Обсуждение: Git access?

Git access?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

How do I get access to create git repositories on git.postgresql.org?

Cheers,
David (and yes, I did write <gitadmin@git.postgresql.org>.  No
response yet.)

Remember to vote!

Re: Git access?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> How do I get access to create git repositories on git.postgresql.org?
>
> Cheers,
> David (and yes, I did write <gitadmin@git.postgresql.org>.  No
> response yet.)

I think (hope?) that people are working on a better way to deal with
accounts on that one, per some previous discussion. But - that looks to
be the correct address to me, so I think you just need to be a bit more
patient...

//Magnus

Re: Git access?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 06:04:03PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > How do I get access to create git repositories on
> > git.postgresql.org?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David (and yes, I did write <gitadmin@git.postgresql.org>.  No
> > response yet.)
>
> I think (hope?) that people are working on a better way to deal with
> accounts on that one, per some previous discussion. But - that looks
> to be the correct address to me, so I think you just need to be a
> bit more patient...

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm volunteering to do work on this.  What
needs doing?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Git access?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 09:55 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 06:04:03PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > David Fetter wrote:
>
> > I think (hope?) that people are working on a better way to deal with
> > accounts on that one, per some previous discussion. But - that looks
> > to be the correct address to me, so I think you just need to be a
> > bit more patient...
>
> In case it wasn't obvious, I'm volunteering to do work on this.  What
> needs doing?

We need to non-shell account authentication. You can use something like
mod_auth_pgsql or another thing (I can't recall the name) that git
actually suggests.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Git access?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2008 schrieb David Fetter:
> How do I get access to create git repositories on git.postgresql.org?
>
> Cheers,
> David (and yes, I did write <gitadmin@git.postgresql.org>.  No
> response yet.)

I did get an email from you at that address, but it did not contain any
questions or action items, so I just archived it.

The plan is to try out gitosis for account management.  I have no experience
with this, so we'd need to play around with it first.

Re: Git access?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 13:54 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2008 schrieb David Fetter:
> > How do I get access to create git repositories on git.postgresql.org?

> The plan is to try out gitosis for account management.  I have no experience
> with this, so we'd need to play around with it first.

Peter,

Just FYI if you find you don't like that direction, let me know and I
would gladly show you how I did it for pgweb with SVN... I believe it
would work out of the box for the git stuff.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Git access?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:54:43PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2008 schrieb David Fetter:
> > How do I get access to create git repositories on git.postgresql.org?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David (and yes, I did write <gitadmin@git.postgresql.org>.  No
> > response yet.)
>
> I did get an email from you at that address, but it did not contain
> any questions or action items, so I just archived it.

Please find enclosed the email I sent.  If there was something unclear
in it, please let me know what it was.

> The plan is to try out gitosis for account management.

It's an interesting plan, but it's one that's preventing people from
using the service.  How about shelving that plan for the moment and
handing out access as needed to developers? :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Git access?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:54:43PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The plan is to try out gitosis for account management.
>
> It's an interesting plan, but it's one that's preventing people from
> using the service.  How about shelving that plan for the moment and
> handing out access as needed to developers? :)

Please don't. Handing more access out in an uncontrolled way will give
us a lot more work cleaning things up later.

//Magnus

Re: Git access?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:14:35PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:54:43PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> The plan is to try out gitosis for account management.
> >
> > It's an interesting plan, but it's one that's preventing people
> > from using the service.  How about shelving that plan for the
> > moment and handing out access as needed to developers? :)
>
> Please don't. Handing more access out in an uncontrolled way will
> give us a lot more work cleaning things up later.

With respect, I must disagree.  This resource is incredibly easy to
maintain--and practically useless--because nobody can get on there.

If somebody or somebodies here is thinking about some kind of single
sign-on[1] system for developers, let's discuss that separately.  I
don't recall anybody deciding that we were going to use one, and I
certainly don't recall that it's been decided that that decision gates
access to git.postgresql.org.

Cheers,
David.

[1]  For me, "single sign-on" reads as "high-value target" from an
attacker's point of view, and I generally think the convenience isn't
worth the cascading failure modes such systems have.

Remember to vote!

Re: Git access?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 15:00 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:14:35PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > It's an interesting plan, but it's one that's preventing people
> > > from using the service.  How about shelving that plan for the
> > > moment and handing out access as needed to developers? :)
> >
> > Please don't. Handing more access out in an uncontrolled way will
> > give us a lot more work cleaning things up later.
>
> With respect, I must disagree.  This resource is incredibly easy to
> maintain--and practically useless--because nobody can get on there.

I think the point is, we don't want to give shell accounts out. Which is
why we are waiting. That is something I can get behind. We don't need to
be handing out yet more shell accounts.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Git access?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 03:05:11PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > Please don't. Handing more access out in an uncontrolled way will
> > > give us a lot more work cleaning things up later.
> >
> > With respect, I must disagree.  This resource is incredibly easy to
> > maintain--and practically useless--because nobody can get on there.
>
> I think the point is, we don't want to give shell accounts out. Which is
> why we are waiting. That is something I can get behind. We don't need to
> be handing out yet more shell accounts.

Why not?  They can be revoked any time.

Meanwhile, people's inability to use them is costing us.  People are
hosting projects outside our system, not because they don't like our
system, but because they can't get a workable SCM from pgfoundry or
anywhere else inside our system.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Git access?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 03:12:11PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Why not?  They can be revoked any time.

Because the people who have to maintain them with the current manual
system say they're not willing to do so, because it costs them too
much time.

Adding more administrators to that pile does not help the problem, it
merely moves the problem of automation tools to another place.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/