Обсуждение: Best starter book

Best starter book

От
Donn Washburn
Дата:
Hey Group;

I have openSuSE 11.3 M7 version pf 8.4.  What would be a good starter book.
I will be using pgsql as a small business DB.

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "

Re: Best starter book

От
Andreas
Дата:
Am 21.05.2010 17:11, schrieb Donn Washburn:
> I have openSuSE 11.3 M7 version pf 8.4.  What would be a good starter
> book.
> I will be using pgsql as a small business DB.

As allways ... it depends on what you need to know.

The documentation of PG is really good.
If you are allready a db guru then you should be happy with it.

As you are asking this question in the novice forum you might as well
never been working with an dbms at all.

Probaply you have some existing application that should store its data
with PG as backend where you personally wouldn't need to know much
besides of setting things up and making a backup now and then.

Maybe you expect something like MS-Access that has a powerfull frontend
or maybe you know what a rdbms is but want to learn SQL?

What will it be?

Re: Best starter book

От
John Gage
Дата:
At the risk of sounding completely dumb and non-responsive, I strongly
suggest reading the postgres documentation which includes a tutorial.
I also find SQL Cookbook by Molinaro to an extremely useful reference.

The power of postgres is contained in no small part by its strong
regular expression features.  For that I recommend the "bible"
Friedl's Regular Expression book from O'Reilly.  The study of regular
expressions rewards 10-fold every moment it consumes.

73,

John

On May 21, 2010, at 5:11 PM, Donn Washburn wrote:

> Hey Group;
>
> I have openSuSE 11.3 M7 version pf 8.4.  What would be a good
> starter book.
> I will be using pgsql as a small business DB.
>
> --
> 73 de Donn Washburn
> 307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "
> Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
> Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb@arrl.net "
> VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg
> BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
>      " http://counter.li.org " #279316

Re: Best starter book

От
Richard Broersma
Дата:
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Donn Washburn <n5xwb@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have openSuSE 11.3 M7 version pf 8.4.  What would be a good starter book.
> I will be using pgsql as a small business DB.

I like these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Celkos-Programming-Kaufmann-Management-Systems/dp/0120887975
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Celkos-Smarties-Third-ebook/dp/B000VSP2PE/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Best starter book

От
Donn Washburn
Дата:
On 05/21/2010 11:22 AM, Andreas wrote:
> Am 21.05.2010 17:11, schrieb Donn Washburn:
>> I have openSuSE 11.3 M7 version pf 8.4.  What would be a good starter
>> book.
>> I will be using pgsql as a small business DB.
>
> As always ... it depends on what you need to know.
Basically the setup of Postgres - password, users and then likely.
I am a Linux compTIA Linux+ certified person and have never needed a
true DB.
So that is where I am looking

> The documentation of PG is really good.
> If you are allready a db guru then you should be happy with it.
>
> As you are asking this question in the novice forum you might as well
> never been working with an dbms at all.

This is basically true.  I have had UNIX FilePro+ or Profile back in the
1980s.
I did build our business software using FilePro+
> Probaply you have some existing application that should store its data
> with PG as backend where you personally wouldn't need to know much
> besides of setting things up and making a backup now and then.
>
> Maybe you expect something like MS-Access that has a powerfull
> frontend or maybe you know what a rdbms is but want to learn SQL?
Yes likely closer to FilePro but I only use or have Linux.  No MS
anything here.
I have setup MySQL and used phpMyAdmin.  However, it does offer a
message tell you how to setup a password

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb@arrl.net "
BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
       " http://counter.li.org " #279316

Re: Best starter book

От
Donn Washburn
Дата:
This is an example of the problem.

I went to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ and started
looking at everything until  /tutorial-createdb.html.  Where it states
createdb.

I get as a (system user)donn@m1l-suse:~> createdb mydb
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  Ident
authentication failed for user "donn"

The attached file show postmaster is working.  I assume this is a
security/ issue with a lack of password.  Or maybe a /etc/groups problem

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb@arrl.net "
BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
       " http://counter.li.org " #279316

Вложения

Re: Best starter book

Дата:
Donn Washburn <n5xwb@comcast.net> writes:
> This is an example of the problem.
> I went to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ and started
> looking at everything until  /tutorial-createdb.html.  Where it states
> createdb.

> I get as a (system user)donn@m1l-suse:~> createdb mydb
> createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  Ident
> authentication failed for user "donn"

Well, the reason you're not likely to find this covered as the first
item in any Postgres book is that it's specific to particular
configurations.  Evidently you have got an installation that sets up
"ident" as the standard login authentication method, which is common
in Linux packagings of PG but it's not the factory default.  Anyway
ident insists (by default, again) that your OS-level user name match
the database user name you're trying to log in as.  Now since you
don't have a database user named "donn", that fails.  The only database
user you do have, most likely, is postgres.  So the first thing you want
to do is something like

    sudo su - postgres
    createuser donn
    ^D

and now you'll be able to connect as user donn.  NB: createuser will
ask whether to make donn a superuser, which you probably want if
you're just playing around.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Best starter book

От
Andreas
Дата:
As Tom explained in his post the error results from the way
authentication is configured in PG's data directory.
I think OpenSuse sets it here  /var/lib/pgsql

In pg_hba.conf you can define how a client has to authenticate devided
in 3 zones coming through local (default) or via network port 5432
either on localhost or on the external interface.

You created the database "mydb". In Suse's default setting only the unix
user "mydb" or a db-superuser can access this db and there has to be a
db-usere "mydb", too.

You might install pgAdmin as managing tool. It's a binary application
available for Linux and Windows.
It should be in the OpenSuse repository.
http://www.pgadmin.org/

Then there is a web-application phpPgAdmin if you like that better.

Am 21.05.2010 19:36, schrieb Donn Washburn:
> This is an example of the problem.
>
> I went to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ and started
> looking at everything until  /tutorial-createdb.html.  Where it states
> createdb.
>
> I get as a (system user)donn@m1l-suse:~> createdb mydb
> createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  Ident
> authentication failed for user "donn"
>
> The attached file show postmaster is working.  I assume this is a
> security/ issue with a lack of password.  Or maybe a /etc/groups problem
>

> On 05/21/2010 10:48 AM, Michael Gould wrote:
>> Donn,
>>
>> There are not a lot of books available and most of them just rehash
>> for the
>> most part what is in he documentation.  You can get the "standard"
>> doc's in
>> printed format.  I've found that between the documentaton which on a
>> scale
>> of 1-10 I would rate about a 7 and the answers in the email groups,
>> you'll
>> find that overall support is many times better than a commerical
>> software.
>> They have a robot named Tom Lane who isin the groups.  I say robot
>> because I
>> see that he answers items what seems like 24 hours a day so I know he
>> can't
>> be a real person as he can't sleep. :)
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> Mike Gould
>>
>> "Donn Washburn"<n5xwb@comcast.net>  wrote:
>>> Hey Group;
>>>
>>> I have openSuSE 11.3 M7 version pf 8.4.  What would be a good starter
>> book.
>>> I will be using pgsql as a small business DB.
>>>
>>> --
>>> 73 de Donn Washburn
>>> 307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "
>>> Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
>>> Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb@arrl.net "
>>> VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg
>>> BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
>>>         " http://counter.li.org " #279316

Re: Best starter book

От
Dan Halbert
Дата:
On 5/21/2010 11:11 AM, Donn Washburn wrote:
> What would be a good starter book.

I looked at several PostgreSQL-specific books about a year ago, and
picked this one:
Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional, Second
Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Databases-PostgreSQL-Novice-Professional/dp/1590594789

This is an intelligently written database intro book that covers both
general database topics and PostgreSQL-specific topics. I had Oracle and
MySQL experience beforehand, but still found this book quite useful. It
is true now that I generally refer to the documentation.

Dan

Re: Best starter book

От
Donn Washburn
Дата:
On 05/22/2010 10:51 AM, Dan Halbert wrote:
> On 5/21/2010 11:11 AM, Donn Washburn wrote:
>> What would be a good starter book.
>
> I looked at several PostgreSQL-specific books about a year ago, and
> picked this one:
> Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional,
> Second Edition
> http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Databases-PostgreSQL-Novice-Professional/dp/1590594789
>

> This is an intelligently written database intro book that covers both
> general database topics and PostgreSQL-specific topics. I had Oracle
> and MySQL experience beforehand, but still found this book quite
> useful. It is true now that I generally refer to the documentation.
>
> Dan

Well thanks to all that replied.  I did order one of these books and we
will see how it goes.  I do much better at looking at printed pages than
the screen

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb@arrl.net "
BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
       " http://counter.li.org " #279316

Re: Best starter book

От
Mladen Gogala
Дата:
Dan Halbert wrote:
> On 5/21/2010 11:11 AM, Donn Washburn wrote:
>
>> What would be a good starter book.
>>

> I looked at several PostgreSQL-specific books about a year ago, and
> picked this one:
> Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional, Second
> Edition
> http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Databases-PostgreSQL-Novice-Professional/dp/1590594789
>
> This is an intelligently written database intro book that covers both
> general database topics and PostgreSQL-specific topics. I had Oracle and
> MySQL experience beforehand, but still found this book quite useful. It
> is true now that I generally refer to the documentation.
>
> Dan

I concur. I also used the same book, the book was very useful to me.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA

Re: Best starter book

От
Jayadevan M

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Databases-PostgreSQL-Novice-Professional/dp/1590594789
Which version of PostgreSQL is covered in this book?
Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

Re: Best starter book

От
Mladen Gogala
Дата:
It's mostly not version specific, but it does cover version 8. There is
nothing about sub-query factoring and the window functions, so it
doesn't cover version 8.4. I would still recommend it, though.

Jayadevan M wrote:
> http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Databases-PostgreSQL-Novice-Professional/dp/1590594789
> Which version of PostgreSQL is covered in this book?
> Regards,
> Jayadevan
>

> DISCLAIMER:
>
> "The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
> the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
> contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
> IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
> adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
> attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
> or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
(212) 329-5251
www.vmsinfo.com

Re: Best starter book

От
gargoyle60
Дата:
Try this one...

'PostgreSQL' by Korry Douglas and Susan Douglas (ISBN 0-672-32756-2)

Re: Best starter book

От
u235sentinel
Дата:
On 05/21/2010 01:08 PM, gargoyle60 wrote:
> Try this one...
>
> 'PostgreSQL' by Korry Douglas and Susan Douglas (ISBN 0-672-32756-2)

I have enjoyed the Apress book "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL" by
Neil Mathew and Richard Stones