Обсуждение: Bittorrent?

Bittorrent?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc, Dave, etc.,

I realize that it's a bit 11th-hour, but two community members have complained
about sluggishness on some of the FTP mirrors.   Have we given any thought to
putting up source on Bitorrent?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

If I'm reading the FAQ/Documentation correctly ... and I may not be
understanding it completely after a admittedly quick pursual ... it sounds
like a 'napster for files', with ppl uploading to our servers, as well as
downloading from it?

From the FAQ:

"I don't want you stealing my bandwidth! How can I stop it from uploading?

    You could hack the source to not upload, but then your download rate
    would suck. BitTorrent downloaders engage in tit-for-tat with their
    peers, so leeches have very little success downloading.
"

or am I looking at the wrong web site:

    http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc, Dave, etc.,
>
> I realize that it's a bit 11th-hour, but two community members have
> complained about sluggishness on some of the FTP mirrors.  Have we given
> any thought to putting up source on Bitorrent?
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> If I'm reading the FAQ/Documentation correctly ... and I may not be
> understanding it completely after a admittedly quick pursual ... it sounds
> like a 'napster for files', with ppl uploading to our servers, as well as
> downloading from it?

Yes, but they're OSS-friendly, popular, and several members of our community
already use Bitorrent.  Among other things, Linux kernels get distributed
over it.  It uses the p2p network to bypass bottlenecks at certain ftp sites,
allowing you to stream the same download from 2-5 sites simultaneosly and
saturate your download bandwidth.

I don't think we necessarily need to host a Bitorrent server at hub.org; I'm
not clear on how joining bitorrent works, really.   I'll ask one of the
current users.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > If I'm reading the FAQ/Documentation correctly ... and I may not be
> > understanding it completely after a admittedly quick pursual ... it sounds
> > like a 'napster for files', with ppl uploading to our servers, as well as
> > downloading from it?
>
> Yes, but they're OSS-friendly, popular, and several members of our community
> already use Bitorrent.  Among other things, Linux kernels get distributed
> over it.  It uses the p2p network to bypass bottlenecks at certain ftp sites,
> allowing you to stream the same download from 2-5 sites simultaneosly and
> saturate your download bandwidth.
>
> I don't think we necessarily need to host a Bitorrent server at hub.org; I'm
> not clear on how joining bitorrent works, really.   I'll ask one of the
> current users.

What if someone adds a trojan to the source and puts it on Bitorrent?
Doesn't seem like something we should do lightly.

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
> > If I'm reading the FAQ/Documentation correctly ... and I may not be
> > understanding it completely after a admittedly quick pursual ... it sounds
> > like a 'napster for files', with ppl uploading to our servers, as well as
> > downloading from it?
>
> Yes, but they're OSS-friendly, popular, and several members of our community
> already use Bitorrent.  Among other things, Linux kernels get distributed
> over it.  It uses the p2p network to bypass bottlenecks at certain ftp sites,
> allowing you to stream the same download from 2-5 sites simultaneosly and
> saturate your download bandwidth.
>
> I don't think we necessarily need to host a Bitorrent server at hub.org; I'm
> not clear on how joining bitorrent works, really.   I'll ask one of the
> current users.

if it was possible to be a download only server, I have no problems with
setting it up ... I'd just hate to see a whack of warez
uploaded/downloaded from the server, or porn, or .. :)

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai
Дата:
-On [20031104 21:22], Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>I don't think we necessarily need to host a Bitorrent server at hub.org; I'm
>not clear on how joining bitorrent works, really.   I'll ask one of the
>current users.

You just take an official tarball, put it in your share folder and 'seed
it' as the torrent community calls it, that is, you spread the hash on
the file for people to add to their torrent download list.

Principle is the same as with SoulSeek, KaZaA, Edonkey, etc...

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Dream, a noise, the wind awakes me, and you're already here...

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> That one isn't so big a deal, as we could easily made the 'official md5
> hashes' available on the web site, which is easier to access then the ftp
> server(s) ... then the oneous(sp?) is on the downloader to confirm that
> the md5's check out okay ...

"onus"

I've asked a friend of Bram Cohen's to answer some of these questions for us.

In the meantime, check out:
<http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/guide.html>

It appears that we don't have to be a P2P server to offer PostgreSQL on
bitorrent, only to download it.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

> -On [20031104 21:22], Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> >I don't think we necessarily need to host a Bitorrent server at hub.org; I'm
> >not clear on how joining bitorrent works, really.   I'll ask one of the
> >current users.
>
> You just take an official tarball, put it in your share folder and 'seed
> it' as the torrent community calls it, that is, you spread the hash on
> the file for people to add to their torrent download list.
>
> Principle is the same as with SoulSeek, KaZaA, Edonkey, etc...

Ya, but we don't distribute on those either :)

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

Answers:

1) As Bitorrent content providers, we only need to offer a main content site
and an SHA1 encrypted hash called a "tracker".  We do not have to host other
people's files.

2) Trojans are prevented by the "tracker" which serves the same function as an
MD5 in verifying content, and as Bram Cohen is a cryptography expert, I trust
this mechanism.

3) As far as offering the BT file, we need just add the .bittorrent link to
the downloads page after doing the setup.

I think we should do this.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

Дата:
OK, my security concerns have been answered.

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Answers:
>
> 1) As Bitorrent content providers, we only need to offer a main content site
> and an SHA1 encrypted hash called a "tracker".  We do not have to host other
> people's files.
>
> 2) Trojans are prevented by the "tracker" which serves the same function as an
> MD5 in verifying content, and as Bram Cohen is a cryptography expert, I trust
> this mechanism.
>
> 3) As far as offering the BT file, we need just add the .bittorrent link to
> the downloads page after doing the setup.
>
> I think we should do this.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
'k, sounds reasonable ... will this effectively "mirror" our current ftp
structure, or will we have to duplicate whatever files we want offered in
a seperate location?  and are there any instructions for doing this on a
non-Windows machine?  Everything I've seen so far seems very
windows-centric ...

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Answers:
>
> 1) As Bitorrent content providers, we only need to offer a main content site
> and an SHA1 encrypted hash called a "tracker".  We do not have to host other
> people's files.
>
> 2) Trojans are prevented by the "tracker" which serves the same function as an
> MD5 in verifying content, and as Bram Cohen is a cryptography expert, I trust
> this mechanism.
>
> 3) As far as offering the BT file, we need just add the .bittorrent link to
> the downloads page after doing the setup.
>
> I think we should do this.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> 'k, sounds reasonable ... will this effectively "mirror" our current ftp
> structure, or will we have to duplicate whatever files we want offered in
> a seperate location?  and are there any instructions for doing this on a
> non-Windows machine?  Everything I've seen so far seems very
> windows-centric ...

Meet David Fetter, who recommended BitTorrent.   David, can you help Marc?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Am talking with David off list on details for setting things up ...

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
> > 'k, sounds reasonable ... will this effectively "mirror" our current ftp
> > structure, or will we have to duplicate whatever files we want offered in
> > a seperate location?  and are there any instructions for doing this on a
> > non-Windows machine?  Everything I've seen so far seems very
> > windows-centric ...
>
> Meet David Fetter, who recommended BitTorrent.   David, can you help Marc?
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 03:32:39PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > 'k, sounds reasonable ... will this effectively "mirror" our
> > current ftp structure, or will we have to duplicate whatever files
> > we want offered in a seperate location?  and are there any
> > instructions for doing this on a non-Windows machine?  Everything
> > I've seen so far seems very windows-centric ...
>
> Meet David Fetter, who recommended BitTorrent.   David, can you help
> Marc?

I'd be delighted :)   Is there some thing in the server guide
(<http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/guide.html>) that you're having
trouble with?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100    cell: +1 415 235 3778