Обсуждение: US Date Style

US Date Style

От
Jason Earl
Note: I sent this to the pgsql-general list from
another account
yesterday, but it hasn't been answered.  My apologies
if you see it
twice.  On the other hand, I have taken some time to
proofread a bit,
so perhaps the punctuation won't be quite as bad.

I recently upgraded the PostgreSQL database on one of
my Debian Linux
boxes to postgresql-7.0-0.beta3-1 in preparation for
the grand
switchover to version 7.0.  So far I am quite
impressed, but I have
had a little bit of a problem setting the PGDATESTYLE
correctly.  For
historical reasons I would like to continue using the
US datestyle
(eg. Sat Jan 01 07:09:19 2000 MDT).

I have tried setting the variable in
/etc/postgresql/postmaster.init
and no joy.  I have also tried to set the value of
PGDATESTYLE
manually in psql using:

processdata=>\set PGDATESTYLE US

When I do this I am able to then check the variables
that are set and
I get:

processdata=> \set
VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 7.0.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by gcc 2.95.2'
DBNAME = 'processdata'
USER = 'earlj'
HOST = 'nampadata'
PORT = '5432'
ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
PROMPT1 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT2 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT3 = '>> '
HISTSIZE = '500'
PGDATESTYLE = 'US'

Unfortunately, when I test it out:

processdata=> select 'now'::datetime;       ?column?
------------------------2000-04-19 14:09:06-06
(1 row)

I still get the ISO format.  So what do I need to do
to get my US
datestyle back?

Sorry to bother,
Jason Earl

http://invites.yahoo.com

Re: US Date Style

От
Jason Earl
Дата:
With a little bit of grepping through the docs I have
found something that will mostly work for me.  I
simply need to have each client issue a:

SET DATESTYLE TO 'Postgres';

This works just fine, but (of course) I would rather
have this set up as the 'default.'  Does anyone know
how to do this?

Thanks again,
Jason

--- Jason Earl <jdearl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Note: I sent this to the pgsql-general list from
> another account
> yesterday, but it hasn't been answered.  My
> apologies
> if you see it
> twice.  On the other hand, I have taken some time to
> proofread a bit,
> so perhaps the punctuation won't be quite as bad.
>
> I recently upgraded the PostgreSQL database on one
> of
> my Debian Linux
> boxes to postgresql-7.0-0.beta3-1 in preparation for
> the grand
> switchover to version 7.0.  So far I am quite
> impressed, but I have
> had a little bit of a problem setting the
> PGDATESTYLE
> correctly.  For
> historical reasons I would like to continue using
> the
> US datestyle
> (eg. Sat Jan 01 07:09:19 2000 MDT).
>
> I have tried setting the variable in
> /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init
> and no joy.  I have also tried to set the value of
> PGDATESTYLE
> manually in psql using:
>
> processdata=>\set PGDATESTYLE US
>
> When I do this I am able to then check the variables
> that are set and
> I get:
>
> processdata=> \set
> VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 7.0.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> compiled by gcc 2.95.2'
> DBNAME = 'processdata'
> USER = 'earlj'
> HOST = 'nampadata'
> PORT = '5432'
> ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
> PROMPT1 = '%/%R%# '
> PROMPT2 = '%/%R%# '
> PROMPT3 = '>> '
> HISTSIZE = '500'
> PGDATESTYLE = 'US'
>
> Unfortunately, when I test it out:
>
> processdata=> select 'now'::datetime;
>         ?column?
> ------------------------
>  2000-04-19 14:09:06-06
> (1 row)
>
> I still get the ISO format.  So what do I need to do
> to get my US
> datestyle back?
>
> Sorry to bother,
> Jason Earl

http://invites.yahoo.com

Re: US Date Style

От
Jason Earl
Дата:
Thanks to <web Manager> and the PostgreSQL docs I have
found out what I was doing wrong.  Actually the fix
was so dead simple that I am more than a little
embarrased to share.

But here goes...

The Debian package of PostgreSQL has a nifty
configuration file /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init .
Basically this file let's you customize just about any
PostgreSQL parameter that is configurable at run time
and worth fiddling with.  I read the config file and
decided that setting:

PGDATESTYLE=US

Should do what I needed.  Unfortunately what I
actually wanted was:

PGDATESTYLE=POSTGRES

Thanks to web@inter-resa.com, and special thanks to
the PostgreSQL team for their continued efforts.

7.0 Rocks,
Jason Earl

--- Jason Earl <jdearl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> With a little bit of grepping through the docs I
> have
> found something that will mostly work for me.  I
> simply need to have each client issue a:
>
> SET DATESTYLE TO 'Postgres';
>
> This works just fine, but (of course) I would rather
> have this set up as the 'default.'  Does anyone know
> how to do this?
>
> Thanks again,
> Jason
>
> --- Jason Earl <jdearl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Note: I sent this to the pgsql-general list from
> > another account
> > yesterday, but it hasn't been answered.  My
> > apologies
> > if you see it
> > twice.  On the other hand, I have taken some time
> > proofread a bit,
> > so perhaps the punctuation won't be quite as bad.
> >
> > I recently upgraded the PostgreSQL database on one
> > of
> > my Debian Linux
> > boxes to postgresql-7.0-0.beta3-1 in preparation
> for
> > the grand
> > switchover to version 7.0.  So far I am quite
> > impressed, but I have
> > had a little bit of a problem setting the
> > PGDATESTYLE
> > correctly.  For
> > historical reasons I would like to continue using
> > the
> > US datestyle
> > (eg. Sat Jan 01 07:09:19 2000 MDT).
> >
> > I have tried setting the variable in
> > /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init
> > and no joy.  I have also tried to set the value of
> > PGDATESTYLE
> > manually in psql using:
> >
> > processdata=>\set PGDATESTYLE US
> >
> > When I do this I am able to then check the
> variables
> > that are set and
> > I get:
> >
> > processdata=> \set
> > VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 7.0.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> > compiled by gcc 2.95.2'
> > DBNAME = 'processdata'
> > USER = 'earlj'
> > HOST = 'nampadata'
> > PORT = '5432'
> > ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
> > PROMPT1 = '%/%R%# '
> > PROMPT2 = '%/%R%# '
> > PROMPT3 = '>> '
> > HISTSIZE = '500'
> > PGDATESTYLE = 'US'
> >
> > Unfortunately, when I test it out:
> >
> > processdata=> select 'now'::datetime;
> >         ?column?
> > ------------------------
> >  2000-04-19 14:09:06-06
> > (1 row)
> >
> > I still get the ISO format.  So what do I need to
> do
> > to get my US
> > datestyle back?
> >
> > Sorry to bother,
> > Jason Earl

http://invites.yahoo.com

Re: US Date Style

Дата:
Jason Earl <jdearl@yahoo.com> writes:
> With a little bit of grepping through the docs I have
> found something that will mostly work for me.  I
> simply need to have each client issue a:

> SET DATESTYLE TO 'Postgres';

> This works just fine, but (of course) I would rather
> have this set up as the 'default.'  Does anyone know
> how to do this?

PGDATESTYLE (note spelling) as an environment variable in the
environment of either the postmaster or the client application
will do it.  If you start the postmaster with that in its environment,
it becomes the default setting for all backends in that installation.
If you start a (libpq-based) client with that in its environment,
libpq will issue the SET DATESTYLE command for you during connection
startup.
        regards, tom lane

7.0rc1

От
Daniel Spratlen
Дата:
I see on the ftp site that 7.0rc1 is up there now.  Is this the last
before the final 7.0, or is this the final 7.0?
Either way, when can we expect rpm's of the final 7.0?
Thanks,
Daniel Spratlen
spratlen@arches.uga.edu

Re: 7.0rc1

Дата:
> I see on the ftp site that 7.0rc1 is up there now.  Is this the last
> before the final 7.0, or is this the final 7.0?
> Either way, when can we expect rpm's of the final 7.0?

It is just a candidate.  We will see if it the same as the final.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: 7.0rc1

Дата:
>> I see on the ftp site that 7.0rc1 is up there now.  Is this the last
>> before the final 7.0, or is this the final 7.0?
>> Either way, when can we expect rpm's of the final 7.0?

> It is just a candidate.  We will see if it the same as the final.

It's already known not to be the final ;-)

Current schedule is to go final on May 1.  In the meantime, keep those
beta-test reports coming... otherwise 7.0 won't be any better than rc1...
        regards, tom lane

Re: 7.0rc1

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
> > I see on the ftp site that 7.0rc1 is up there now.  Is this the last
> > before the final 7.0, or is this the final 7.0?
> > Either way, when can we expect rpm's of the final 7.0?
>
> It is just a candidate.  We will see if it the same as the final.
   Already outdated, Tom fixed the bug about count(*) from views   (thanks again).

Jan