Обсуждение: Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Beth,  Simon,

Given that Hashing DISTINCT is a patch on the main PostgreSQL code, does it
make sense to set up a pgfoundry project for it?   Or should you just use
hackers/patches?

I'm OK with it either way, just wanted to make sure that you had reasons
for wanting to use pgFoundry.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On 6/5/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Given that Hashing DISTINCT is a patch on the main PostgreSQL code, does it
> make sense to set up a pgfoundry project for it?   Or should you just use
> hackers/patches?

I'm mentoring Beth and I suggested that she setup a pgfoundry project for it.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Jonah,

> > Given that Hashing DISTINCT is a patch on the main PostgreSQL code,
> > does it make sense to set up a pgfoundry project for it?   Or should
> > you just use hackers/patches?
>
> I'm mentoring Beth and I suggested that she setup a pgfoundry project
> for it.

Ok, and you think it's a better idea than trying to work off the main CVS?
Like I said, I don't have any objections, I'm just not sure how some of
this stuff should be handled.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

От
"Nikolay Samokhvalov"
Дата:
BTW, my project (XMLType) also couldn't be done as contrib module. So,
I'd prefer to work with CVS / patches. Maybe it's worth to create
pgfoundry project, but anyway it's too early to talk about it (in my
case)

On 6/6/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Jonah,
>
> > > Given that Hashing DISTINCT is a patch on the main PostgreSQL code,
> > > does it make sense to set up a pgfoundry project for it?   Or should
> > > you just use hackers/patches?
> >
> > I'm mentoring Beth and I suggested that she setup a pgfoundry project
> > for it.
>
> Ok, and you think it's a better idea than trying to work off the main CVS?
> Like I said, I don't have any objections, I'm just not sure how some of
> this stuff should be handled.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

Best regards,
Nikolay

Re: Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On 6/5/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Ok, and you think it's a better idea than trying to work off the main CVS?
> Like I said, I don't have any objections, I'm just not sure how some of
> this stuff should be handled.

Yeah, at least at first.  We're going through getting the basics done
(node creation, basic implementation, and initial addition to the
planner), then we'll submit it to -patches.  I want it to be about 90%
before submitting to -patches.  Also, I'd like to use the tasks
features on pgfoundry.

In the case of this patch, there can't really be any -hackers
arguments about it because there's not really any other way to do
this.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301
33 Wood Ave S, 2nd Floor            | jharris@enterprisedb.com
Iselin, New Jersey 08830            | http://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 09:08, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 6/5/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Ok, and you think it's a better idea than trying to work off the main
> > CVS? Like I said, I don't have any objections, I'm just not sure how some
> > of this stuff should be handled.
>
> Yeah, at least at first.  We're going through getting the basics done
> (node creation, basic implementation, and initial addition to the
> planner), then we'll submit it to -patches.  I want it to be about 90%
> before submitting to -patches.  Also, I'd like to use the tasks
> features on pgfoundry.
>
> In the case of this patch, there can't really be any -hackers
> arguments about it because there's not really any other way to do
> this.

Ahh... Jonah shows his inexperience... just because there is only one way to
do something will not prevent the -hackers crowd from arguing about it ;-D

--
Robert Treat

Re: Hashing Distinct/pgFoundry project?

От