Обсуждение: postgres launch os applications

postgres launch os applications

От
"Ertel, Steve"

I am trying to start an OS executable every time that a table is updated.  I know that I should create a trigger on the table, but how do I launch the OS executable.  I have a background in sql server.  In it we would use something like xsp_execute().  I am looking for the equivalent function call in Postgres.

Resent this email to group after subscribing to mailing list.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: postgres launch os applications

От
"Sean Davis"
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Ertel, Steve <Steve.Ertel@infimatic.com> wrote:
> I am trying to start an OS executable every time that a table is updated.  I
> know that I should create a trigger on the table, but how do I launch the OS
> executable.  I have a background in sql server.  In it we would use
> something like xsp_execute().  I am looking for the equivalent function call
> in Postgres.

You cannot do this with any "trusted" language (which includes
pg/plsql).  However, you can use any of the untrusted languages like
pl/python, pl/perl, pl/java, pl/tcl, etc.  Of course, each of those
languages has its own specifics dealing with starting executables.

Sean

Re: postgres launch os applications

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

> You cannot do this with any "trusted" language (which includes
> pg/plsql).  However, you can use any of the untrusted languages like
> pl/python, pl/perl, pl/java, pl/tcl, etc.  Of course, each of those
> languages has its own specifics dealing with starting executables.

To add to this point.  IIRC, these languages are untrusted because
they can trigger events outside the database that cannot be rolled
back in the event of an error.

Another option to might work is using the list notify mechanism.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: postgres launch os applications

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Ertel, Steve <Steve.Ertel@infimatic.com> schrieb:

> I am trying to start an OS executable every time that a table is updated.  I
> know that I should create a trigger on the table, but how do I launch the OS
> executable.  I have a background in sql server.  In it we would use something
> like xsp_execute().  I am looking for the equivalent function call in Postgres.

Write a trigger-function using an untrusted language like pl/perlU. You
can call arbitray commands within an untrusted language. With the
regular trusted languages such plpgsql or so you can't call external
programs.

Andreas

Re: postgres launch os applications

От
"Sean Davis"
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Richard Broersma
<richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>
>> You cannot do this with any "trusted" language (which includes
>> pg/plsql).  However, you can use any of the untrusted languages like
>> pl/python, pl/perl, pl/java, pl/tcl, etc.  Of course, each of those
>> languages has its own specifics dealing with starting executables.
>
> To add to this point.  IIRC, these languages are untrusted because
> they can trigger events outside the database that cannot be rolled
> back in the event of an error.
>
> Another option to might work is using the list notify mechanism.

This is definitely the better option.

Sean

Re: postgres launch os applications

От
mrbuseco@buseco.net
Дата:
pt;">One could use an embedded SQL C program to update the table, and then =
have thatsame program invoke another executable via exec() or system() =
calls.If you are using Apache and this is an update based on form d=
ata from an HTMLdocument (aren't we all?), one should already be using =
CGI-BIN programming withembedded SQL and be able to fit this right in.<=
br>Matt
: 8px; padding-left: 8px; font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: verda=
na;">
> I am trying to start an OS executable every time that a table is updat=
ed.  I
> know that I should create a trigger on the table, but how do I launch =
the OS
> executable.  I have a background in sql server.  In it we would use so=
mething
> like xsp_execute().  I am looking for the equivalent function call in =
Postgres.

Write a trigger-function using an untrusted language like pl/perlU. You
can call arbitray commands within an untrusted language. With the
regular trusted languages such plpgsql or so you can't call external
programs.

Andreas
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082=C2=B0, E 13.5688=
9=C2=B0