Обсуждение: HI

HI

От
"scotty"
Дата:
Hi I'm a programmer graduated in Bologna "Facolta di Ingegneria", and I've
discussed a thesis about similarity search written in C language.

I'm one of the Italian Postgresql Mailing list administrator at
postgresql.linuxtime.it

I read the post on popstgresql.org

I like C and I like postgresql, and I wish to join this project, but I've
never written a driver odbc and I'd like to learn about it, I hope so.

Bye

Enrico Pirozzi
scotty@linuxtime.it

Hi

От
"Andrzej Jagiellowicz"
Дата:
Where to find ODBC documentation?
On the web or in books?

bye
Andrzej

Re: HI

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Enrico (or do you prefer Scotty?),

We would welcome your involvement in the project - any contribution,
however small or large is appreciated. I sent an email to the odbc list
last week
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2004-06/msg00059.php),
detailing some of the work that needs to be done and giving a little
background. As this is open source, I'm obviously not going to assign
you a task :-), but please feel free to look at whatever interests you
there, or look at some of the bugs/feature requests on the website at
gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc if you prefer.

Regards, Dave.

Re: HI

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Scotty,

> I sow the link and I wish to learn about point 5:
>
> 5) SSL support should be added.
>
> Where I can see any kind of documentation to begin my work?

There is little documentation as nobody started any work yet :-(. I
think the first thing to consider, is whether it would be easier to
accommodate point 4 as well (upgrade to v3 protocol) at the same time as
adding SSL support by ripping out all the comms code and replacing it
with libpq. I'd really like to hear some opinions on that idea before
anything else is done, as not only would it solve both the current
problems, but it would also future-proof us against future protocol
changes.

The best bet for this one is simply to start looking at the code and try
figuring it out I think - I warn you though, this one is probably not
gonna be easy (though just adding SSL support to the current code is
probably the easiest option).

Some pointers:

V2 FE/BE Protocol:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/protocol.html
V3 FE/BE Prococol:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/protocol.html
psqlODBC source code:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/cvs/cvs.php/psqlodbc
Libpq source code:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/interfaces/l
ibpq/

Regards, Dave.

Re: HI

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> I think the first thing to consider, is whether it would be easier to
> accommodate point 4 as well (upgrade to v3 protocol) at the same time as
> adding SSL support by ripping out all the comms code and replacing it
> with libpq. I'd really like to hear some opinions on that idea before
> anything else is done, as not only would it solve both the current
> problems, but it would also future-proof us against future protocol
> changes.
> The best bet for this one is simply to start looking at the code and try
> figuring it out I think - I warn you though, this one is probably not
> gonna be easy

One point to make here is that libpq doesn't currently expose the full
power of the v3 protocol, and it's entirely possible that there are
things ODBC needs that you just can't get at in current libpq.  We'd
certainly be open to well-designed extensions of libpq's API to fix
any such problems ... but keep in mind that if such is needed, you'd be
tying ODBC to 7.6 or later libpq.  Might pose some distribution
problems.

I think that reimplementing ODBC on top of libpq would probably be
a good plan in the long haul, since in theory it ought to reduce
maintenance effort in the long haul.  But it won't be a quick fix.

            regards, tom lane