Обсуждение: GIS and postgresql

GIS and postgresql

От
Randy Long
Дата:
Hi all. This is my first post after being on the mailing list for a while. I
use GIS a lot and have been tinkering with Personal GEODB(ESRI ARCGIS 9.1).
I am taking a class next semster on ESRI's Spatial Database Engine(SDE) on
Windows SQL SERVER and am trying to lear a lot more on Enterprise GEODB. I
have read that POSTGRESQL is prolly the best Open Source DB for Spatial DB.
I looked at the books list on the site, and I can't seem to find any books
or literature on topic of POST and GEODB. I am patiently looking through the
archives and am finding nothing. If anyone could point me in the right
direction, that would be much appreciated.

TIA,

Randy Long
GIS/CAD Technician
Mackay and Somps
1771 Tribute Rd. Ste. E
Sacramento, CA 95815
916-929-6092

Re: GIS and postgresql

Дата:
Randy Long <rlong@msce.com> writes:
> I looked at the books list on the site, and I can't seem to find any books
> or literature on topic of POST and GEODB. I am patiently looking through the
> archives and am finding nothing. If anyone could point me in the right
> direction, that would be much appreciated.

The core Postgres community doesn't really know anything about GIS.  The
folks you want to contact are the PostGIS people --- see
http://www.postgis.org/ and join their mail lists.

            regards, tom lane

Re: GIS and postgresql

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 08:24:47AM -0800, Randy Long wrote:
> Hi all. This is my first post after being on the mailing list for a while. I
> use GIS a lot and have been tinkering with Personal GEODB(ESRI ARCGIS 9.1).
> I am taking a class next semster on ESRI's Spatial Database Engine(SDE) on
> Windows SQL SERVER and am trying to lear a lot more on Enterprise GEODB. I
> have read that POSTGRESQL is prolly the best Open Source DB for Spatial DB.
> I looked at the books list on the site, and I can't seem to find any books
> or literature on topic of POST and GEODB. I am patiently looking through the
> archives and am finding nothing. If anyone could point me in the right
> direction, that would be much appreciated.

Check out PostGIS, an add-on module for PostgreSQL.  I'd recommend
subscribing to their mailing lists if you're going to use it.

http://postgis.refractions.net/

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: GIS and postgresql

От
Oleg
Дата:
I can suggest you a GIS viewer that works with
PostGIS:http://www.jump-project.org/project.php?PID=JUMP&SID=DOWN

Regards
Oleg