Обсуждение: how to connect to a remote dbase using psql odbc

how to connect to a remote dbase using psql odbc

От
Дата:
how do I connect to a remote dbase using odbc? I've tried changing my dsn
on the other comp but it won't work ... the error about the user being not
there always shows up.. I changed the pg_ident but still it won't work...

can anyone help me out I need to solve this asap my thesis defense is next
week thx...

Raymond

Re: how to connect to a remote dbase using psql odbc

От
Chris Gamache
Дата:
Give us some more info:

What version of PostgreSQL are you connecting to?
From what application/environment are you attempting to connect from?
How did you start PostgreSQL? (Did you use -i ?)
Can you connect locally to PostgreSQL using "psql -Uuser_name database_name" ?
Why did you wait until _1_week_ before your thesis defense to get this working?
:)

My guess is that either you didn't use "-i" or your pg_hba.conf isn't set up
properly. That's actually more important to remote connection than
pg_ident.conf.

for instance:
<snip>
# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK           METHOD

local   all     all                                           trust
host    all     all     127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255     trust
host    all     all     10.10.0.1   255.255.255.255     password
host    all     all     10.10.0.2   255.255.255.255     password
</snip>

All local users don't need a password
All users from 10.10.0.1 and 10.10.0.2 need a password

If you want everyone to connect w/o password, set up their ip address and use
method "trust". If you're using method "ident" that's where pg_ident.conf comes
in. This is all very well documented. There are interactive docs on
www.postgresql.org.

I expect a citation in your revised thesis for the pgsql-odbc list, and for
every person who responds to your help request. :)

CG

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: how to connect to a remote dbase using psql odbc

От
Дата:
ey thx got it already....
I used trust instead of ident anyways I don't need any security of any
sort its just for my defense and I'm gonna simulate it in a lan
environment anyways here are the answers to your questions....
VERSION OF POSTGRES = PEERDIRECTS POSTGRES BETA
ENVIRONMENT = WINXP
-i = ?????? don't have a clue hehe
why just now?? = got confident....:(
LOCALLY? = IT WORKED NP COZ auth_type is set to trust hehe...

Raymond