Обсуждение: Irresponsible actions

Irresponsible actions

От
Omar Kilani
Дата:
Hi,

This:

http://www.postgresql.org/

Looks very much like this:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org

Despite this:

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:03:46 +1100
From: Omar Kilani <omar@tinysofa.org>
To: pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Cc: Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
Subject: Site is not ready for launch [Was: Re: Launch now???]

> *** With that in mind, unless there are any screams of objection I
> will make the site live tomorrow AM (GMT). ***

Consider this a scream of objection. A half-finished site is *not* a
site that's ready for launch. The site in its current state would
reflect very poorly on PostgreSQL.

--

All the problems we mentioned in the above email, sans one fixed link,
are still present.

Putting the site live as you did was not a wise move, as broken links
are prevalent and in some cases entire sections were broken because you
cut corners and did not allow time for testing. Making changes to CVS
*just before you go live* is hardly a well thought out methodology. As a
result of this, the documentation section was entirely broken.

I suggest that you heed objections in the future, if you write to the
community seeking them.

Your actions are reckless, thoughtless and without consensus. Perhaps
roles in the PostgreSQL web team need to be rethought, so that positions
of responsibility are given only to those who are team players.

In the future, please, think before you do.

Omar Kilani
Emily Boyd

Re: Irresponsible actions

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Omar Kilani wrote:

> Your actions are reckless, thoughtless and without consensus. Perhaps
> roles in the PostgreSQL web team need to be rethought, so that positions
> of responsibility are given only to those who are team players.

Odd, are you missing email's or something?  Or am I?  I saw Dave's note
about putting it live, and I saw your changes without discussion (negating
you as a 'team player') to the text Dave put in place ...

----

Re: Irresponsible actions

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
> Odd, are you missing email's or something?  Or am I?  I saw Dave's note
> about putting it live, and I saw your changes without discussion
> (negating you as a 'team player') to the text Dave put in place ...

Guys, relax.

The site's up and it really generates a much better first impression
than the old one, even thought it's not perfect.

Good job Omar, Emily, Dave, Alexey, and the many others who put time and
effort into it.

We all know that given another week or so the rest of the outstanding
bits should be fixed, and we'll have further feedback about
totally-unknown problems coming in too.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: Irresponsible actions

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> We all know that given another week or so the rest of the outstanding
> bits should be fixed, and we'll have further feedback about
> totally-unknown problems coming in too.

The site looks great! Good job everyone.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Irresponsible actions

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> We all know that given another week or so the rest of the outstanding bits
>> should be fixed, and we'll have further feedback about totally-unknown
>> problems coming in too.
>
> The site looks great! Good job everyone.

I noticed, that:

1. The site has no favicon and "SHORTCUT ICON". What's a reason to remove them ?
2. There are no margings or paddings when width of browser's  (firefox 1.0)
    window is < 765. This is very inconvenient.

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> Regards and best wishes,
>>
>> Justin Clift

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Irresponsible actions

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 22 December 2004 14:53, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> We all know that given another week or so the rest of the outstanding
> >> bits should be fixed, and we'll have further feedback about
> >> totally-unknown problems coming in too.
> >
> > The site looks great! Good job everyone.
>
> I noticed, that:
>
> 1. The site has no favicon and "SHORTCUT ICON". What's a reason to remove
> them ?

If there was a reason, it is because it was overlooked. However I am still
getting the favicon... can someone else duplicate the problem?

> 2. There are no margings or paddings when width of browser's
> (firefox 1.0) window is < 765. This is very inconvenient.

I'll just say grrr a few times and mumble about fluid designs to myself...
eventually this is going to have to be changed.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Irresponsible actions

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

>>> The site looks great! Good job everyone.
>>
>> I noticed, that:
>>
>> 1. The site has no favicon and "SHORTCUT ICON". What's a reason to remove
>> them ?
>
> If there was a reason, it is because it was overlooked. However I am still
> getting the favicon... can someone else duplicate the problem?

megera@mira:~ $>curl -I http://www.postgresql.org/favicon.ico
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found