Обсуждение: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

Дата:
I've been getting NXDOMAIN since last night sometime:

$ dig www.pgbuildfarm.org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.pgbuildfarm.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.pgbuildfarm.org.           IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
org.                    10647   IN      SOA     tld1.ultradns.net. domadmin.ultradns.net. 2006219455 1800 900 604800
86400

;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sun Oct 22 13:23:18 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 99

Anybody know what's up?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 01:24:35PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I've been getting NXDOMAIN since last night sometime:

% whois pgbuildfarm.org
[...]
Domain ID:D105026698-LROR
Domain Name:PGBUILDFARM.ORG
Created On:20-Oct-2004 03:39:13 UTC
Last Updated On:21-Oct-2006 08:56:48 UTC
Expiration Date:20-Oct-2007 03:39:13 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
Status:CLIENT HOLD

Maybe the domain expired and hasn't been re-added to the .org
nameservers since being renewed?

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

Дата:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> Maybe the domain expired and hasn't been re-added to the .org
> nameservers since being renewed?

Hm, could be.  But whois was showing a 2007 expiration date when I
looked last night (well over 12 hours ago now) ... so somebody's being
pretty slow about their updates if that's the answer.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
>> Maybe the domain expired and hasn't been re-added to the .org
>> nameservers since being renewed?
>
> Hm, could be.  But whois was showing a 2007 expiration date when I
> looked last night (well over 12 hours ago now) ... so somebody's being
> pretty slow about their updates if that's the answer.

The problem is the domain *did* expire. It was expired for about 6
hours. I of course renewed it, which is reflective in the whois record.
However, for some reason the .Org and/or Discount Domain Registry
haven't released the client hold, although the did update the
expiration. There is nothing I can do until morning at which time I will
call them.

I will note that there were other oddities happening when this all went
down. Jan and I both noticed that .info and .org were not returning
whois records for a time. Don't know if it is related but who knows.

Anyway and interim fix for people is to use 207.173.203.146 in their
hosts file for www.pgbuildfarm.org.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 08:00:10PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I will note that there were other oddities happening when this all went
> down. Jan and I both noticed that .info and .org were not returning
> whois records for a time. Don't know if it is related but who knows.

No; there was a maintenance of the whois system.

This domain is on CLIENT hold, which means one of two things:

-You need to update the record to put it in DNS

-Your registrar is blocking it being re-added to DNS for reasons
having to do with payment not having completed or something.

> Anyway and interim fix for people is to use 207.173.203.146 in their
> hosts file for www.pgbuildfarm.org.

That's a really bad idea.  People will forget to remove it later, and
then when the IP changes, it'll break.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie

Re: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 08:18:21AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > down. Jan and I both noticed that .info and .org were not returning
> > whois records for a time. Don't know if it is related but who knows.
>
> No; there was a maintenance of the whois system.

Actually, that's false.  There wasn't a maintenance of .org's whois.
I was confused.  It's possible you got rate limited out, though.
That happens if you ask too often, in an effort to block whois
harvesters.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland