate several sitemaps as they have too much pages for one
sitemap.

Note that the google webmaster tools let you upload sitemaps directly
so that you can check they are well formed and taken into account.

--
Guillaume

Re: SEO

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Guillaume Smet wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Hmm, it would be good if somebody who knows more about it than me
>> could confirm this, but it looks like the sitemap needs to contain
>> *every URL in the docs* to be effective. The one we have now just
>> contains the root path of each version, but it seems it doesn't apply
>> to subpages?
>
> That's what the customer we have who knows SEO very well does: they
> even generate several sitemaps as they have too much pages for one
> sitemap.

so we would have to include all urls in the docs to make it effective?

> Note that the google webmaster tools let you upload sitemaps directly
> so that you can check they are well formed and taken into account.

well it is well formed though I guess google cannot magically guess on
what we really want to get as a result :)

Stefan

Re: SEO

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Stefan
Kaltenbrunner<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> so we would have to include all urls in the docs to make it effective?

That's what our customer does and AFAICS it's required.

--
Guillaume