Обсуждение: dropped columns and ms access

dropped columns and ms access

От
"David P. Lurie"
Дата:
psqlODBC 07.03.02

PostgreSQL 7.4.3 (Cygwin)

MS Access 2003

Win XP Pro

Is there any workaround for the psqlODBC problem of MS Access losing the
ability to link to tables after dropping columns, other than pg_dump and
then reload?

Thanks,

David P. Lurie

Re: dropped columns and ms access

От
"Philippe Lang"
Дата:
Hello,

I'm not aware of a problem like that, really. Personnally, after each change to the backend, I relink all tables,
programmatically.Here is the code:

-------------------------------------
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

'*****************************************************************
' The DoesTblExist function validates the existence of a TableDef
' object in the current database. The result determines if an
' object should be appended or its Connect property refreshed.
'*****************************************************************
Function DoesTblExist(strTblName As String) As Boolean

    On Error Resume Next

    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim tbl As DAO.TableDef

    Set db = CurrentDb
    Set tbl = db.TableDefs(strTblName)

    If Err.Number = 3265 Then   ' Item not found.
        DoesTblExist = False
        Exit Function
    End If

    DoesTblExist = True

End Function

'*****************************************************************
' This relinks everything
'*****************************************************************
Function CreateODBCLinkedTables() As Boolean

    On Error GoTo CreateODBCLinkedTables_Err

    Dim strTblName As String
    Dim strConn As String
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim login As DAO.Recordset
    Dim tbl As DAO.TableDef
    Dim strDSN As String

    ' ---------------------------------------------
    ' We create the ODBC connection
    ' ---------------------------------------------
    Set db = CurrentDb
    Set login = db.OpenRecordset("select * from tblLogin")

    DBEngine.RegisterDatabase global_dsn_name(), _
        "PostgreSQL", _
        True, _
        "Description=SQL - " & login("DataBase") & _
        Chr(13) & "Server=" & login("Server") & _
        Chr(13) & "Database=" & login("DataBase") & _
        Chr(13) & "Username=" & login("UID") & _
        Chr(13) & "Password=" & login("PWD")

    ' ---------------------------------------------
    ' We create / refresh table links
    ' ---------------------------------------------
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("select * from tblODBCDataSources")

    While Not rs.EOF

        strTblName = rs("LocalTableName")

        strConn = "ODBC;"
        strConn = strConn & "DSN=" & global_dsn_name() & ";"
        strConn = strConn & "APP=Microsoft Access;"
        strConn = strConn & "DATABASE=" & login("DataBase") & ";"
        strConn = strConn & "UID=" & login("UID") & ";"
        strConn = strConn & "PWD=" & login("PWD") & ";"
        strConn = strConn & "TABLE=" & rs("ODBCTableName")

        If (DoesTblExist(strTblName) = False) Then
            Set tbl = db.CreateTableDef(strTblName, _
                        dbAttachSavePWD, rs("ODBCTableName"), _
                        strConn)
            db.TableDefs.Append tbl
        Else
            Set tbl = db.TableDefs(strTblName)
            tbl.Connect = strConn
            tbl.RefreshLink
        End If

        rs.MoveNext

    Wend

    CreateODBCLinkedTables = True

    MsgBox "Links are ok. Please restart MS Access.", vbInformation

CreateODBCLinkedTables_End:
    db.Close
    Application.Quit
    Exit Function

CreateODBCLinkedTables_Err:
   MsgBox Err.description, vbCritical, "MS Access"
   Resume CreateODBCLinkedTables_End

End Function
-------------------------------------

I use it in conjunction with a local table called "tblODBCDataSources", made up of two columns:
- ODBCTableName    text
- LocalTableName    text (PK)

I also use another local table, called "tblLogin":
- UID            text (PK)
- PWD            text
- Database        text
- Server        text

I hope this will help you. After a relink, I restart MS Access, the only workaround I was able to find in order to have
permissionsthat work.

------------------
Philippe Lang
Attik System

Is there any workaround for the psqlODBC problem of MS Access losing the ability to link to tables after dropping
columns,other than pg_dump and then reload?

Thanks,

David P. Lurie

      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: dropped columns and ms access

От
"David P. Lurie"
Дата:
"Philippe Lang" <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> wrote in message
>I'm not aware of a problem like that, really. Personnally, after each
change to the backend, I relink all tables, programmatically. Here is the
code:

Thanks,

I'm getting close to deploying an app at my office. Programmatically
relinking will make deployment easier for my employees, without having
everyone navigate menus and the Data Sources applet in Control Panel.

My current problem isn't with the relinking process, but with creating new
links after table structure modification. I got the dreaded #NAME? field
contents odbc error after changing a few table structures, primarily
deleting columns. No previous problems when columns were added. The cause
was not apparent until I found some threads related to this issue, actually
in this list, back in 12/2002 through 2/2003.

My normal sequence of events after a table modification on the backend is to
delete the previous link, then create a new link. The problems showed up
after this sequence, with the error described above.

The following post from 2/2003 addressed a fix, which seems to work thus
far:

  a.. From: Michael Calabrese <m2calabr ( at ) yahoo ( dot ) com>
  b.. To: pgsql-odbc ( at ) postgresql ( dot ) org
  c.. Subject: Re: Error when accessing tables with deleted columns
  d.. Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:16:29 -0800 (PST)

----

I just wanted people to know  if you have deleted a
column in postgres and can not relink the tables in MS
Access, the current solution is to
dump the database and reload it.

I was using 7.2.5 version of the odbc driver and
tested the CVS that Dave kindly arranged for me.  If
someone would like me to test a later CVS please just
email me with the location of a compiled version and I
will attempt to recreate my problem.

Thanks for everyones help,
Michael
 Thanks,

David P. Lurie

Re: dropped columns and ms access

От
"Philippe Lang"
Дата:
Hello,

I have tested what you mention, and I have no problem with deleted columns, after refreshing the linked tables in MS
Access.(2000) They just disappear, if I manually refresh the links with the tools menu, or if i do it programmatically
withthe code I gave you in my previous mail.

I use the ODBC driver version 7.03.02.09 and 7.03.02.08, they both work fine. I use the "Postgresql" driver, not the
Legacyor Unicode one. Be careful with driver 7.03.02.00, I had some weird problems with it. And pardon me if I'm wrong,
butI think it's the version that the latest installer uses. I had to write a small installer that replaces the dll with
thelatest one.

Have you tried installing the latest MDAC from Microsoft? I personnally installed the version 2.8 on all the clients,
fromNT4 to XP. With this config, everything runs really fine.

Philippe

>I'm not aware of a problem like that, really. Personnally, after each
change to the backend, I relink all tables, programmatically. Here is the
code:

Thanks,

I'm getting close to deploying an app at my office. Programmatically relinking will make deployment easier for my
employees,without having everyone navigate menus and the Data Sources applet in Control Panel.

My current problem isn't with the relinking process, but with creating new links after table structure modification. I
gotthe dreaded #NAME? field contents odbc error after changing a few table structures, primarily deleting columns. No
previousproblems when columns were added. The cause was not apparent until I found some threads related to this issue,
actuallyin this list, back in 12/2002 through 2/2003.

My normal sequence of events after a table modification on the backend is to delete the previous link, then create a
newlink. The problems showed up after this sequence, with the error described above.

The following post from 2/2003 addressed a fix, which seems to work thus
far:

  a.. From: Michael Calabrese <m2calabr ( at ) yahoo ( dot ) com>
  b.. To: pgsql-odbc ( at ) postgresql ( dot ) org
  c.. Subject: Re: Error when accessing tables with deleted columns
  d.. Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:16:29 -0800 (PST)

----

I just wanted people to know  if you have deleted a column in postgres and can not relink the tables in MS Access, the
currentsolution is to dump the database and reload it.

I was using 7.2.5 version of the odbc driver and tested the CVS that Dave kindly arranged for me.  If someone would
likeme to test a later CVS please just email me with the location of a compiled version and I will attempt to recreate
myproblem.

Thanks for everyones help,
Michael
 Thanks,

David P. Lurie

Re: dropped columns and ms access

От
"David P. Lurie"
Дата:
I'm currently using MDAC 2.7, and the ODBC driver is "Postgresql"
7.03.02.00.

The same error now occurs intermittently without having made any changes to
the backend, still only with tables that have had columns deleted at some
point. The last episode still persisted after relinking, but cleared after
closing, then reopening Access.

7.03.02.09 was in the snapshot folder on the postgresql ftp site. Will try
changing the ODBC driver as the next step.

Thanks for your assistance.

[...]

Дата:
How do I install the snapshot; it has the new psqlodbc.dll file and a
registry editor update file. I assume that the new file replaces the old dll
in windows\system32, and that I run the registry updater next. The
postgresql main web site and gborg are apparently down, or at least from my
isp connection, so I couldn't get to the installation docs.

David P. Lurie

Re: dropped columns and ms access

От
"David P. Lurie"
Дата:
Still having the same problems with 7.03.02.09 , but the deleted columns may
turn out to be unrelated.

I can load Access, and successfully run forms designed with linked tables,
or open the tables in datasheet mode without error.

The Access mdb containing the linked tables can be left loaded, I can come
back after a period of time, try and open the linked tables in question and
get the previous errors.

Relinking, deleting and recreating links, or closing and reopening the
Access mdb doesn't clear the error.

Closing and reloading Access clears the errors each and every time.

postmaster.log shows some errors that seem to appear once for each failed
attempt to link to a table:

ERROR:  relation "msysconf" does not exist (This can be ignored)
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type bigint: ""
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type bigint: ""
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type bigint: ""
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type bigint: ""
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type bigint: ""

The space between the double quotes contains an up arrow when viewed from a
cygwin bash prompt, and a tiny square when viewed in MS Word.

Most of the tables have an int8 field that set up to function like an Access
autonumber or SQLServer ident field, using a sequence, with default value of
nextval('sequence_name').  Access doesn't have a native int8 data type,
although Access projects can use int8 (bigint for SQLServer) data types with
SQLServer tables.

The ODBC driver is set to use row versioning, and all timestamp fields are
timestamp(0) per recommendations for Access. The errors occur whether int8
is configured for default or numeric.

I'm going to change the int8 columns to int4 columns and see if the problem
still occurs.

David P. Lurie