Обсуждение: Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
"Dave Page"

Congrats!

> > Let's get those basic things done, and live with the
> existing content,
> > and *then* start looking at merging sites and restucturing
> content etc.
> > Once everything works, that should be a lot easier.
>
> Am I on the right page? Or reading the wrong book?

Sounds good to me.

> By the way, congratulations on getting the presskits and
> pages up! From the flurry of mail earlier this week, you guys
> put together a lot of stuff in a short time.

Hehehe, thanks. That continued late into the night (UK time) on irc!

Regards, Dave.

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
"Dave Page"

Huh? We can upload them, test them, get them round the mirrors etc.
weeks in advance, and then just advertise/create  the links at the last
minute.

> Which lead to some hellish problems with encodings, something
> to consider for multi-lingualism.

Most of those problems we caused because docs were editted after I had
sorted out a number of other issues. As a result, a simple fix to the
encodings overwrote lots of other changes. That should not have
happened, especially as I had already posted a message to say that I had
made the changes, *and* that the files were now under source control.

Next time, once the files are submitted to the web team, we must ensure
that *all* changes are made direct to the CVS. Barring emergencies, I'm
the only person that should be editting anything in the live webspace as
I'm the only one that can commit changes from there back to CVS.

Thanks :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

Chill!   I'm not blaming you for any of the problems.   We were disorganized,
that's all.   This was the *first* real press-splash release we've done, and
chaos is a consequence of that.

> Huh? We can upload them, test them, get them round the mirrors etc.
> weeks in advance, and then just advertise/create  the links at the last
> minute.

Oh.  Well, I was listening to Marc and Robert who I thought said we couldn't.

Also, there were some delays on the translation side, as I kept getting
corrections up until Thursday last week.  That can hopefully be fixed with
firmer deadlines in the future ...

> Next time, once the files are submitted to the web team, we must ensure
> that *all* changes are made direct to the CVS. Barring emergencies, I'm
> the only person that should be editting anything in the live webspace as
> I'm the only one that can commit changes from there back to CVS.

It certianly seemed like an emergency at the time.   I had 50 e-mails in my
inbox about messed-up encodings, and you were asleep, Robert was
out-of-touch, and Devrim didn't know anything.

Now I know a lot more about how the website works ... and hopefully we'll have
a new infrastructure by 7.5/8.0.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Huh? We can upload them, test them, get them round the mirrors etc.
> > weeks in advance, and then just advertise/create  the links at the last
> > minute.
>
> Oh.  Well, I was listening to Marc and Robert who I thought said we
> couldn't.

Oops, fell out of this thread early ... what can't we do?

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> > Oh.  Well, I was listening to Marc and Robert who I thought said we
> > couldn't.
>
> Oops, fell out of this thread early ... what can't we do?

I believe that I asked you & Robert (seperately) whether there was any way we
could set up the 7.4 announcements in advance (like last Wednesday) and only
"activate" them on Monday.   I thought that both of you said that we
couldn't.

However, it is also possible that we just didn't communicate.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
> > > Oh.  Well, I was listening to Marc and Robert who I thought said we
> > > couldn't.
> >
> > Oops, fell out of this thread early ... what can't we do?
>
> I believe that I asked you & Robert (seperately) whether there was any way we
> could set up the 7.4 announcements in advance (like last Wednesday) and only
> "activate" them on Monday.   I thought that both of you said that we
> couldn't.
>
> However, it is also possible that we just didn't communicate.

I don't recall the email *sigh*

there is no reason why we couldn't have though, that I'm aware of ...
you'd have to link them into the main page(s) the night before to give a
chance for the mirrors to grab it, but as long as its not link'd in,
unless I'm mis-understanding, then you should be able to do it ...

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
<note that only 1/2 of this thread has come through to me>

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:12, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

Well, I'm guilty of having made changes on the live server in the past,
though I think I have always sent a note immediately afterword to you
informing you of the change.  One potential issue we have all had though
is that when developing the site you need a copy of the database on hand
in order to get things working. I've manually pulled these down for
myself in the past, but would you see an issue with checking in a
pg_dump of the www server to cvs, so others could recreate a copy of the
site?

Robert Treat

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Archeron
Дата:
On November 19, 2003 12:59, Robert Treat wrote:
> Well, I'm guilty of having made changes on the live server in the past,
> though I think I have always sent a note immediately afterword to you
> informing you of the change.  One potential issue we have all had though
> is that when developing the site you need a copy of the database on hand
> in order to get things working. I've manually pulled these down for
> myself in the past, but would you see an issue with checking in a
> pg_dump of the www server to cvs, so others could recreate a copy of the
> site?
>
> Robert Treat
  I was thinking the same thing myself after having to haywire php files
together just to get a (broken) page to display.  A pg_dump does not even
have to be in cvs really, just copied to a location on the web, say when the
backup pg_dump happens on the server. (Which I assume happens?)
 -Wade Klaver
--
Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think.

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail .

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
"Dave Page"

Wow, I must have phrased that more harshly than I thought, sorry! I
thought it all went quite well actually, but wanted to point out where
things could be improved next time.

> > Huh? We can upload them, test them, get them round the mirrors etc.
> > weeks in advance, and then just advertise/create  the links at the
> > last minute.
>
> Oh.  Well, I was listening to Marc and Robert who I thought
> said we couldn't.

Ahh, well ;-)

> It certianly seemed like an emergency at the time.   I had 50
> e-mails in my
> inbox about messed-up encodings, and you were asleep, Robert
> was out-of-touch, and Devrim didn't know anything.

Asleep? I just left the office, went home for dinner, put the offspring
to bed then got the laptop out again!

I did go to sleep however - right after I said 'I going to sleep now' to
which (iirc) you said 'Good night'!!

:-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
"Dave Page"

The big problem with that is that the database is pretty large (~250MB
iirc). You can always setup a working copy elsewhere on the main server
- www.postgresql.org/~xzilla should work if you create a public_html
directory in your home dir.

Alternatively, we can always setup a dedicated vhost.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
"Dave Page"

Hub.org handle the backups (at least I hope they do!). As I said to
Robert, the dump is v.large as it also contains the search engine data.

I'll see if I can do a cut down dump for testing purposes sometime.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 15:11, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Marc,

> > > Oops, fell out of this thread early ... what can't we do?
> >
> > I believe that I asked you & Robert (seperately) whether there was any way we
> > could set up the 7.4 announcements in advance (like last Wednesday) and only
> > "activate" them on Monday.   I thought that both of you said that we
> > couldn't.
> >
> > However, it is also possible that we just didn't communicate.
>
> I don't recall the email *sigh*
>
> there is no reason why we couldn't have though, that I'm aware of ...
> you'd have to link them into the main page(s) the night before to give a
> chance for the mirrors to grab it, but as long as its not link'd in,
> unless I'm mis-understanding, then you should be able to do it ...

yes, you can do it on the main www page - we have an active bit for each
new item.  however, and this must be where the confusion came in, josh,
when you asked me about it you were asking about the advocacy site,
which we can't really do, since the news item strings have to be hard
coded into the files in order for them to display... two thoughts on
that are that we could put the strings in though you would be able to
see them all on actual pages before hand and possibly we could do some
hackery with &test=1 type tech to only display with a manually passed in
url. personally i'd rather see the main site translation be done and
then deprecate the advocacy site...

Robert Treat