Обсуждение: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

От
Josh Berkus
Survey:

Where did you get your current production copy of PostgreSQL from?

1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
2) In a Linux distribution
3) In the Ports Collection
4) From some other Open Source web site
5) Some other way

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:07:12PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Survey:
>
> Where did you get your current production copy of PostgreSQL from?
>
> 1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
> 2) In a Linux distribution
> 3) In the Ports Collection
> 4) From some other Open Source web site
> 5) Some other way

What about packages for Windows & Mac?  Also, why the bias towards
source installs and *n*x systems?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Friday 09 September 2005 03:40, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:07:12PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Survey:
> >
> > Where did you get your current production copy of PostgreSQL from?
> >
> > 1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
> > 2) In a Linux distribution
> > 3) In the Ports Collection
> > 4) From some other Open Source web site
> > 5) Some other way
>
> What about packages for Windows & Mac?  Also, why the bias towards
> source installs and *n*x systems?

David, is there some other site that offers Windows download packages? I mean,
unless your getting it from us I don't know how else people would get it.

Josh are you sure these categories are specific enough... I see some confusion
for debian/gentoo users, and perhaps Fink should be mentioned for OSX? Of
course we only get 8 slots... How about

1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
2) Included with your Operating System Distribution (Ports/Fink/Yum/Apt/etc..)
3) Some other Open Source website
4) Commerical Distribution (Powergres/EnterpriseDB/Bizgres/etc..)
5) Other

We could also ask them to email "Other" entries to webmaster or something...
we could then add in a suggestion or two if they come.

--
Robert Treat

Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:07:12PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Survey:
>>
>>Where did you get your current production copy of PostgreSQL from?
>>
>>1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
>>2) In a Linux distribution
>>3) In the Ports Collection
>>4) From some other Open Source web site
>>5) Some other way
>>

>What about packages for Windows & Mac?  Also, why the bias towards
>source installs and *n*x systems?

Well I think the reason for the bias is obvious... you aren't l33t
unless you are doing source installs with a *n*x system. Well
really that doesn't even qualify... it has to be a FreeBSD *n*x
system. ;)

Joshua D. Drake

>Cheers,

Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:07:12PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Survey:
>>>
>>> Where did you get your current production copy of PostgreSQL from?
>>>
>>> 1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
>>> 2) In a Linux distribution
>>> 3) In the Ports Collection
>>> 4) From some other Open Source web site
>>> 5) Some other way
>>>

>> What about packages for Windows & Mac?  Also, why the bias towards
>> source installs and *n*x systems?
>>
> Well I think the reason for the bias is obvious... you aren't l33t
> unless you are doing source installs with a *n*x system. Well
> really that doesn't even qualify... it has to be a FreeBSD *n*x
> system. ;)

Actually, 3 doesn't necessarily == source install either, since almost all
"ports" are available as pre-built binaries that you can download and
install ... its still all considered part of the "Ports Collection" though

Same as with Linux, where you can download either the .rpm or the .srpm, I
believe?

But, I agree with Robert's list, vs this one, since "Ports" should be
classified as "With Operating System Distribution" ... try and make it
more generic, since we don't mention Solaris packages in the above, etc

----

Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

От
"Lance Obermeyer"
Дата:
I imagine the response will be zero, but an interesting one to add would be

6) Included with or embedded in another application, appliance, or device

It would really be interesting to know how many different embedded usages of Postgres there are and how many people
knowit is even there.