Обсуждение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 12 April 2007 09:59, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Going through the logs on the new wwwmaster to find broken links, I noticed
> that almost every presskit for 8.2 contained broken links in them. Mainly
> to the sourceforge site (which missed sourceforge.net!) but also to
> regional sites, and to pages on our own site.
>
> Clearly, the verification of all the links in the presskits needs to be
> added to the presskit checklist (i assume there is one somewhere) for 8.3
> and on.
>
> (I've fixed the links for now)

Perhaps there should be some automated link checking for the postgresql
website?

--
Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 01:36:32PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 09:59, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Going through the logs on the new wwwmaster to find broken links, I noticed
> > that almost every presskit for 8.2 contained broken links in them. Mainly
> > to the sourceforge site (which missed sourceforge.net!) but also to
> > regional sites, and to pages on our own site.
> >
> > Clearly, the verification of all the links in the presskits needs to be
> > added to the presskit checklist (i assume there is one somewhere) for 8.3
> > and on.
> >
> > (I've fixed the links for now)
>
> Perhaps there should be some automated link checking for the postgresql
> website?

Taht's not a bad idea. I talked it over briefly with Dave yesterday, and we
discussed doing it in the mirror script. This can probably be done, but it
rquires some re-archtecturing of the mirror script (which may be needed
anyway, as it's very inefficient somewhere - it represents about 98% of
the CPU usage for a site build - compared to 2% for both the server-side
PHP and the database server).

That said, I *still* think we need better quality-control on the submitted
press info, given that the mirror script can only tell that a link exists,
not that it points to the correct place.

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

>> Clearly, the verification of all the links in the presskits needs to be
>> added to the presskit checklist (i assume there is one somewhere) for 8.3
>> and on.

I sent the presskit to this list for validation (nobody responded), and
pestered you on IM to validate them.  *You* told me the links were OK.

So I have it on my checklist, but if I don't get any help to
double-check them, I really don't see that I can do any better.

--Josh

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
>>> Clearly, the verification of all the links in the presskits needs to be
>>> added to the presskit checklist (i assume there is one somewhere) for
>>> 8.3
>>> and on.
>
> I sent the presskit to this list for validation (nobody responded), and
> pestered you on IM to validate them.  *You* told me the links were OK.

You mean me personally? I have no recollection at all of that, just
validating the HTML compliance. But if you say so, I must've forgotten ;-)

> So I have it on my checklist, but if I don't get any help to
> double-check them, I really don't see that I can do any better.

It's good that it's on the checklist. It could be that we need the
regional contacts to verify the links on their language version once the
code has been added to the website? It can be hard to check links in say
japanese...

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

Well, you only did the english version.  Are you saying that links got
broken *after* translation?  That could be an issue I really didn't
think of ... well, to be more accurate, I didn't think of any way to do
anything about it.

Suggestions?  The automated link checker mentioned?

The issue is that we often don't get final translations until ~~ 3 days
before the release, and we have a lot of them.  So I'm not sure checking
by hand will help.

--Josh

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Well, you only did the english version.  Are you saying that links got
> broken *after* translation?  That could be an issue I really didn't
> think of ... well, to be more accurate, I didn't think of any way to do
> anything about it.

Both. There was one broken link in the template that propagated to a lot of files (But some translators fixed it in
theircopy). and several different ones in

different translations.

> Suggestions?  The automated link checker mentioned?

That would help, but it can only get so far. I think for something as important as the press kit we need manual
checking.I think it would help to ask the

translators to doublecheck all links after the page has gone up on the website.

> The issue is that we often don't get final translations until ~~ 3 days
> before the release, and we have a lot of them.  So I'm not sure checking
> by hand will help.

Well, if we run out of time it's still better to have it fixed a couple of days later than not at all.

/Magnus