Обсуждение: MS-Access connection with oracle via odbc loses connection after 12 minutes

MS-Access connection with oracle via odbc loses connection after 12 minutes

От
liesbeth.vandenabeele@atosorigin.com (Liesbeth Van den Abeele)
Дата:
MS Access client starts up. Connection with oracle databse via odbc is
activated and runs perfectly.

After 12 minutes, without an action in the client the the oracle
connection is closed.

Another access application on the same oracle server with the same
odbc driver runs well.

Why does the connection closes after 12 minutes?

Re: MS-Access connection with oracle via odbc loses connection

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 9 Mar 2004, Liesbeth Van den Abeele wrote:

> MS Access client starts up. Connection with oracle databse via odbc is
> activated and runs perfectly.
>
> After 12 minutes, without an action in the client the the oracle
> connection is closed.
>
> Another access application on the same oracle server with the same
> odbc driver runs well.
>
> Why does the connection closes after 12 minutes?

I don't know.  Maybe you should ask this question on an Oracle mailing
list.  Since this one is for Postgresql, it's unlikely you'll find the
expertise here to answer your question.  but you never know.

Re: MS-Access connection with oracle via odbc loses connection after 12 minutes

От
"Philippe Lang"
Дата:
Hello,

Search for a key in the registry called "ConnectionTimeout":

Here it is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\ODBC]
"TraceODBCAPI"=dword:00000000
"DisableAsync"=dword:00000001
"TraceSQLMode"=dword:00000000
"QueryTimeout"=dword:0000003c
"LoginTimeout"=dword:00000014
"ConnectionTimeout"=dword:00000258   <---- HERE
"TryJetAuth"=dword:00000001
"FatBlastRows"=dword:ffffffff
"FatBlastTimeout"=dword:00000003
"AsyncRetryInterval"=dword:000001f4
"AttachCaseSensitive"=dword:00000000
"FastRequery"=dword:00000000
"ODBCISAMAttach"=dword:00000000
"PreparedInsert"=dword:00000000
"PreparedUpdate"=dword:00000000
"SnapshotOnly"=dword:00000000
"AttachableObjects"="'TABLE','VIEW','SYSTEM TABLE','ALIAS','SYNONYM'"

By default, this value is set to 258. Set it to 0, and you won't be disconnected anymore. The reason why the other
applicationdoes not disconnect is a bit strange, but we could imagine some kind of keep-alive built into the
application.

Philippe

MS Access client starts up. Connection with oracle databse via odbc is activated and runs perfectly.

After 12 minutes, without an action in the client the the oracle connection is closed.

Another access application on the same oracle server with the same odbc driver runs well.

Why does the connection closes after 12 minutes?

Re: MS-Access connection with oracle via odbc loses connection

От
Andreas
Дата:
Philippe Lang schrieb:

>Hello,
>
>Search for a key in the registry called "ConnectionTimeout":
>[...]
>
>By default, this value is set to 258. Set it to 0, and you won't be disconnected anymore. The reason why the other
applicationdoes not disconnect is a bit strange, but we could imagine some kind of keep-alive built into the
application.

[...]

It is an issue with Access that has long tradition.
Access stalled if this happend regardless of the server dbms.
A user had to kill Access with the taskmanager.

Someone sugested to have an invisible form that has a timer to ping the
db-server every 5 minutes or so.

AFAIK it is a Jet bug and got fixed in the last update of the Jet-db engine.
Look für Jet update revision 8.