Обсуждение: string containing (')

string containing (')

От
Atika
Дата:
HI!
Can anyone help,
I want to store a string into a relation that might contain an apostrophe
(').  Is there anyway around this or can I not store such strings.
Thanks for your help

Re: [SQL] string containing (')

Дата:
> HI!
> Can anyone help,
> I want to store a string into a relation that might contain an apostrophe
> (').  Is there anyway around this or can I not store such strings.
> Thanks for your help

'\''

Re: [SQL] string containing (')

От
Brian Baquiran
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > HI!
> > Can anyone help,
> > I want to store a string into a relation that might contain an apostrophe
> > (').  Is there anyway around this or can I not store such strings.
> > Thanks for your help
>
> '\''

I've always thought the proper way was to use 2 quotes ('').

Brian

Re: [SQL] string containing (')

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
At 18:06 +0200 on 20/03/1999, Brian Baquiran wrote:

> > > HI!
> > > Can anyone help,
> > > I want to store a string into a relation that might contain an apostrophe
> > > (').  Is there anyway around this or can I not store such strings.
> > > Thanks for your help
> >
> > '\''
>
> I've always thought the proper way was to use 2 quotes ('').

It is the proper way, as far as compatibility to standard SQL is concerned.
Both methods are supported by PostgreSQL, though.

I have a certain grievance against PostgreSQL and its escaping mechanism,
which makes scripts written in standard SQL produce wrong results if they
have backslashes in them.

Perhaps there should be a switch, SET COMPATIBILITY or something, which
disables incompatible parses from taking place, and allows using legacy
script with little concern for the content of the strings.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma