Обсуждение: New Ideas about website

New Ideas about website

От
"Euler Taveira de Oliveira"
Дата:
Hi all,

As I promissed in my last e-mail, I just created 3 new models for the
website.
http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-1.html
http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-2.html
http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html

I tried to clean up the HTML code using CSS and use some sort of tables. All
of the code were tested on HTML 4.01 and CSS 2. I
tested it under: Links, Lynx, Mozilla, Firebird, Netscape, Galeon and
Konqueror.
The first one, I just conserved the content from Andreas and change the
style of the boxes. The second one, I tried to reorgan
ize the content. And the last one, I changed the main part.

IMHO, I like the last one a lot. But I don't know about the News/Event, I
think the headline + summary is more attractive than
a single headline.

I need to think about the content of the website. It's the most important
thing of a website. Without it, we don't even have a
website! What about my content ? What could we add/remove ?

Talking about i18n, I just investigated the way pgadmin deal with it and
remember I tried it days ago. It's quite simple, we j
ust need to use the gettext extension of PHP. The other way is deal with
SGML like Debian and KDE projects. Comments ?

Regards,

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br

Re: New Ideas about website

От
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai
Дата:
-On [20031112 06:52], Euler Taveira de Oliveira (euler@ufgnet.ufg.br) wrote:
>http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-1.html
>http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-2.html
>http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html

I either prefer the 2nd or 3rd.

Advantage of the 2nd over the 3rd: it shows excerpts of the headlines.
Advantage of the 3rd of the 2nd: it shows the headlines and doesn't
require a great deal of scrolling.

Mutual exclusion.

I like the overal layout though.

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Do unto others, as ye would have done unto you...

Re: New Ideas about website

Дата:
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl> writes:
> -On [20031112 06:52], Euler Taveira de Oliveira (euler@ufgnet.ufg.br) wrote:
>> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-1.html
>> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-2.html
>> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html

> I either prefer the 2nd or 3rd.

I like model-3 for a "top" page, ie, where you go if you've not heard of
Postgres before.  model-2 would work well as a www.postgresql.org/news/
sub-page.

            regards, tom lane

Re: New Ideas about website

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Re: New Ideas about website

От
"Dave Page"

I see wrapping issues on all three, but anyway, let's stick to the
project at hand. The aim at the moment is to make the portal:

1) Multilanguage capable (no.1 priority)
2) XHTML/CSS content/presentation seperation
3) Tweak the layout based on discussions over the last few *months*

Once that is done, and the site is in place and running, we can tweak
the CSS and layout to our hearts content.

Regards, Dave.

Re: New Ideas about website

От
"Andreas Grabmüller"
Дата:
Well, I like the boxes on the sides, however I'm not happy with making it fixed-width again...

About the document structure, I personally prefer number 1 (might have to do with the fact I have done it ;)) but the
othersare not bad, too.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

----- Original-Nachricht -----
> As I promissed in my last e-mail, I just created 3 new models for the
> website.
> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-1.html
> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-2.html
> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html
>
> I tried to clean up the HTML code using CSS and use some sort of tables. All
> of the code were tested on HTML 4.01 and CSS 2. I
> tested it under: Links, Lynx, Mozilla, Firebird, Netscape, Galeon and
> Konqueror.
> The first one, I just conserved the content from Andreas and change the
> style of the boxes. The second one, I tried to reorgan
> ize the content. And the last one, I changed the main part.
>
> IMHO, I like the last one a lot. But I don't know about the News/Event, I
> think the headline + summary is more attractive than
> a single headline.
>
> I need to think about the content of the website. It's the most important
> thing of a website. Without it, we don't even have a
> website! What about my content ? What could we add/remove ?
>
> Talking about i18n, I just investigated the way pgadmin deal with it and
> remember I tried it days ago. It's quite simple, we j
> ust need to use the gettext extension of PHP. The other way is deal with
> SGML like Debian and KDE projects. Comments ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Euler Taveira de Oliveira
> euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br

LetzPlay.de
| Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
| Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren

Re: New Ideas about website

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Euler,

> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-1.html
> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-2.html
> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html

I like #3.  Unlike other people here, I think I prefer just the headlines on
the news/events listings.   It's simply too much text for a "front page"
otherwise, especially as the majority of traffic will be viewing the front
page just to go somewhere else.

I would like to make the left-hand column shorter in order not to make people
scroll so much.  Maybe slightly less spacing between links?  And handling the
"international" links in some other way, since this is liable to be a growing
list?

On the right column, we could cut the descriptions for the "top 5 Gborg
projects".

Finally, I notice that the links on the bottom bar are different from the
links on the top blue bar. this isn't intentional, I hope?

Oh, FWIW, really good work.  Renders in Konq 3.0.3 perfectly.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: New Ideas about website

Дата:
Andreas Grabm?ller wrote:
> Well, I like the boxes on the sides, however I'm not happy with
> making it fixed-width again...

Agreed.

Re: New Ideas about website

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 12 November 2003 13:04, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I like #3.  Unlike other people here, I think I prefer just the headlines
> on the news/events listings.   It's simply too much text for a "front page"
> otherwise, especially as the majority of traffic will be viewing the front
> page just to go somewhere else.

Actually that's all the more reason to have expanded news items on the front
page. You want the person coming in to check the docs to see the news item
about winning a new award or having a new release out.  If it's just links
people are unlikely to click on them, and might miss information we want to
push towards them.

Robert Treat