Обсуждение: Restaring a dumped database

Restaring a dumped database

От
"Mohlomi Moloi"

Hi Everyone,

I’ve used the following script for my dump; pg_dump -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5432 -U mohlomi -F p teleform  > "teleform_Backup.dump" – and it worked fine.

After my dump, I dropped the database teleform - My nightmare starts when I try to restore and I get error massages that the database dropped already exist etc...

I used the script psql -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5432 -U mohlomi -d teleform < "teleform_Backup.dump" for restoring the database.

Funny enough the above scripts works at a table level!!!

Any assistance will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Mohlomi Moloi

Re: Restaring a dumped database

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
Mohlomi Moloi wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I’ve used the following script for my dump; pg_dump -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5432
> -U mohlomi -F p teleform  > "teleform_Backup.dump" – and it worked fine.
>
> After my dump, I dropped the database teleform - My nightmare starts
> when I try to restore and I get error massages that the database dropped
> already exist etc...
>
> I used the script psql -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5432 -U mohlomi -d teleform <
> "teleform_Backup.dump" for restoring the database.
>
> Funny enough the above scripts works at a table level!!!
>
> Any assistance will be welcomed.

If you are trying to restore over an existing database; then you should
either:
1) use -c option on pg_dump.
2) manually drop all tables, indexes and database.

Re: Restaring a dumped database

От
Mohlomi Moloi
Дата:
Thanks for the help Frank!! However I'm now faced with a question - Why my database after the restore worked, all of a
suddengrew bigger.

Thanks,

Mohlomi  Moloi

> I’ve used the following script for my dump; pg_dump -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5432
> -U mohlomi -F p teleform  > "teleform_Backup.dump" – and it worked fine.
>
> After my dump, I dropped the database teleform - My nightmare starts
> when I try to restore and I get error massages that the database dropped
> already exist etc...
>
> I used the script psql -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5432 -U mohlomi -d teleform <
> "teleform_Backup.dump" for restoring the database.
>
> Funny enough the above scripts works at a table level!!!
>
> Any assistance will be welcomed.

If you are trying to restore over an existing database; then you should
either:
1) use -c option on pg_dump.
2) manually drop all tables, indexes and database.

Re: Restaring a dumped database

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
How did you measure "bigger"?

Mohlomi Moloi wrote:
> Thanks for the help Frank!! However I'm now faced with a question - Why my database after the restore worked, all of
asudden grew bigger.

> Thanks,
>
> Mohlomi  Moloi

Дата:
Bigger measured by looking at the previous size of the database - that was 34 megabytes and the restored was 800
megabytes.What I noticed was some of my table had triple the amount of rows in contrast to the old database. :)

> Thanks for the help Frank!! However I'm now faced with a question - Why my database after the restore worked, all of
asudden grew bigger.

> Thanks,
>
> Mohlomi  Moloi

Дата:
Mohlomi Moloi <mmoloi@khulisa.com> writes:
> Bigger measured by looking at the previous size of the database - that was 34 megabytes and the restored was 800
megabytes.What I noticed was some of my table had triple the amount of rows in contrast to the old database. :)

Maybe you did the restore three times?  If you do that and ignore errors
about objects already existing, you could end up with multiple copies
of all rows (at least in tables without any unique indexes).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Restaring a dumped database

От
"Mohlomi Moloi"
Дата:
Tom Lane! Tom Lane! Tom Lane! Just checked my history to confirm and yes
I've ignored errors about objects already existing. Problem solved with
the cause known!

Best regards, Mohlomi Moloi