Обсуждение: relevance

relevance

От
"jtx"
Дата:
I'm trying to build a really basic search engine for a site I'm using -
say I'm going to simplify this as much as I can.

Say I have a table with 2 columns: id, message

Person wants to search for the term 'sql'.  So, I'd do a simple search
like:

select id from tablename where message like '%sql%';

If there any way to determine exactly how many times 'sql' is matched in
that search in each particular row, and then sort by the most matches,
or am I going to have to write a script to do the sorting for me?

Thanks!

Re: relevance

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Have you seen contrib/tsearch ?
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/

Oleg

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, jtx wrote:

> I'm trying to build a really basic search engine for a site I'm using -
> say I'm going to simplify this as much as I can.
>
> Say I have a table with 2 columns: id, message
>
> Person wants to search for the term 'sql'.  So, I'd do a simple search
> like:
>
> select id from tablename where message like '%sql%';
>
> If there any way to determine exactly how many times 'sql' is matched in
> that search in each particular row, and then sort by the most matches,
> or am I going to have to write a script to do the sorting for me?
>
> Thanks!

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: relevance

От
Terence Kearns
Дата:
>>select id from tablename where message like '%sql%';
>>
>>If there any way to determine exactly how many times 'sql' is matched in
>>that search in each particular row, and then sort by the most matches,
>>or am I going to have to write a script to do the sorting for me?

You could probably write a function in postgres (say, "matchcount()")
which returns the match count (possibly using perl and a regex).

SELECT matchcount(message,'sql') AS matchcount, id
FROM tablename
WHERE message LIKE '%sql%'
ORDER BY matchcount(message,'sql') DESC

The ORDER BY will probably fail, but you can try :)

--
Terence Kearns ~ ph: +61 2 6201 5516
IT Database/Applications Developer

Re: relevance

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah

On Thursday 17 Jul 2003 8:21 am, Terence Kearns wrote:
> >>select id from tablename where message like '%sql%';
> >>
> >>If there any way to determine exactly how many times 'sql' is matched in
> >>that search in each particular row, and then sort by the most matches,
> >>or am I going to have to write a script to do the sorting for me?
>
> You could probably write a function in postgres (say, "matchcount()")
> which returns the match count (possibly using perl and a regex).

Why reinvent the wheel when tsearch already does the job perfectly
and is PostgreSQL compaitable.

Regds
Mallah.

> SELECT matchcount(message,'sql') AS matchcount, id
> FROM tablename
> WHERE message LIKE '%sql%'
> ORDER BY matchcount(message,'sql') DESC
>
> The ORDER BY will probably fail, but you can try :)

Re: relevance

От
Terence Kearns
Дата:
Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

>>You could probably write a function in postgres (say, "matchcount()")
>>which returns the match count (possibly using perl and a regex).
>

> Why reinvent the wheel when tsearch already does the job perfectly
> and is PostgreSQL compaitable.

Tsearch2 looks like it would be very useful but it's a lot of work to
implement IMHO. At least it will probably (assumption) be a lot more
efficient for massive amounts of data.

Remember the original question was regarding how to list results in
order of how many hits were returned for each matched record.