Обсуждение: Page contents

Page contents

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
One of the things I'm struck with, both as a view of the page, and when
I've been working on redesigns is how much information is displayed on
this front page. This has been brought up by others as well.

On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 02:01 AM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
wrote:
> PS> What about the content ? We need to plan the links, boxes and etc.
> We don't need all items in the index. I made a previous content.
> Comments ?

I wonder if people don't get a little overwhelmed when they view the
site. I tried to address this a little in this design (published before
(correctly!) by Andreas, included here again for convenience)

http://200.46.204.98/postgresql_org/html/index3.htm

There's definitely from for improvement. For example, I think
downloading, versions, and mirrors are all very similar—you look for
mirrors for alternative places to download, you want to know what
versions are available for download—and could be grouped effectively
rather than having them in different places around the page.

I also tried to reduce the descriptive text. For example, some things
such as About and Contact appear to becoming quite standard on many
pages, and can replace longer descriptions such as "What is
PostgreSQL?" and "Contact the Webmasters". In the latter case, it
provides a chance to provide more contact information to direct someone
more specifically besides just a mailto.

There needs to be a balance between making things easily accessible to
visitors and (potentially) giving them too much to handle off the bat.
I'm not suggesting where that balance should be, but I'm interested to
know what others think about how much can be cut down, combined, or
eliminated, or expanded upon. (Longer descriptions of news? Fewer news
items on the front page?)

It looks like Euler Taveira de Oliveira has thought about some of these
things too, given the departures he's taken in his redesigns. I haven't
heard a lot about this, so perhaps people like the moves in this
direction.

Keeping in mind that I am a newcomer, I know I'm missing quite a bit of
history when it comes to the thoughts that were put into the current
design. There is an advantage to being a newcomer as well, as that's
what hopefully a lot of visitors are.

Comments?

Michael

Re: Page contents

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Guys,

(FYI:  Michael, your site design did not render at all well on Konqueror)

I agree with Michael that something needs to be done to reduce the number of
links and text on the main page.    One approach taken by many websites is to
reduce their links to the major headings and a handful (3-5) of frequently
requested items.

I think that's a good approach for us.    The major headings, from my
perspective, would be (in no particular order):

Downloads
Documentation & User Information
Press Room
Developers
Gborg
About
Store

and to come in the future:
Jobs
PostgreSQL Foundation

Given those links and other stuff that needs to be on the front page, but
*not* on other pages:
Links to non-english sites
Survey
Mission Statement
News Items
Events

I think we could have a pretty full page *without* providing any greater
detail.  And the whole page might load without scrolling at 1024x768, a
consumation devoutly to be wished!

FYI, things which are coming to our web site in the future:
jobs.postgresql.org want ad list, in PHP/postgresql (my company is building
this) (seperate "page")
"Postgres CPAN", an searchable library of database functions, code snippits
and examples (in Docs & Users)
PostgreSQL In the News: scrolling links to news articles. (in Press Room)

I mention the above because all will be dynamic content which needs to be
plugged in somewhere.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that Michael Glaesemann once said:
> About and Contact appear to becoming quite standard on many
> pages, and can replace longer descriptions such as "What is
> PostgreSQL?" and "Contact the Webmasters".

Don't change the last one - you don't have email from that address in your
inbox to deal with!!
Seriously, we had to add that otherwise we get every bug report, 'how do I
create a table' and 'where do I download MySQL' email there is. It doesn't
help the last one much, but the text in the contact box does stem the tide
of other emails somewhat!
Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

От
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Дата:
Hi Josh,

> I think that's a good approach for us.    The major headings, from my
> perspective, would be (in no particular order):
>
> Downloads
> Documentation & User Information
> Press Room
> Developers
> Gborg
> About
> Store

Could you describe what each item will contain ? Maybe draft a site map? Like Michael I'm a newcomer and I don't know
muchabout PostgreSQL Project.

> and to come in the future:
> Jobs
> PostgreSQL Foundation

Nice things.

> Given those links and other stuff that needs to be on the front page, but
> *not* on other pages:
> Links to non-english sites
> Survey
> Mission Statement
> News Items
> Events

If we don't want to put it on the front page, maybe we could attach each one to the main links.

> I think we could have a pretty full page *without* providing any greater
> detail.  And the whole page might load without scrolling at 1024x768, a
> consumation devoutly to be wished!

Maybe, we have it! But it depends on the amount of information we will provide.

> I mention the above because all will be dynamic content which needs to be
> plugged in somewhere.

Sure.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br
Desenvolvedor Web e Administrador de Sistemas
UFGNet - Universidade Federal de Goiás

Re: Page contents

От
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Дата:
Hi Michael,

> I wonder if people don't get a little overwhelmed when they view the
> site. I tried to address this a little in this design (published before
> (correctly!) by Andreas, included here again for convenience)
>
> http://200.46.204.98/postgresql_org/html/index3.htm

Oh, nice job. Pretty neat.

> There's definitely from for improvement. For example, I think
> downloading, versions, and mirrors are all very similar—you look for
> mirrors for alternative places to download, you want to know what
> versions are available for download—and could be grouped effectively
> rather than having them in different places around the page.

Yes, that's what I ask for Josh.

> I also tried to reduce the descriptive text. For example, some things
> such as About and Contact appear to becoming quite standard on many
> pages, and can replace longer descriptions such as "What is
> PostgreSQL?" and "Contact the Webmasters". In the latter case, it
> provides a chance to provide more contact information to direct someone
> more specifically besides just a mailto.

I agree with Dave. We need to provide "Contact the Webmaster" but I think it could be in the bottom of the page. It's
notas important as Documentation!

> There needs to be a balance between making things easily accessible to
> visitors and (potentially) giving them too much to handle off the bat.
> I'm not suggesting where that balance should be, but I'm interested to
> know what others think about how much can be cut down, combined, or
> eliminated, or expanded upon. (Longer descriptions of news? Fewer news
> items on the front page?)
>
> It looks like Euler Taveira de Oliveira has thought about some of these
> things too, given the departures he's taken in his redesigns. I haven't
> heard a lot about this, so perhaps people like the moves in this
> direction.

Yeah. We are providing some design but we don't have the site map.

> Keeping in mind that I am a newcomer, I know I'm missing quite a bit of
> history when it comes to the thoughts that were put into the current
> design. There is an advantage to being a newcomer as well, as that's
> what hopefully a lot of visitors are.

Me too. That's why I'm asking for build the site map.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br
Desenvolvedor Web e Administrador de Sistemas
UFGNet - Universidade Federal de Goiás

Re: Page contents

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Euler,

> > Downloads
> > Documentation & User Information
> > Press Room
> > Developers
> > Gborg
> > About
> > Store
> >

> Could you describe what each item will contain ? Maybe draft a site map?
Like Michael I'm a newcomer and I don't know much about PostgreSQL Project.

Keep in mind that I am *not* leadership for WWW, I am just making suggestions.

Downloads:  the mirrors, links to Bitorrent, etc.
Documentation & User Information: links to:
    --> Official Docs
    --> Techdocs
    --> General Bits
    --> Books & Book Reviews
    --> Mailing Lists
    --> Archives
Press Room:
    --> News
    --> PG in the News
    --> Marketing Propaganda
    --> Sponsor listing
    --> Logos etc.
    --> Case Studies
    --> other stuff currently on the Advocacy site
Developers:  what's currently on the developers.postgresql.org site.
About:
    --> Contributor Listing
    --> How to Contact

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

No, but you *are* the leadership for advocacy, and as such, we provide
the technical/design resource for what is essentially your content (or
at least that's how I think it should be and we seem to be moving that
way).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> No, but you *are* the leadership for advocacy, and as such, we provide
> the technical/design resource for what is essentially your content (or
> at least that's how I think it should be and we seem to be moving that
> way).

Don't repeat that where Peter can hear it ... he'd shoot me.

Seriously, the website serves a triple purpose: to serve the developers,
current users, and advocacy.  Traditionally, the concerns of the first 2
groups have always outweighed the last purpose; after all, keeping our
*existing* people happy is more imporant than getting more people.

Also, I suck at HTML, am not a web designer (or a graphic designer, come to
that) and am unlikely to personally write much of the code.  So my advice is
as Advocacy Geek and Techdocs leader and needs to be balanced by the web guys
who have more experience implementing "content" sites.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

No comment. <grin>

> Seriously, the website serves a triple purpose: to serve the
> developers, current users, and advocacy.  Traditionally, the
> concerns of the first 2 groups have always outweighed the
> last purpose; after all, keeping our
> *existing* people happy is more imporant than getting more people.

Yes, however I think we learnt long ago that our people are happy as
long as the content is accessible. The focus these days should be on our
userbase, and prospective users, and with the exception of a few
sections like the docs, that's all down to you guys. Things like release
notes, press releases, case studies, promo events, certified training,
support companies, jobs and so-on.

All we do is take text and put it on a nice format on a bunch of servers
:-)

> Also, I suck at HTML, am not a web designer (or a graphic
> designer, come to
> that) and am unlikely to personally write much of the code.
> So my advice is as Advocacy Geek and Techdocs leader and
> needs to be balanced by the web guys who have more experience
> implementing "content" sites.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm not a web designer by trade, but I have
been building interactive sites since 1992 (yes, 1992, that's not a
typo). However, I need to rely on you to tell me what to write on the
site - what I think is good marketing speak, probably doesn't work well
in your world :-).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 05:34 AM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
>> I think that's a good approach for us.    The major headings, from my
>> perspective, would be (in no particular order):
>>
>> Downloads
>> Documentation & User Information
>> Press Room
>> Developers
>> Gborg
>> About
>> Store
>>

> Could you describe what each item will contain ? Maybe draft a site
> map? Like Michael I'm a newcomer and I don't know much about
> PostgreSQL Project.

Thanks for the feedback, Josh. It seems in keeping with the thoughts
I've been having, and adds some I hadn't thought of. To see if I'm
understanding you correctly

Downloads brings you to a page where you can download PostgreSQL.
Pretty much the same as now.

Documentation & User Information
Can we shorten this somewhat? I guess I prefer the term Documentation,
but then I'm kind of a geek and don't know if new users or potential
users would know to go there. This would bring you to a choice of the
interactive and static documention, as well as PDF versions. Also
pretty close to now.

Press Room
Brings you to a list of contact information for news/event/advocacy
related people, archives for news(?), and possibly an way for
translators to add material? (Just a thought.)

Developers
Brings you to the front page of developer.postgresql.org

GBorg (or is it Gborg? I've seen it both ways)
I think this particular one can use a short description. Maybe it
doesn't have to be in exactly this place, perhaps tied in with the
GBorg statistics info (another thing I had thought about with the
"PostgreSQL Projects at GBorg" header for statistics), but I think a
description (or rewording) is necessary as it's not clear what it is
immediately.

About
This is the "What is..." link. I'd actually put it higher in the list,
possibly the first one, so newcomers can see it immediately. Longtime
users won't have any problem avoiding it.

Store
This could definitely be more prominent, I think. Right now it's just
in the footer bar, which I've been thinking we might be able to do
without...comments? I'm thinking we can keep the front page short
enough that it's not necessary. As it is right now, it's only three
screens on my 14in laptop, and I think it'll probably get more compact.
It's not like reading the doc pages.

>> and to come in the future:
>> Jobs
>> PostgreSQL Foundation
>>

> Nice things.
>
>> Given those links and other stuff that needs to be on the front page,
>> but
>> *not* on other pages:
>> Links to non-english sites
>> Survey
>> Mission Statement
>> News Items
>> Events
>>
> If we don't want to put it on the front page, maybe we could attach
> each one to the main links.

If I'm understanding Josh correctly, these are things we *do* need on
the front page. And I'd agree with him on that (except for possibly the
mission statement, but I can see it both ways). These things really
don't belong on any other page, and we want them available to people
when they first visit.

>> I think we could have a pretty full page *without* providing any
>> greater
>> detail.  And the whole page might load without scrolling at 1024x768,
>> consumation devoutly to be wished!
>>
> Maybe, we have it! But it depends on the amount of information we will
> provide.

I think it's doable, and a worthy goal.

Re: Page contents

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 03:57 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> It's rumoured that Michael Glaesemann once said:
>> About and Contact appear to becoming quite standard on many
>> pages, and can replace longer descriptions such as "What is
>> PostgreSQL?" and "Contact the Webmasters".
>
> Don't change the last one - you don't have email from that address in
> your
> inbox to deal with!!
> Seriously, we had to add that otherwise we get every bug report, 'how
> do I
> create a table' and 'where do I download MySQL' email there is. It
> doesn't
> help the last one much, but the text in the contact box does stem the
> tide
> of other emails somewhat!

I'm definite not proposing getting rid of that message. Anything to
help people reach the answers they want from the people who can (and
want to!) answer them is a good thing. What I'm suggesting is instead
of Contact being a mailto link, it brings you to a contact page which
would include contacting the webmaster (with message), as well as links
to other people and pages—as well as post addresses, if
appropriate—they may wish to contact in the PostgreSQL community. This
currently isn't available from the front page.

Having this page buried one link in would have the added benefit of
making it just a little bit harder for the knee jerk "Help mE!!!!!!"
emailers to deluge you with their requests.

Any site redesign should have as a goal to reduce the number of emails
you get because people will be able to find their information on their
own. But then again, it might increase with all of the compliments on
the fine redesign ;)

Seriously, though, is this reasonable?

Michael

Re: Page contents

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 03:47 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Guys,
>
> (FYI:  Michael, your site design did not render at all well on
> Konqueror)

Thanks for the site check. It looks like I'm able to run Konqueror on
OS X, so hopefully I'll be able to head off these kinds of things. It
kind of surprises me that Konqueror has problems with the page, as
Safari and Konqueror are both based on the KHTML engine. I know Apple
forked KHTML, but I didn't think there'd be that much of a departure.
But that shows how far assumptions get me :)

Back to the text editor.

Michael

Re: Page contents

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 03:47 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> FYI, things which are coming to our web site in the future:
> jobs.postgresql.org want ad list, in PHP/postgresql (my company is
> building
> this) (seperate "page")
> "Postgres CPAN", an searchable library of database functions, code
> snippits
> and examples (in Docs & Users)
> PostgreSQL In the News: scrolling links to news articles. (in Press
> Room)

Good stuff, especially the Postgres CPAN and code/function/example
libraries. As a user, I'm looking forward to it.

Michael

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

Gborg. Short for GreatBridge.org

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

Yup, I thought you just wanted to shorten the text. A sub page is fine.

*HOWEVER* Let's not get carried away with new designs/content at the
moment otherwise we'll never get anything finished. Some priorities:

1) *All* elements of the existing site must be translatable through
Andreas' new framework. Some are php/html static pages, some are
php/html dynamic pages and some are fully dynamic.

2) We need to sort the basic design issues. Resizeability, is the main
one.

3) We would ideally like to be XHTML strict/CSS2 compliant.

Let's get those basic things done, and live with the existing content,
and *then* start looking at merging sites and restucturing content etc.
Once everything works, that should be a lot easier.

Some of you may not realise, but the main site alone has something like
10,000 pages iirc...

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

От
Chris Ryan

> > GBorg (or is it Gborg?
>
> Gborg. Short for GreatBridge.org

Actually it should be GBorg as in the example Dave gave where the first
letter of each word is capitalized. Of course i'm only human and
hitting the shift key takes more effort so I won't hold it over anyones
head if they don't capitalize the B. ;)

Chris Ryan

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

Re: Page contents

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Guys,

Chris Ryan wrote:
>>>GBorg (or is it Gborg?
>>
>>Gborg. Short for GreatBridge.org
>
> Actually it should be GBorg as in the example Dave gave where the first
> letter of each word is capitalized. Of course i'm only human and
> hitting the shift key takes more effort so I won't hold it over anyones
> head if they don't capitalize the B. ;)

Um... would it be ok to have the link to it from the front page say
"Projects"?

It looks like we're re-jiggering everything to be much more "new user"
friendly, and new users will only click on GBorg if they're curious
(that makes sense doesn't it?).

Howver, "Projects" is more descriptive of what GBorg is about.

?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Chris Ryan

Re: Page contents

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Guys,

> >>Gborg. Short for GreatBridge.org
> >
> > Actually it should be GBorg as in the example Dave gave where the first
> > letter of each word is capitalized. Of course i'm only human and
> > hitting the shift key takes more effort so I won't hold it over anyones
> > head if they don't capitalize the B. ;)
>
> Um... would it be ok to have the link to it from the front page say
> "Projects"?
>
> It looks like we're re-jiggering everything to be much more "new user"
> friendly, and new users will only click on GBorg if they're curious
> (that makes sense doesn't it?).

Agreed, and never even thought of that ...

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

%%£%$^£$£ auto correct!! I did mean to type two capitals, but Outlook knows better than me... :-(

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> %%£%$^£$£ auto correct!! I did mean to type two capitals, but Outlook knows
> better than me... :-(

That's what you get for using Outlook.   Well, that and computer viruses.
<smirk>

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

Nope, never had one of those - I watch what I'm doing and have decent virus protection - just as anyone should no
matterwhat mua they choose.

The auto correct can be a pia when typing things like GBorg, but I can turn that off...

:-)

/D

Re: Page contents

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Dave Page wrote:

> Nope, never had one of those - I watch what I'm doing and have decent
> virus protection - just as anyone should no matter what mua they choose.

Don't have to worry about virii with pine :)

Re: Page contents

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Dave Page wrote:
>
>>Nope, never had one of those - I watch what I'm doing and have decent
>>virus protection - just as anyone should no matter what mua they choose.
>
> Don't have to worry about virii with pine :)

Hmmm... it's probably not worth assuming that.  Pine has had exploits
available in the past:

http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/5DP0D1PB5Y.html

As has Netscape:

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/i-077b.shtml

And Mutt:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/debian-security-announce-2002/msg00000.html

And so on.  It's just that Outlook has a lot more.

:-/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

Trojan?

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

It's also worth remembering that all the big virii (Sobig, Melissa, Anna
Kournikova etc.) outbreaks were not caused by any vulnerabilities in
Outlook, but by doughnuts opening attachments that they shouldn't. That
can happen on any mua given the appropriate class of idiot.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Justin Clift wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Dave Page wrote:
> >
> >>Nope, never had one of those - I watch what I'm doing and have decent
> >>virus protection - just as anyone should no matter what mua they choose.
> >
> > Don't have to worry about virii with pine :)
>
> Hmmm... it's probably not worth assuming that.  Pine has had exploits
> available in the past:
>
> http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/5DP0D1PB5Y.html

'K, granted, but that just makes it one of a thousand pieces of software
out there that have buffer overflow issues :)

Re: Page contents

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Dave Page wrote:

That's a risk with *any* software, including commercial :(  And I worry
more about that with binaries then source code that I compile myself,
especially if its very widely used ...

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

My point exactly :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

> > And so on.  It's just that Outlook has a lot more.
> >

> It's also worth remembering that all the big virii (Sobig, Melissa, Anna
> Kournikova etc.) outbreaks were not caused by any vulnerabilities in
> Outlook, but by doughnuts opening attachments that they shouldn't. That
> can happen on any mua given the appropriate class of idiot.

Should opening an email every give you a virus?  I don't think so.

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

No, but my point is without proper protection/procedures a user of any
OS/MUA can open and execute a trojan.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Page contents

> > Should opening an email every give you a virus?  I don't think so.
> >

> No, but my point is without proper protection/procedures a user of any
> OS/MUA can open and execute a trojan.

Right, but I think my MUA and helper applications are designed to be
safe so I can't botch it up.

Re: Page contents

От
"Dave Page"

As have been the last few versions of Outlook (proper, dunno about
Express). To get round that protection you have to do some non-trivial
registry hacking and even then you still get warnings when you try to
open things.

Whilst there are undoubtedly vulnerabilities in Outlook, as most other
apps, I think it's unfair to blame a product just because it has a
better class of idiot in it's userbase - especially when it's their
actions that cause 99.9% of the problems.

Anyhoo, this is waaaaay off-topic for here. I'm not overly interested,
but if anyone feels compelled to keep discussing this, feel free to
email me off-list :-)

Regards, Dave.

Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
Hello all!

I've been thinking some about the site design but haven't done actual
coding since the last time I posted site addresses.

However, I am now the proud owner of a Mac sporting Mac OS X (with
Safari, IE, Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Camino, Omniweb, and Opera), Mac
OS9 emulation (Classic Mode) for Netscape 4.7 (considered moot, I know)
*and* (drumroll please) KDE running in XFree86 with Konqueror! Yes, I
know, this is all probably old hat to you guys, but it's a bit of an
accomplishment for me and this 266MHz G3 I've had for ages. I think
total compile time was something like 48 hours, testament both to the
processor and my inexperience installing software that isn't already in
a beautiful, simple, installer package. (Though I have installed
PostgreSQL from source, I most often use Marc Liyanage's handy binary
packages available at entropy.ch). I'm pretty happy about it. And I'm
looking forward to installing PostgreSQL 7.4 from source in the near
future. Thank you for listening, or at least remaining silent as you
roll your eyes :)

But, now that I've got Konqueror (3.1.2, running in KDE 3.1.2)up and
running, I have a better chance to see what you've been seeing, Josh.
And unfortunately, I can't seem to reproduce the same things. The pages
look pretty close to what I've been seeing in the other browsers. I
have noticed a slight glitch in page loading: I first see the page
unstyled *very* briefly, but then the page is properly displayed. I
think this mostly has to do with the speed of my machine and perhaps
running KDE in XFree86 (XDarwin). Another difference is on the "basic"
page (http://www.grzm.com/postgresql_org/html/index.htm) is the way
Konqueror renders the middots used as bullets. I've implemented those
css :before pseudo selectors, e.g.,

#latest dl dd:before {
         content: "\00B7 \0020"
         }
for the Latest News list. I hard-coded the middots in the "Upcoming
Events" box, and those work.

But I unfortunately I'm not seeing a wide white space pushing center
elements to the side. Maybe a Linux/Darwin difference? Anyway,
something I'll need to solve some other way.

One thing I was kind of surprised with in Konqueror was that the
minimum font size on my installation defaults to 7px, which is pretty
small. Is this the same on your installation, Josh? This is just out of
curiousity, as you didn't mention the size being too small in
Konqueror. I found the text in the Latest News and Upcoming Events too
small in Konqueror. It seems a bit bigger in Firebird and Safari.

Anyway, not a lot constructive here, just want to get some things
straightened out. Now that my machine is now finished compiling, I'll
be working on designs more. I'm aiming to get basically a good-looking
reproduction of the current site using XHTML and CSS, with the intent
on doing more "overhaul" type work at a later date when what's actually
to be on the page is a bit firmer. That sounds in keeping with Dave's
comments:

> Some priorities:
>
> 1) *All* elements of the existing site must be translatable through
> Andreas' new framework. Some are php/html static pages, some are
> php/html dynamic pages and some are fully dynamic.
>
> 2) We need to sort the basic design issues. Resizeability, is the main
> one.
>
> 3) We would ideally like to be XHTML strict/CSS2 compliant.
>
> Let's get those basic things done, and live with the existing content,
> and *then* start looking at merging sites and restucturing content etc.
> Once everything works, that should be a lot easier.

Am I on the right page? Or reading the wrong book?

By the way, congratulations on getting the presskits and pages up! From
the flurry of mail earlier this week, you guys put together a lot of
stuff in a short time.

Michael

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Michael,

> packages available at entropy.ch). I'm pretty happy about it. And I'm
> looking forward to installing PostgreSQL 7.4 from source in the near
> future. Thank you for listening, or at least remaining silent as you
> roll your eyes :)

Congratulations!  Since I compiled my first from-source program in 1999 (which
was, I think, PostgreSQL), I understand the mental challenge of making the
leap to source code.   Plus compiling KDE with GCC on a Mac is no picnic,
either -- you've initiated yourself into the world of source code by jumping
in with both feet.   PostgreSQL will be easier ....

> But, now that I've got Konqueror (3.1.2, running in KDE 3.1.2)up and
> running, I have a better chance to see what you've been seeing, Josh.
> And unfortunately, I can't seem to reproduce the same things.

Hmmm .... probably they occur only on 3.0.x, which means that we can ignore
them.  Linux people are used to being told to upgrade.

> One thing I was kind of surprised with in Konqueror was that the
> minimum font size on my installation defaults to 7px, which is pretty
> small. Is this the same on your installation, Josh?

I don't know; it's been too long since I had default settings.   But I suspect
so.

> > 1) *All* elements of the existing site must be translatable through
> > Andreas' new framework. Some are php/html static pages, some are
> > php/html dynamic pages and some are fully dynamic.

Yes.   And I'd still like to see the admin interface for translation and run
it by our team of volunteer translators.

> By the way, congratulations on getting the presskits and pages up! From
> the flurry of mail earlier this week, you guys put together a lot of
> stuff in a short time.

Well .... the stuff has been developing for weeks ... translating all of the
releases and press kits took a month, I think.   But since our sites have no
way to save stuff to be posted later, we had to put everything up in a hurry
last night.

Which lead to some hellish problems with encodings, something to consider for
multi-lingualism.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:

On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 01:46 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Congratulations!  Since I compiled my first from-source program in
> 1999 (which
> was, I think, PostgreSQL), I understand the mental challenge of making
> the
> leap to source code.   Plus compiling KDE with GCC on a Mac is no
> picnic,
> either -- you've initiated yourself into the world of source code by
> jumping
> in with both feet.   PostgreSQL will be easier ....

Thanks for the show of support! However, I can't take full credit for
compiling purely from source: I used Fink. I did manage to get my
handles a little dirty figuring out a few dependency problems and
moving my fink installation onto another partition, but I'm sure
compiling purely from source and doing the make/make install shuffle is
quite a bit more involved, 'specially with the number of packages that
come with the Fink bundle-kde load. I think DocBook and OpenJade are
hiding around there somewhere, too. (The designer in me would love to
get my machine around the documentation!) Lots of stuff to explore.
Pokey at 266MHz but doable. (I remember thinking how fast this laptop
was when I upgraded from my 15.6MHz LCII... I wonder if I could run
PostgreSQL on it? :) I've got my eyes set on a new PowerBook for a xmas
gift to myself.)

>> But, now that I've got Konqueror (3.1.2, running in KDE 3.1.2)up and
>> running, I have a better chance to see what you've been seeing, Josh.
>> And unfortunately, I can't seem to reproduce the same things.
>
> Hmmm .... probably they occur only on 3.0.x, which means that we can
> ignore
> them.  Linux people are used to being told to upgrade.

And you're used to doin' your own thing? :) Seriously though, I want to
create as few problems as possible for as wide a field of browsers as
possible (within reason). In the March 2003 Report Magic results,
Konqueror 3 was about twice that of Konqueror 3.1, though that's 9
months ago. Webalizer results for October and November show only
Konqueror 3.1; Konqueror 3.0 is not in the top 15. If the consensus is
to ignore it, that's cool, but I'll see what I can do to make it work.
Gotta figure out the disappearing text in IE6 too. Plus just make it
"look pretty".

>> One thing I was kind of surprised with in Konqueror was that the
>> minimum font size on my installation defaults to 7px, which is pretty
>> small. Is this the same on your installation, Josh?
>
> I don't know; it's been too long since I had default settings.   But I
> suspect
> so.

I suspected so (that you had changed the defaults—I would have). I use
the named font sizes (xx-small through xx-large) as much as possible in
the CSS, and I believe in some browsers xx-small is limited to minimum
of 9px. Also, one of the nice things about named font sizes is that
they don't compound: xx-small in a div whose parent is xx-small is
still absolutely xx-small, it's not xxxx-small. This helps out in
readability and accessibility. This can be defeated, however, if the
browser's minimum font size is set to an unreadable level.

>>> 1) *All* elements of the existing site must be translatable through
>>> Andreas' new framework. Some are php/html static pages, some are
>>> php/html dynamic pages and some are fully dynamic.
>
> Yes.   And I'd still like to see the admin interface for translation
> and run
> it by our team of volunteer translators.

Who's working on the admin interface? I assume it's Andreas. If there's
something I can help out with there, I should have some time next week.

> Which lead to some hellish problems with encodings, something to
> consider for
> multi-lingualism.

I just saw Dave's post, which probably answers this more directly than
what I'm about to write, but Unicode—in particular UTF-8—is really
helpful for this. Compact for roman languages (1-byte/char), a little
less compact for CJKV and other double-byte languages (1- to
4-bytes/char). Plus it simplifies serving the pages: set the header in
the server to UTF-8, declare it in a meta-tag in the HTML (skip the xml
prolog 'cause IE can't handle it) and you're good to go. Only *need* to
use entities for & and <, though others are nice if you don't
have easy access in your editor (and > is nice for symmetry).

Michael