Обсуждение: Please change link to pginstaller

Please change link to pginstaller

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

Please change http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew:

There's a link to pginstaller at pgfoundry at the end of the 1st paragraph.
Please update that to point to the mirrors and bittorrent; we don't want
people downloading pginstaller from pgfoundry, since it's NOT mirrored.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Please change http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew:
>
> There's a link to pginstaller at pgfoundry at the end of the 1st paragraph.
> Please update that to point to the mirrors and bittorrent; we don't want
> people downloading pginstaller from pgfoundry, since it's NOT mirrored.

I have purchased a stack of pginstaller.org/.com/.net/.info domain names
to help promote this project. I can probably set up a mirror to provide
downloads for the installer as well. Can I get some idea of the download
rates so I know how much bandwidth to purchase?

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Please change http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew:
> >
> > There's a link to pginstaller at pgfoundry at the end of
> the 1st paragraph.
> > Please update that to point to the mirrors and bittorrent; we don't
> > want people downloading pginstaller from pgfoundry, since
> it's NOT mirrored.
>
> I have purchased a stack of pginstaller.org/.com/.net/.info
> domain names to help promote this project. I can probably set
> up a mirror to provide downloads for the installer as well.
> Can I get some idea of the download rates so I know how much
> bandwidth to purchase?

I think it's better to direct downloads to the standard way. It gives us
download tracking ;-), and it also makes it appear more as "the official
postgresql installer" (which I beleive it is).

That said, please feel free to point this domains to whatever we have.

Another thought - the win32 install FAQ is now on
http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org, along with the step-by-step
walkthrough. Should this be merged onto the main site to be mirrored?
How does pgFoundry deal with serving up the static pages?

//Magnus

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > Please change http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew:
> > >
> > > There's a link to pginstaller at pgfoundry at the end of
> > the 1st paragraph.
> > > Please update that to point to the mirrors and bittorrent; we don't
> > > want people downloading pginstaller from pgfoundry, since
> > it's NOT mirrored.
> >
> > I have purchased a stack of pginstaller.org/.com/.net/.info
> > domain names to help promote this project. I can probably set
> > up a mirror to provide downloads for the installer as well.
> > Can I get some idea of the download rates so I know how much
> > bandwidth to purchase?
>
> I think it's better to direct downloads to the standard way. It gives us
> download tracking ;-), and it also makes it appear more as "the official
> postgresql installer" (which I beleive it is).

I believe that pginstaller is totally buried on pgfoundry. And as others
pointed out, there are load/bandwidth considerations. I can do download
tracking for you and I will have a few hundred GB/month bandwidth.

What I have in mind is a single page with promotional material, links to
screen shots, a link to download the most recent version and a link to
the pgfoundry page for more information. The only annoying bit is keeping
the page up to date with the latest version. Its not a huge problem but.

What do you think?

Gavin

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
<snip>
> I think it's better to direct downloads to the standard way. It gives us
> download tracking ;-), and it also makes it appear more as "the official
> postgresql installer" (which I beleive it is).

We might be able to update the download counting script to redirect to
Gavin's servers for the pginstaller version.

Also, since he's running the pginstaller server, he can probably make
reciprocal scripts for sending stats back to us for counting with in
case something's missed.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

<snip>

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Please change http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew:
>
> There's a link to pginstaller at pgfoundry at the end of the 1st paragraph.
> Please update that to point to the mirrors and bittorrent; we don't want
> people downloading pginstaller from pgfoundry, since it's NOT mirrored.

Do we need to change the pginstaller URL in the release notes, and if
so, to what?

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Do we need to change the pginstaller URL in the release notes, and if
> > so, to what?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/

OK, updated CVS head and 8.0.X.  Shame the new URL doesn't look as nice
as the pgfoundry page.

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>>> Do we need to change the pginstaller URL in the release notes, and if
>>> so, to what?
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/
>
> OK, updated CVS head and 8.0.X.  Shame the new URL doesn't look as nice
> as the pgfoundry page.

Is there a reason we can't setup:

http://dl.pgfoundry.org/pginstaller

that aliases directly to the above?

----

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Bruce,

> >> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/
> >
> > OK, updated CVS head and 8.0.X.  Shame the new URL doesn't look as nice
> > as the pgfoundry page.
>
> Is there a reason we can't setup:
>
> http://dl.pgfoundry.org/pginstaller
>
> that aliases directly to the above?

Sorry, I meant to say the page pointed to by the URL isn't as nice, not
the URL itself.

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
"Dave Page"

Done.

/D

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
"Dave Page"

There is no need - it's already mirrored across the entire mirror
network. I would suggest you redirect your domains to the pgfoundry site
- we only upload HTML placeholder files there now that redirect ppl to
the mirror network.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Please change link to pginstaller

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:

> > > the 1st paragraph.
> > > it's NOT mirrored.
> > >
> > > I have purchased a stack of
> pginstaller.org/.com/.net/.info domain
> > > names to help promote this project. I can probably set up
> a mirror
> > > to provide downloads for the installer as well.
> > > Can I get some idea of the download rates so I know how much
> > > bandwidth to purchase?
> >
> > I think it's better to direct downloads to the standard
> way. It gives
> > us download tracking ;-), and it also makes it appear more as "the
> > official postgresql installer" (which I beleive it is).
>
> I believe that pginstaller is totally buried on pgfoundry.
> And as others pointed out, there are load/bandwidth
> considerations. I can do download tracking for you and I will
> have a few hundred GB/month bandwidth.
>
> What I have in mind is a single page with promotional
> material, links to screen shots, a link to download the most
> recent version and a link to the pgfoundry page for more
> information. The only annoying bit is keeping the page up to
> date with the latest version. Its not a huge problem but.
>
> What do you think?

I think you are missing my point ;-)

I don't think we should differentiate the pginstaller too much from
postgresql. Which is why I think it should be on the main site. I like
the promotional stuff, but I'd like to see that on the main page as
well.

If it's ther, it will automatically be mirrored along with the rest of
the main site, which should by far have enuogh bandwidth. And I'm
talking about the download tracking Dave did for the main site, not the
pgFoundry download tracking.

I'm all for getting the main parts off pgfoundry (that includes
redirecting pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org if necessary - probably
will be), but I think it's better to move it to the main site than to
set up Yet Another Site. IMHO, there are too many different pg sites
already. AFAIK the plan was to make them less (folding advocacy etc into
the main site, for example). It just seems wrong to create yet another
one.

//Magnus