Обсуждение: gborg abandoned projects

gborg abandoned projects

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Howdy folks,

We're still moving forward on plans to shut down gborg, and things are
progressing slowly but surely.  At this point I need to bring up the list of
abandoned projects.  Some of these projects I got no response from when
trying to contact them, some I got bounces, so thier project owners may not
be aware of whats going on.  I plan to send a copy of this list of projects
to both announce and general, to give any users a chance to claim a project
as one they actually use.  However, I suspect even then some projects will
get no takers, so we need to decide what to do with those projects.  We have
a couple of options as I see them:

1) Let the projects go the way of the dino's. If we have a copy of the server,
we'd have the ability to retrieve the code should a need come up, but
otherwise we'd be removing stuff no one seems to care about.

2) Push all the projects to pgfoundry.  This would allow easy access to the
code should someone want it, and also would provide some type of historical
record in case someone is researching a topic within the pg sphere.

Anyone have a strong preference?  Also does the specifics of the projects in
question matter? If so I can produce a list for everyone.

--
Robert Treat

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
Chris Ryan
Дата:
Robert,
   In the past I have removed "dead" projects and for those projects
that had something, usually very little, I have kept copies of the CVS
repository and any released files they had. I would think doing this
for any unclaimed projects would be best to reduce the required effort
for moving projects. We could make this list of resources available
someplace if we wanted for posterity purposes.

Chris Ryan

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 01:32:05PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> 1) Let the projects go the way of the dino's. If we have a copy of the server,
> we'd have the ability to retrieve the code should a need come up, but
> otherwise we'd be removing stuff no one seems to care about.

Like others said, as long as we keep the code repository, it should
be ok.  (And I say this as someone who just hates to see old URLs go
bad.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.                --Brad Holland

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

Here's my vote:

1) Projects with no files and no CVS (or just 1-2 files in CVS with a total of
< 1K) should simply be deleted.  These are non-projects.

2) Projects *with* files should go into some kind of legacy repository, maybe
a single project on pgFoundry called "legacy Gborg code."

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 11:39:04AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> 1) Projects with no files and no CVS (or just 1-2 files in CVS with a total of
> < 1K) should simply be deleted.  These are non-projects.

I'm really uncomfortable with that.  _No_ files is one thing, but
"just small files" is another matter.  I think the rule should be
simply, "If there's something in CVS, save it."

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.    --George Orwell

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Andrew,

> I'm really uncomfortable with that.  _No_ files is one thing, but
> "just small files" is another matter.  I think the rule should be
> simply, "If there's something in CVS, save it."

Even if it's just a header file and 50 lines of code which doesn't build?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 10:43:35AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Even if it's just a header file and 50 lines of code which doesn't build?

Yes.  Some of the best stuff I've ever done has come from me looking
at something broken.  It's actually easier to move the CVS wholesale
than to look at everything and make choices.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.    --Roger Brinner

Re: gborg abandoned projects

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Andrew,

> Yes.  Some of the best stuff I've ever done has come from me looking
> at something broken.  It's actually easier to move the CVS wholesale
> than to look at everything and make choices.

+1 on "easier".

Consensus on simply deleting projects with no CVS and no recent (last
6months) mailing list traffic?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus