Обсуждение: PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x

PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x

От
Horák Daniel
Дата:
Hello,

thanks to all for their work with pgsql on Cygwin 1.1.4. I think we can drop
the support for Cygwin B20 - it is partly done in the last patches ;-) It
will enable to support AF_UNIX sockets for local communication (so there
will be no need to run "psql -h localhost") and also to use simplier method
of creating shared libraries - it is possible to use -shared option in gcc.
And it will be possible to create both shared and static libraries.

Will be there any problems with supporting only Cygwin 1.1.x?

        Dan

Daniel Horak
network and system administrator
e-mail: horak@sit.plzen-city.cz
privat e-mail: dan.horak@email.cz ICQ:36448176

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Horák Daniel writes:

> thanks to all for their work with pgsql on Cygwin 1.1.4. I think we can drop
> the support for Cygwin B20 - it is partly done in the last patches ;-)

Oh?  I sure hope not.

> Will be there any problems with supporting only Cygwin 1.1.x?

I cannot fully judge this issue, since I am not a user of Cygwin, but keep
in mind that Cygwin is essentially part of the operating system, and
telling users that want to upgrade from 7.0 to upgrade their operating
system first is not a good plan.  Heck, we keep support for such antiques
as SysV and Ultrix, so I think that we might want to keep support for the
current-minus-one Cygwin for at least another release.

OTOH, B20 is technically a beta release, and if dropping it would provide
for significant simplifications, then the Cygwin user community could make
that call.

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 03:03:42PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> OTOH, B20 is technically a beta release, and if dropping it would provide
> for significant simplifications, then the Cygwin user community could make
> that call.

IMO, I think that it is very reasonable to drop support for B20 because
Cygnus themselves do not really support B20 anymore.  I routinely see
issues that encourage upgrading to the latest Cygwin Net Release.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x

От
Pete Forman
Дата:
Jason Tishler writes:
 > On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 03:03:42PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
 > > OTOH, B20 is technically a beta release, and if dropping it would
 > > provide for significant simplifications, then the Cygwin user
 > > community could make that call.
 >
 > IMO, I think that it is very reasonable to drop support for B20
 > because Cygnus themselves do not really support B20 anymore.  I
 > routinely see responses from the core Cygwin team to posts on the
 > list regarding B20 issues that encourage upgrading to the latest
 > Cygwin Net Release.

We'd not exactly be dropping support for B20.  I built PostgreSQL
7.0.2 on it using both cygipc 1.03 + patch and 1.07.  It's just that
the instructions for building on 1.1.4 are much more straightforward.
Instructions such as "get a copy of libcrypt" are obsolete.
Presumably 7.0.3 will be even simpler.

Some sort of hint is needed for those who want to use B20, e.g.
pointers to the mail archives and an old copy of faq-nt.
But no more than that.
--
Pete Forman                 -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
Western Geophysical           -./\.-  by myself and does not represent

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x

От
Yutaka tanida
Дата:
> thanks to all for their work with pgsql on Cygwin 1.1.4. I think we can drop
> the support for Cygwin B20 - it is partly done in the last patches ;-) It
> will enable to support AF_UNIX sockets for local communication (so there
> will be no need to run "psql -h localhost") and also to use simplier method
> of creating shared libraries - it is possible to use -shared option in gcc.
> And it will be possible to create both shared and static libraries.
>
> Will be there any problems with supporting only Cygwin 1.1.x?

I think pgsql on Cygwin 1.1.x has much problem. For example,

* prepare pgbench in contrib/pgbench.
* run pgbench with 30 client access(-c 30)
* pgbench halt(due to pgbench's probrem?) ,so kill it.
* postmaster hung up in ServerLoop().No more connection was established.

I think we should not drop the support of B20 ,if pgsql on Cygwin 1.1
has less stablity than B20.

--
Yutaka tanida <yutaka@hi-net.zaq.ne.jp>