Обсуждение: Idea for a new index page

Idea for a new index page

От
"Andreas Grabmüller"
Дата:
Hi all,

I've been playing around with the index page a bit, this is the result:

http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test2.htm

On this page,
- The events have a better position (the Visitor does not have to scroll down)
- The visitor gets a nice "Welcome" message

I also think this page looks more nice and transparent. We can then create seperate pages for the news and the
events...

What do you think?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

--
LetzPlay.de
| Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
| Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren

Re: Idea for a new index page

Дата:
I like this layout!  I like how it spans the width of my screen, and it
has a nice summary at the top.

Andreas Grabm?ller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been playing around with the index page a bit, this is the result:
>
> http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test2.htm
>
> On this page,
> - The events have a better position (the Visitor does not have to scroll down)
> - The visitor gets a nice "Welcome" message
>
> I also think this page looks more nice and transparent. We can then create seperate pages for the news and the
events...

> What do you think?
>
> Mit freundlichen Gr??en
> Andreas Grabm?ller
>
> --
> LetzPlay.de
> | Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
> | Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
works for me ... I didn't like the 'overscrolling' that happened on the
old site, then keeps it nice and condense ...

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been playing around with the index page a bit, this is the result:
>
> http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test2.htm
>
> On this page,
> - The events have a better position (the Visitor does not have to scroll down)
> - The visitor gets a nice "Welcome" message
>
> I also think this page looks more nice and transparent. We can then create seperate pages for the news and the
events...

> What do you think?
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Andreas Grabmüller
>
> --
> LetzPlay.de
> | Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
> | Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hey yeah, this is starting to come along nicely.

Um... needs a bit of color though.  Perhaps chucking in the Linux
Journal Editors Choice Award logo or something similarly colorful and
flashy?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I like this layout!  I like how it spans the width of my screen, and it
> has a nice summary at the top.

> Andreas Grabm?ller wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I've been playing around with the index page a bit, this is the result:
>>
>>http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test2.htm
>>
>>On this page,
>>- The events have a better position (the Visitor does not have to scroll down)
>>- The visitor gets a nice "Welcome" message
>>
>>I also think this page looks more nice and transparent. We can then create seperate pages for the news and the
events...

>>What do you think?
>>
>>Mit freundlichen Gr??en
>>Andreas Grabm?ller
>>
>>--
>>LetzPlay.de
>>| Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
>>| Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren
>>TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Dave Page"

My main dislike is the short links for the news/events. They aren't
visually separate from the rest of the page if you see what I mean. How
about making those cell backgrounds a light gray?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Andreas Grabmüller"
> > works for me ... I didn't like the 'overscrolling' that
> > happened on the old site, then keeps it nice and condense ...
>
> My main dislike is the short links for the news/events. They aren't
> visually separate from the rest of the page if you see what I mean. How
> about making those cell backgrounds a light gray?
>
> Regards, Dave.

What about this?

http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test3.htm

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

--

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:

> ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> Von: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
> An: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>, "Andreas GrabmXller" <webmaster@letzplay.de>
> CC: <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
> Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:01 AM

Yup, like the 'boxes' ... one thing that is needed though, is 'fixed size'
so that text doesn't wrap ...

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Andreas Grabmüller"
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:
>
> > ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> > Von: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
> > An: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>, "Andreas GrabmXller" <webmaster@letzplay.de>
> > CC: <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
> > Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:01 AM

I added a little white-space:nowrap for the cells... this keeps the cells variable size as much as possible but
preservesthe text wrapping...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

--
LetzPlay.de
| Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
| Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
Did I send that directly to you? Sorry, didn't mean to. Is there any
reason why reply-to isn't set to the list? Or am I just missing
something? (The latter could definitely be the case.)

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 11:56 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Yup, like the 'boxes' ... one thing that is needed though, is 'fixed
>>> size'
>>> so that text doesn't wrap ...
>>
>> You mean so you lose the hanging indent list-effect? Haven't looked at
>> the markup, but should be a snap.
>
> its generally just a matter of putting a fixed width onto your
> <TABLE> element ...

Or structure the list as a list and replace the bullets with whatever
you like. Then it'd still reflow.

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
Robert Treat
On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 07:23, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
> ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> Von: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
> An: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>, "Andreas GrabmXller" <webmaster@letzplay.de>
> CC: <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
> Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:01 AM

This is better, as it gives a clearer differentiation between news and
events (which I think we need on the main site now) but I think the
amount of screen real estate devoted to first time visitors is too much,
and relegating regular contributors to doing "extra clicks" to get news
summaries seems like a downside to me.

I'd much rather see a small paragraph on "what is postgresql?" under the
top left banner ad (most likely place for a first time visitor to look)
with a few links in that section for "lean more" and/or "who we are"
type links.

then we could expanded the main piece back into allowing summaries for
news items and move the events item someplace else. if we ever get
around to listing recurring events properly, and things like user group
meetings, we're going to need more space than what we are allowing now.

I also am not sure I agree with the value of the "current versions"...
one 7.4 is released, how would this be updated? Stable = 7.4, Beta = cvs
or 7.5?, Deprecated = 7.3.4?  I'd rather not say that 7.3.4 is
deprecated when there is still the potential for a 7.3.5...   I do see
some bonus in having a "current stable version = 7.3.4" and a "current
beta version = 7.4RC1" which gets updated to a 7.4 and drops the beta
bit after release... though honestly with better news management even
this bonus would probably go away

Also maybe the international sites should go under the language choice
drop down.

I probably put the link for mirrors back in the main menu, and drop the
"website" box.

Robert Treat

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:

> ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> Von: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>
> An: Andreas GrabmXller <webmaster@letzplay.de>
> CC: scrappy@postgresql.org, dpage@vale-housing.co.uk, pgsql-www@postgresql.org
> Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 03:50 PM
> Betreff: [pgsql-www] Idea for a new index page
>
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:
> >
> > > ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> > > Von: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
> > > An: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>, "Andreas GrabmXller" <webmaster@letzplay.de>
> > > CC: <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
> > > Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:01 AM

Perfect, thanks ...

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> Did I send that directly to you? Sorry, didn't mean to. Is there any
> reason why reply-to isn't set to the list? Or am I just missing
> something? (The latter could definitely be the case.)

Reply-To is evil ... we've actually tried it a couple of times and had
more headaches then it was worth ...

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:
>
>> ----- Original-Nachricht -----
>> Von: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
>> An: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>, "Andreas GrabmXller"
>> <webmaster@letzplay.de> CC: <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
>> Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:01 AM

Yup, don't think it'll work on 800x600 either. It's left-right scrolling
on the 1024x768 montior with a very nearly fully screen browser that I'm
using.
/D

Re: Idea for a new index page

От
"Andreas Grabmüller"
> It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:
> >

> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:
> >
> >> ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> >> Von: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
> >> An: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>, "Andreas GrabmXller"
> >> <webmaster@letzplay.de> CC: <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
> >> Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:01 AM

You're right it's not working with 800x600, but there is no scrolling with 1024x768 here...

I have created a version which works with 800x600 at
http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test4.htm
but I don't really like it on higher resolutions.

Michael, is it possible to choose the layout based on the browser size using XHTML/CSS or Javascript? So any user with
1024x768sees test3.htm but any user with a lower resolution sees test4.htm? It's just the two boxes to change...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller