Обсуждение: Where is the summary of interactive docs' comments?

Where is the summary of interactive docs' comments?

Дата:
In previous release cycles it was helpful to use
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/checknotes.php
to look at all the comments that had been entered on the interactive
documentation pages.

But now I can't get to it :-(.  The URL seems to get redirected to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/checknotes.php
(not "idocs") which may or may not be the problem.

Anyone know if that page is still available?  If so, where?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Where is the summary of interactive docs' comments?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Saturday 15 November 2003 13:45, Tom Lane wrote:
> In previous release cycles it was helpful to use
> http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/checknotes.php
> to look at all the comments that had been entered on the interactive
> documentation pages.
>
> But now I can't get to it :-(.  The URL seems to get redirected to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/checknotes.php
> (not "idocs") which may or may not be the problem.
>
> Anyone know if that page is still available?  If so, where?

I don't see it anywhere on the site or in CVS :-(

What was the basic functionality? Did it just list each comment along with its
page? We might be able to whip up something crude like that if you want...

Robert Treat

Re: Where is the summary of interactive docs' comments?

Дата:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Saturday 15 November 2003 13:45, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In previous release cycles it was helpful to use
>> http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/checknotes.php
>> to look at all the comments that had been entered on the interactive
>> documentation pages.

> What was the basic functionality? Did it just list each comment along
> with its page? We might be able to whip up something crude like that
> if you want...

Basically it extracted all the idocs comments on one page, instead of
having to go rooting through the individual pages of the docs to find
them.  I forget whether there was any convenient link to the pages the
comments were actually entered on.

There's no hurry about it now, because I went ahead and rooted through
all the individual pages :-( --- so that task is done for this release
cycle.  But maybe someone could think about resurrecting the
functionality sometime in future.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Where is the summary of interactive docs' comments?

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Tom,

No, the iDocs system was completely rewritten, I was not even aware of
checknotes.php.

How would you want it to behave now that the system is multi-version
aware?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Where is the summary of interactive docs' comments?

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> Anyone know if that page is still available?  If so, where?

> No, the iDocs system was completely rewritten, I was not even aware of
> checknotes.php.

Oh, okay.  It was just a quick hack that Vince had done at some point.

> How would you want it to behave now that the system is multi-version
> aware?

I guess it would be nice to pull all of the comments that are associated
with a particular version of the docs.

BTW, I noticed while I was trolling through the comments that a lot of
the comments currently visible on the 7.3 idocs pages appear to be
there that flushes old comments?  If not, maybe there's a problem with
the versioning logic.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Where is the summary of interactive docs' comments?

От
"Dave Page"

I suspect that happened when the comments were split into releases. In
the old system, updates to the new docs following releases was usually
not particularly timely. When I built the multi-version system though, I
attached comments to pages based on the release date of the version and
the posting date of the comment. Anyway, you might find the earlier
comments on the previous version of the same page.

This of course will not happen anymore...

Regards, Dave.

Need emergency PG-WWW help

От
Josh Berkus
People:

Wade & Robert were in charge of getting the press kits up on
www.postgresql.org yesterday.  However, I've seen no work done on the site
and cannot seem to reach either of them by e-mail.    Given that, I may need
some emergency help to get the files final-formatted and uploaded tonight.

Please e-mail me back if anyone can help, or find me on IRC in about an hour.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Need emergency PG-WWW help

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
I'll be around until about 9pm or so your time ... my Yahoo! id is
yscrappy if you need to get ahold of me ...

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> People:
>
> Wade & Robert were in charge of getting the press kits up on
> www.postgresql.org yesterday.  However, I've seen no work done on the site
> and cannot seem to reach either of them by e-mail.    Given that, I may need
> some emergency help to get the files final-formatted and uploaded tonight.
>
> Please e-mail me back if anyone can help, or find me on IRC in about an hour.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Need emergency PG-WWW help

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Just saw this email... i've been popping on/off irc all day and spot checking
email, i havent seen anything from wade yet... leave me a message on irc if
you need something, i'll be checking in and out for the next few hours...

Robert Treat

On Sunday 16 November 2003 20:12, Josh Berkus wrote:
> People:
>
> Wade & Robert were in charge of getting the press kits up on
> www.postgresql.org yesterday.  However, I've seen no work done on the site
> and cannot seem to reach either of them by e-mail.    Given that, I may
> need some emergency help to get the files final-formatted and uploaded
> tonight.
>
> Please e-mail me back if anyone can help, or find me on IRC in about an
> hour.

Re: Need emergency PG-WWW help

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> I'll be around until about 9pm or so your time ... my Yahoo! id is
> yscrappy if you need to get ahold of me ...

Thanks, hopefully Robert can help me.   I suck at HTML and don't know my way
around the postgresql.org web code.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Need emergency PG-WWW help

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > I'll be around until about 9pm or so your time ... my Yahoo! id is
> > yscrappy if you need to get ahold of me ...
>
> Thanks, hopefully Robert can help me.   I suck at HTML and don't know my way
> around the postgresql.org web code.

I am on IRC now.

Re: Need emergency PG-WWW help

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> I'll be around until about 9pm or so your time ... my Yahoo! id is
> yscrappy if you need to get ahold of me ...

Given that everyone else is on the East Coast, I may need commit rights on
pgweb.  Can you give them to me?   And if I commit stuff to PGWeb does it
automatically show up on the web site?  How does that work?

Also I'll need someone to commit the News item when I'm done.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Need emergency PG-WWW help

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
> > I'll be around until about 9pm or so your time ... my Yahoo! id is
> > yscrappy if you need to get ahold of me ...
>
> Given that everyone else is on the East Coast, I may need commit rights on
> pgweb.  Can you give them to me?   And if I commit stuff to PGWeb does it
> automatically show up on the web site?  How does that work?

nope, I believe that the commit to pgweb is after the mod to the web site
... but am not sure ...