Обсуждение: max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

От
Lonni J Friedman
Дата:
Greetings,
I have a postgresql 8.1.10 instance running on Linux.  When vacuumdb
runs, I see the following in the server log:

NOTICE:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked
HINT:  You have at least 1000 relations.  Consider increasing the
configuration parameter "max_fsm_relations".
LOG:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

What is puzzling, is where its getting that 1000 from, as in
postgresql.conf, I have:
max_fsm_relations = 2000

I've restarted the server (several times, in fact) since setting
max_fsm_relations=2000, so I can't figure out why its still using
1000.  Is there some alternate location that it might be getting set?

thanks

Re: max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

Дата:
Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> writes:
> I have a postgresql 8.1.10 instance running on Linux.  When vacuumdb
> runs, I see the following in the server log:

> NOTICE:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked
> HINT:  You have at least 1000 relations.  Consider increasing the
> configuration parameter "max_fsm_relations".
> LOG:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

> What is puzzling, is where its getting that 1000 from, as in
> postgresql.conf, I have:
> max_fsm_relations = 2000

> I've restarted the server (several times, in fact) since setting
> max_fsm_relations=2000, so I can't figure out why its still using
> 1000.  Is there some alternate location that it might be getting set?

Sounds to me like you're editing the wrong config file.  Have you
checked "show config_file" to see what the postmaster thinks it's
using?

            regards, tom lane

Re: max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

От
Lonni J Friedman
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have a postgresql 8.1.10 instance running on Linux.  When vacuumdb
>> runs, I see the following in the server log:
>
>> NOTICE:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked
>> HINT:  You have at least 1000 relations.  Consider increasing the
>> configuration parameter "max_fsm_relations".
>> LOG:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked
>
>> What is puzzling, is where its getting that 1000 from, as in
>> postgresql.conf, I have:
>> max_fsm_relations = 2000
>
>> I've restarted the server (several times, in fact) since setting
>> max_fsm_relations=2000, so I can't figure out why its still using
>> 1000.  Is there some alternate location that it might be getting set?
>
> Sounds to me like you're editing the wrong config file.  Have you
> checked "show config_file" to see what the postmaster thinks it's
> using?

show config_file ;
             config_file
-------------------------------------
 /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
(1 row)

$ grep max_fsm_relations /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
#max_fsm_pages = 20000            # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 bytes each
#max_fsm_relations = 1500        # min 100, ~70 bytes each
max_fsm_relations = 2000

That's the file that I thought it should have been using.  Is there a
way to dynamically change the value from within psql?

Re: max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

От
Lonni J Friedman
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have a postgresql 8.1.10 instance running on Linux.  When vacuumdb
>> runs, I see the following in the server log:
>
>> NOTICE:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked
>> HINT:  You have at least 1000 relations.  Consider increasing the
>> configuration parameter "max_fsm_relations".
>> LOG:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked
>
>> What is puzzling, is where its getting that 1000 from, as in
>> postgresql.conf, I have:
>> max_fsm_relations = 2000
>
>> I've restarted the server (several times, in fact) since setting
>> max_fsm_relations=2000, so I can't figure out why its still using
>> 1000.  Is there some alternate location that it might be getting set?
>
> Sounds to me like you're editing the wrong config file.  Have you
> checked "show config_file" to see what the postmaster thinks it's
> using?

Oh, and it gets better:

# show max_fsm_relations ;
 max_fsm_relations
-------------------
 2000
(1 row)

So the log is claiming its set to 1000 even though inside of psql it
shows the correct value.

Re: max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 09:01 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> I've restarted the server (several times, in fact) since setting
> max_fsm_relations=2000, so I can't figure out why its still using
> 1000.

Is this Gentoo?
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com

Вложения

Re: max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

От
Lonni J Friedman
Дата:
2009/8/4 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 09:01 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>>
>> I've restarted the server (several times, in fact) since setting
>> max_fsm_relations=2000, so I can't figure out why its still using
>> 1000.
>
> Is this Gentoo?
> --

No, its FC6

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       https://netllama.linux-sxs.org

Re: max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked

Дата:
Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> writes:
> 2009/8/4 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
>> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 09:01 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>>> I've restarted the server (several times, in fact) since setting
>>> max_fsm_relations=2000, so I can't figure out why its still using
>>> 1000.
>>
>> Is this Gentoo?

> No, its FC6

I suppose Devrim was wondering about the init script overriding the
setting via the postmaster command line.  But even if it had, that
would affect the value you see with SHOW.  This setting is *not*
modifiable after postmaster start, so it's pretty hard to explain
how what you see with SHOW wouldn't be the active setting.

I'm guessing that you're somehow looking at the wrong log file or
misinterpreting what you see there.  Are you sure the messages
mentioning 1000 are current (emitted since restart)?

            regards, tom lane