Обсуждение: Search engine is not working

Search engine is not working

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Re: Search engine is not working

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 06:28, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Interactive docs does not seem to be working. "Any" query returns no
> result.
>
> Could someone please take a look at it?

When I search on "any" I get "Error in query: Only stopword(s) are used
in query. You must specify at least one non-stop word" is that what you
mean or something else?

btw, is now a bad time to post about a discrepancy between the search on
www and the search on archives?  The following query looks for the word
"weekly" in pgsql-announce list restricted to the last month:

http://archives.postgresql.org/s.cgi?q=weekly&cs=utf-8&st=7&ul=http%3A%2F%2Farchives.postgresql.org%2Fpgsql-announce%2F%25&dt=back&dp=1m&o=0&ps=10

0 results.

but the same query on www returns a bunch of results...

http://www.postgresql.org/s.cgi?q=weekly&cs=utf-8&st=7&ul=http%3A%2F%2Farchives.postgresql.org%2Fpgsql-announce%2F%25&dt=back&dp=1m&o=0&ps=10

anyone have any thoughts on the discrepancy?

Robert Treat

Re: Search engine is not working

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On 15 Jun 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> When I search on "any" I get "Error in query: Only stopword(s) are used
> in query. You must specify at least one non-stop word" is that what you
> mean or something else?

:-)

I meant "whatever you type in the textbox, it does not return any
results".

Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim~gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
            http://www.tdmsoft.com
            http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Dave Page"

A stop-word is one considered so common that searching for it is a
pointless waste of resources, thus it is ignored.

> btw, is now a bad time to post about a discrepancy between
> the search on www and the search on archives?  The following
> query looks for the word "weekly" in pgsql-announce list
> restricted to the last month:

That's because they're currently running on different backend databases.
The one on www is using John's server as the search daemon. The one on
archives is using search.postgresql.org (which just can't seem to keep
up with the indexing. It's on my todo list to move archives over to
John's box as well (which despite being on the end of a bit of a damp
piece of string somewhere in the Aussie outback, seems to work quite
well :-) )

/D

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> That's because they're currently running on different backend databases.
> The one on www is using John's server as the search daemon. The one on
> archives is using search.postgresql.org (which just can't seem to keep
> up with the indexing. It's on my todo list to move archives over to
> John's box as well (which despite being on the end of a bit of a damp
> piece of string somewhere in the Aussie outback, seems to work quite
> well :-) )

I sent a 'report' of sorts to -core already on this, but pending a wire
transfer tomorrow, we are ordering a Dual-Athlon server for the network as
soon as it arrives ... at the same time, we are also upgrading our network
switch from an unmanaged Linksys 10/100 switch to a Managed Dell Procurve
10/100 one to fix some network issues ...

... most of the hardware is being picked up in Panama, but the
motherboard/RAM are being picked up up here (MB is easier to get, and RAM
is about half the cost) ... so there will be some delay on getting the MB
in and ship'd down ... but this at least shines a light at the end of the
tunnel ...

Nobody on this list happens to work for a hardware supplier, do they?

----

Re: Search engine is not working

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 08:30:56PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>
> >That's because they're currently running on different backend databases.
> >The one on www is using John's server as the search daemon. The one on
> >archives is using search.postgresql.org (which just can't seem to keep
> >up with the indexing. It's on my todo list to move archives over to
> >John's box as well (which despite being on the end of a bit of a damp
> >piece of string somewhere in the Aussie outback, seems to work quite
> >well :-) )
>
> I sent a 'report' of sorts to -core already on this, but pending a wire
> transfer tomorrow, we are ordering a Dual-Athlon server for the network as
> soon as it arrives ... at the same time, we are also upgrading our network
> switch from an unmanaged Linksys 10/100 switch to a Managed Dell Procurve
> 10/100 one to fix some network issues ...

Three cheers for Marc!!!

> ... most of the hardware is being picked up in Panama, but the
> motherboard/RAM are being picked up up here (MB is easier to get,
> and RAM is about half the cost) ... so there will be some delay on
> getting the MB in and ship'd down ... but this at least shines a
> light at the end of the tunnel ...
>
> Nobody on this list happens to work for a hardware supplier, do
> they?

I am awaiting results on a purchase of some bumpin' hardware loaded
with FreeBSD and PostgreSQL.  Things look very promising from this
source, but until I've got it burned in, it's premature to say.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, David Fetter wrote:

> I am awaiting results on a purchase of some bumpin' hardware loaded with
> FreeBSD and PostgreSQL.  Things look very promising from this source,
> but until I've got it burned in, it's premature to say.

'k ... the problem is that the Tyan board we need, I've been told is a 2
week wait ... not a biggie ...

----

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Dave Page"

Ugh, Tyan - had a couple of those once, nothing but trouble.

:-(

/D

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Dave Page"

Currently both search engines are running on John's server, and I've
added a 'search powered by' link to www.postgresql.org/s.cgi in the same
place as it says 'project hosted by' on the rest of the site. I'm of a
mind to leave it like that for now - John has offered to provide this
service, and frankly he knows more about search engines than I suspect
most of the rest of us do. On the plus side for hub.org, this does
offload a service that you regularly complain to me about Marc :-)

On the hardware side of things, I have access to lots of hardware - my
biggest problem being internet bandwidth (though I do have another dsl
line going in shortly). If you can think of anything else that can be
offloaded to a linux based VM system....

Regards Dave.

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, David Fetter wrote:
>>
>>> I am awaiting results on a purchase of some bumpin' hardware loaded
>>> with FreeBSD and PostgreSQL.  Things look very promising from this
>>> source, but until I've got it burned in, it's premature to say.
>>
>> 'k ... the problem is that the Tyan board we need, I've been
>> told is a 2 week wait ... not a biggie ...
>
> Ugh, Tyan - had a couple of those once, nothing but trouble.

Everyone I've talked to on the FreeBSD side has had nothing bug good
things to say about them ... in fact, we're running an Tyan/Intel board in
mars right now, that we haven't had any problems with ...

----

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Dave Page"

Fair enough - like I said, I only had a couple (and that was some years
ago).

/D

Re: Search engine is not working

От
"Fred Moyer"
Дата:
> Nobody on this list happens to work for a hardware supplier, do they?

I am good buddies with someone who has a great hardware connection.  Email
me off list if you want to explore this option.

Fred