Обсуждение: Driver seems to hang fetching data

Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
Patrick Hatcher
Дата:
driver version 8.02.02

I have a query that returns around 30K records.  I have set the cache to
1000 records.  It appears that while pulling data, the driver hangs for
around 30 seconds or more and then continues to the next batch of records.
It does this same sort of behavior whether it caching is set to 100 or
1000. I am using DECLARE/FETCH.
Is there anywhere I can check for the bottle neck?

Thanks.

Patrick Hatcher

Re: Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
David Gardner
Дата:
I seem to remember having problems with Declare/Fetch, after turning it
off I had a huge performance boost when running large reports.

Patrick Hatcher wrote:
> driver version 8.02.02
>
> I have a query that returns around 30K records.  I have set the cache to
> 1000 records.  It appears that while pulling data, the driver hangs for
> around 30 seconds or more and then continues to the next batch of records.
> It does this same sort of behavior whether it caching is set to 100 or
> 1000. I am using DECLARE/FETCH.
> Is there anywhere I can check for the bottle neck?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Patrick Hatcher

Re: Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Patrick Hatcher wrote:
> driver version 8.02.02
>
> I have a query that returns around 30K records.  I have set the cache to
> 1000 records.  It appears that while pulling data, the driver hangs for
> around 30 seconds or more and then continues to the next batch of records.
> It does this same sort of behavior whether it caching is set to 100 or
> 1000. I am using DECLARE/FETCH.
> Is there anywhere I can check for the bottle neck?

Could send me the CommLog(psqlodbc_xxxx.log) output using the snapshot
dll at
  http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/index.html
?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
Patrick Hatcher
Дата:
But doesn't turning it off cause the entire recordset to come back at once?

Patrick Hatcher

             David Gardner
             <david.gardner@yu
             caipaco.com>                                               To
                                       Patrick Hatcher
             02/28/07 06:02 PM         <PHatcher@macys.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [ODBC] Driver seems to hang
                                       fetching data

Patrick Hatcher wrote:
> driver version 8.02.02
>
> I have a query that returns around 30K records.  I have set the cache to
> 1000 records.  It appears that while pulling data, the driver hangs for
> around 30 seconds or more and then continues to the next batch of
records.
> It does this same sort of behavior whether it caching is set to 100 or
> 1000. I am using DECLARE/FETCH.
> Is there anywhere I can check for the bottle neck?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Patrick Hatcher

Re: Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> But doesn't turning it off cause the entire recordset to come back at once?

Yes, it does.

> I seem to remember having problems with Declare/Fetch, after turning it
> off I had a huge performance boost when running large reports.

I have a huge performance reduce with turning off Declare/Fetch.

It depends what you want and how is the app written.

Regards,

Luf

Re: Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
Patrick Hatcher
Дата:
Here you go Hiroshi.  This was all that was in the Log file

[0.000]DSN info:
DSN='macys',server=XX.XXXXX.XX',port='5432',dbase='mdc_oz',user='',passwd='xxxxx'
[0.000]
onlyread='0',protocol='7.4',showoid='0',fakeoidindex='0',showsystable='0'
[0.000]          conn_settings='',conn_encoding='(null)'
[0.000]          translation_dll='',translation_option=''

Patrick Hatcher
Development Manager  Analytics/MIO
Macys.com

             Hiroshi Inoue
             <inoue@tpf.co.jp>
             02/28/07 08:10 PM         Patrick Hatcher
                                       <PHatcher@macys.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [ODBC] Driver seems to hang
                                       fetching data

Patrick Hatcher wrote:
> driver version 8.02.02
>
> I have a query that returns around 30K records.  I have set the cache to
> 1000 records.  It appears that while pulling data, the driver hangs for
> around 30 seconds or more and then continues to the next batch of
records.
> It does this same sort of behavior whether it caching is set to 100 or
> 1000. I am using DECLARE/FETCH.
> Is there anywhere I can check for the bottle neck?

Could send me the CommLog(psqlodbc_xxxx.log) output using the snapshot
dll at
  http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/index.html
?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> Here you go Hiroshi.  This was all that was in the Log file
>
> [0.000]DSN info:
> DSN='macys',server=XX.XXXXX.XX',port='5432',dbase='mdc_oz',user='',passwd='xxxxx'
> [0.000]
> onlyread='0',protocol='7.4',showoid='0',fakeoidindex='0',showsystable='0'
> [0.000]          conn_settings='',conn_encoding='(null)'
> [0.000]          translation_dll='',translation_option=''

Patrick,

  please turn on the common log also in Datasource dialog.
You turned it on only in Global dialog. It's not enough. You have to
see the select statement in psqlodbc_XXXX.log.

Regards,

Luf

Re: Driver seems to hang fetching data

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Patrick Hatcher wrote:
> Sorry.  I didn't realize there was a setting besides the Global one.  Here
> you go:
> (See attached file: psqlodbc_5360.log)

Thanks.

AFAIC the merits to use DECLARE/FETCH mode are
1. You can suppress the memory consumption at some level.
2. you can get first rows fast in some cases.

Looking at the log you sent me, probably the query in question is
declare "SQL_CUR02D9FB78" cursor for select amc_Week_id,
lpad(zl_divn_nbr::text,2,0) as zl_divn_nbr,
 lpad(dept::text,4,0) as dept, .............
As for the merit 1), though the query returns 156673 records , you can
get them successfully even when
 your machine has pretty small size of memory.

As for the merit 2),  you don't get first rows first for the query
unfortunately.
According to the Commlog
  declare "SQL_ ...               0.282sec
  fetch the 1st 1000 rows  431.453sec
  fetch the rest of the rows   29.89sec

Total throughput 461.625sec may be longer than that of the same query
without
using DECLARE/FETCH mode.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue