Обсуждение: 'Hot' backup of PostgreSQL dbases

'Hot' backup of PostgreSQL dbases

От
Mark

Using PostgreSQL 8.3.7, I'd like to make a 'hot' backup of my dbases.

I've been using "pg_dumpall -c -o" for a while, but I realize that this is

no good. After all, for a restore, the PostgreSQL server needs to be up!

And what happens if the dbases crash/become corrupted (say, after a

power-outage), and PostgreSQL won't start up any more? In MySQL, this was

easy. In a Perl script I did something like: "FLUSH TABLES WITH READ

LOCK", and then I proceeded to tar the entire dbases directory (so I could

untar, without the MySQL server needing to be up).

Can something similiar be done in PostgreSQL, *without* bringing down the

server in its entirety?

Thanks,

- Mark

Re: 'Hot' backup of PostgreSQL dbases

От
Ognjen Blagojevic
Mark wrote:
> I've been using "pg_dumpall -c -o" for a while, but I realize that this is
> no good. After all, for a restore, the PostgreSQL server needs to be up!
> And what happens if the dbases crash/become corrupted (say, after a
> power-outage), and PostgreSQL won't start up any more? In MySQL, this was
> easy. In a Perl script I did something like: "FLUSH TABLES WITH READ
> LOCK", and then I proceeded to tar the entire dbases directory (so I could
> untar, without the MySQL server needing to be up).

You can always delete the DB cluster, initialize it, start Postgres and
then restore it from the dump.

See also:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/backup.html

for other possibilities of backing up including file system backup.

Regards,
Ognjen

Re: 'Hot' backup of PostgreSQL dbases

От
Mark
> You can always delete the DB cluster, initialize it, start
> Postgres and then restore it from the dump.

That actually sounds like a solid plan, and it will guarantee PostgreSQL
can always start up, no matter how bad things may have gotten.

Thanks,

- Mark