Обсуждение: I'm very confused.

I'm very confused.

От
Brant Fitzsimmons
Дата:

Hi there,

I think that this may be my first post to this list so be gentle.

I'm having a very strange problem (to me) and I hope that someone can
shed some light on what I'm not seeing.

I created a database and table from the command line using: sudo su
postgres createdb test

That worked fine and created the stated table.

I then logged in using: sudo su postgres psql test

Again, that worked fine.

I created a table from the prompt using: create table users (userID
serial, userName varchar(32), firstName varchar(32), lastName
varchar(64), email varchar(128));

The table was successfully created.  So good so far.  Don't mind the
values of the varchar's; this is purely for testing.

I then added a primary key to the table using:  alter table users add
primary key (userId);

Again, it worked.

Here's where it starts to get weird.

I inserted data into the table using: insert into users (username,
firstName, lastName, email) values ('bfitzsimmons', 'Brant',
'Fitzsimmons', 'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com');

It went in properly and I was able to select the inserted data without
any problems (select * from users;).

I then wrote a python script to insert and select data from the
table.  The script is able to insert and retrieve data without any
problems...*but*...from the console I can't retrieve any of the
records inserted by the script.

Records that are entered at the console show up when I do a select
with the script, but not the other way around.  I have tried to the
RTFM as much as possible, but I'm still lost as to why while accessing
the same table I can't access the data manipulated by the script.  I
don't know if it has anything to do with tablespaces or what, but I'm
really starting to get frustrated.

I'm from a MySQL background and I'm completely stumped as to how you
can, through a script, insert data into a database *created at the
console* and not be able to select that data from the console.  I know
it's there taking up space on my machine, and I can select it from the
script, but I can't manipulate it in any way outside of that.

Any thoughts?

- --
Brant Fitzsimmons
brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com
"Strange times are these in which we live when the old and the
young are taught falsehoods in the schools of learning. And the one
man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and
a fool."
                            -Plato

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Tuesday 16 January 2007 22:42, Brant Fitzsimmons
<brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
> Records that are entered at the console show up when I do a select
> with the script, but not the other way around.  I have tried to the
> RTFM as much as possible, but I'm still lost as to why while
> accessing the same table I can't access the data manipulated by the
> script.  I don't know if it has anything to do with tablespaces or
> what, but I'm really starting to get frustrated.

Is the script starting a transaction and not committing it?  If so, the
changes it makes will not be visible to other processes.  psql by
default operates in auto-commit mode, every statement is committed on
completion.

If this is not the case, I would have to say you are not in fact working
on the same table, somehow.

be properly armed." -- Alexander Hamilton

Re: I'm very confused.

От
"Jasbinder Singh Bali"
Дата:
Please attach a snippet of your python script and lets see what are
you doing there.
That might make things easy.
Jas

On 1/17/07, Brant Fitzsimmons <brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think that this may be my first post to this list so be gentle.
>
> I'm having a very strange problem (to me) and I hope that someone can
> shed some light on what I'm not seeing.
>
> I created a database and table from the command line using: sudo su
> postgres createdb test
>
> That worked fine and created the stated table.
>
> I then logged in using: sudo su postgres psql test
>
> Again, that worked fine.
>
> I created a table from the prompt using: create table users (userID
> serial, userName varchar(32), firstName varchar(32), lastName
> varchar(64), email varchar(128));
>
> The table was successfully created.  So good so far.  Don't mind the
> values of the varchar's; this is purely for testing.
>
> I then added a primary key to the table using:  alter table users add
> primary key (userId);
>
> Again, it worked.
>
> Here's where it starts to get weird.
>
> I inserted data into the table using: insert into users (username,
> firstName, lastName, email) values ('bfitzsimmons', 'Brant',
> 'Fitzsimmons', 'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com');
>
> It went in properly and I was able to select the inserted data without
> any problems (select * from users;).
>
> I then wrote a python script to insert and select data from the
> table.  The script is able to insert and retrieve data without any
> problems...*but*...from the console I can't retrieve any of the
> records inserted by the script.
>
> Records that are entered at the console show up when I do a select
> with the script, but not the other way around.  I have tried to the
> RTFM as much as possible, but I'm still lost as to why while accessing
> the same table I can't access the data manipulated by the script.  I
> don't know if it has anything to do with tablespaces or what, but I'm
> really starting to get frustrated.
>
> I'm from a MySQL background and I'm completely stumped as to how you
> can, through a script, insert data into a database *created at the
> console* and not be able to select that data from the console.  I know
> it's there taking up space on my machine, and I can select it from the
> script, but I can't manipulate it in any way outside of that.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> - --
> Brant Fitzsimmons
> brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com
> - -------------------------------------------------------------------
> "Strange times are these in which we live when the old and the
> young are taught falsehoods in the schools of learning. And the one
> man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and
> a fool."
>                            -Plato

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Brant Fitzsimmons
Дата:

Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I think that this may be my first post to this list so be gentle.
>
> I'm having a very strange problem (to me) and I hope that someone
> can shed some light on what I'm not seeing.
>
> I created a database and table from the command line using: sudo su
>  postgres createdb test
>
> That worked fine and created the stated table.
>
> I then logged in using: sudo su postgres psql test
>
> Again, that worked fine.
>
> I created a table from the prompt using: create table users (userID
>  serial, userName varchar(32), firstName varchar(32), lastName
> varchar(64), email varchar(128));
>
> The table was successfully created.  So good so far.  Don't mind
> the values of the varchar's; this is purely for testing.
>
> I then added a primary key to the table using:  alter table users
> add primary key (userId);
>
> Again, it worked.
>
> Here's where it starts to get weird.
>
> I inserted data into the table using: insert into users (username,
> firstName, lastName, email) values ('bfitzsimmons', 'Brant',
> 'Fitzsimmons', 'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com');
>
> It went in properly and I was able to select the inserted data
> without any problems (select * from users;).
>
> I then wrote a python script to insert and select data from the
> table.  The script is able to insert and retrieve data without any
> problems...*but*...from the console I can't retrieve any of the
> records inserted by the script.
>
> Records that are entered at the console show up when I do a select
> with the script, but not the other way around.  I have tried to the
>  RTFM as much as possible, but I'm still lost as to why while
> accessing the same table I can't access the data manipulated by the
> script.  I don't know if it has anything to do with tablespaces or
> what, but I'm really starting to get frustrated.
>
> I'm from a MySQL background and I'm completely stumped as to how
> you can, through a script, insert data into a database *created at
> the console* and not be able to select that data from the console.
> I know it's there taking up space on my machine, and I can select
> it from the script, but I can't manipulate it in any way outside of
> that.
>
> Any thoughts?

Something I just noticed is that when I run the script:

#!/usr/bin/python

# import pgdb module
import pgdb

# connect to the db
db = pgdb.connect(host="localhost", database="test", user="postgres",
password="*********")

# instantiate cursor
cursor = db.cursor()

# insert 10 records
for x in range(10):
    cursor.execute("INSERT INTO users (username, firstname, lastname,
email, age) VALUES ('bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31)")

# retrieve the data
cursor.execute("SELECT * FROM users")
result = cursor.fetchall()

# print data to the screen
for line in result:
    print line

I end up seeing only ten records printed to the screen, when I should
see 10, 20, 30, etc. every time I run the script.  The serial column
(userId) is incrementing but I'm not seeing any more that 10 results
from the select query.

- From the console:
test=# select * from users;
 userid | username | firstname | lastname | email | age
- --------+----------+-----------+----------+-------+-----
(0 rows)

Output from the script above:
bfitzsimmons@epsilon:~/test$ ./postgresql_test.py
[200313, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200314, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200315, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200316, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200317, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200318, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200319, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200320, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200321, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]
[200322, 'bfitzsimmons', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31]

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Brant Fitzsimmons
Дата:

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Brant Fitzsimmons
Дата:

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Wednesday 17 January 2007 03:06, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> > Please attach a snippet of your python script and lets see what are
> >  you doing there. That might make things easy. Jas
>
> Here is the entire test script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> # import pgdb module
> import pgdb
>
> # connect to the db
> db = pgdb.connect(host="localhost", database="test", user="postgres",
> password="**********")
>
> # instantiate cursor
> cursor = db.cursor()
>
> # insert 10 records
> for x in range(10):
>     cursor.execute("INSERT INTO users (username, firstname, lastname,
> email, age) VALUES ('brant', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
> 'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31)")

Put in a db.commit() statement here.  Does that fix your problem?

> # retrieve the data
> cursor.execute("SELECT * FROM users")
> result = cursor.fetchall()
>
> # print data to the screen
> for line in result:
>     print line

Re: I'm very confused.

От
"Jasbinder Singh Bali"
Дата:
This is what your table creation script is like for table 'users' that
doesn't have any field named 'age'

>I created a table from the prompt using: create table users (userID
>serial, userName varchar(32), firstName varchar(32), lastName
>varchar(64), email varchar(128));

Now when you are inserting the values in this table using your python
script, it says something like

> cursor.execute("INSERT INTO users (username, firstname, lastname,
>email, age) VALUES ('brant', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
>'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31)")

Field 'age' doesn't exist atall in table 'users' and hence the
transaction would not commit.

Thanks,
~Jas

On 1/17/07, Brant Fitzsimmons <brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Brant Fitzsimmons
Дата:

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Wednesday 17 January 2007 09:54, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
> >>
> >> Here is the entire test script:
> >>
> >> #!/usr/bin/python
> >>
> >> # import pgdb module import pgdb
> >>
> >> # connect to the db db = pgdb.connect(host="localhost",
> >> database="test", user="postgres", password="**********")
> >>
> >> # instantiate cursor cursor = db.cursor()
> >>
> >> # insert 10 records for x in range(10): cursor.execute("INSERT
> >> INTO users (username, firstname, lastname, email, age) VALUES
> >> ('brant', 'Brant', 'Fitzsimmons',
> >> 'brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com', 31)")
> >
> > Put in a db.commit() statement here.  Does that fix your problem?
>
> It sure does.  Any idea why it would drive up the serial column even
> though nothing was committed?

Great to hear....

A serial column is a macro to make a sequence and then to fill the column with
the default "next_val" from the sequence.  The mere selection of next_val
increases the sequence, which is necessary to ensure that all connections get
a unique value when selecting from the same sequence.

Sean

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Brant Fitzsimmons
Дата:

Sean Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 09:54, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
>> Sean Davis wrote:

>>> Put in a db.commit() statement here.  Does that fix your
>>> problem?
>> It sure does.  Any idea why it would drive up the serial column
>> even though nothing was committed?
>
> Great to hear....
>
> A serial column is a macro to make a sequence and then to fill the
> column with the default "next_val" from the sequence.  The mere
> selection of next_val increases the sequence, which is necessary to
> ensure that all connections get a unique value when selecting from
> the same sequence.
>
> Sean

I see.

Thanks for your help and thanks to everyone who contributed ideas.
The quick response was unexpected and very encouraging.

- --
Brant Fitzsimmons
brant@bfcomputerconsulting.com
"Strange times are these in which we live when the old and the
young are taught falsehoods in the schools of learning. And the one
man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and
a fool."
                            -Plato

Re: I'm very confused.

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
Please consider the archives when choosing a Subject line.

--
You have no chance to survive make your time.