Обсуждение: Postgresql v 8.0.1-3 problems

Postgresql v 8.0.1-3 problems

От
Miguel
Дата:
I have used Postgresql v.7.3 under Fedora  v.1.0
working fine all the time but after I have  made
upgrade to Fedora 4,  when  I  try init my  postgresql
using the command line :
service postgresql start
I couldn't start my database, an error message appears
as follow :

> Was an old version of the format of the data base.
It needs to update the data format before using
PostgreSQL.  To
see/usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.3/README.rpm-dist for
more information.

Please I hope for help to me . Thanks

Correo Yahoo!

Re: Postgresql v 8.0.1-3 problems

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Miguel wrote:

> I have used Postgresql v.7.3 under Fedora  v.1.0
> working fine all the time but after I have  made
> upgrade to Fedora 4,  when  I  try init my  postgresql
> using the command line :
> service postgresql start
> I couldn't start my database, an error message appears
> as follow :
>
>> Was an old version of the format of the data base.
> It needs to update the data format before using
> PostgreSQL.  To
> see/usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.3/README.rpm-dist for
> more information.

It seems that you've run rpm -U during upgrade :( For major versions (and
for some minor versions) you need to re-initdb the data cluster.

Now you have to install the old version again and take a dump before
upgrade. Follow this document for a major version RPM upgrade:

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000048/98/PostgreSQL-RPM-Installation-PGDG.pdf

It is safe to remove the existing RPMs since they don't remove database
cluster (but backup is everything :-) )Then install the old version again.

Re: Postgresql v 8.0.1-3 problems

От
Дата:
--- Miguel <migabolinux@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have used Postgresql v.7.3 under Fedora  v.1.0
> working fine all the time but after I have  made
> upgrade to Fedora 4,  when  I  try init my
> postgresql
> using the command line :
> service postgresql start
> I couldn't start my database, an error message
> appears
> as follow :
>
> > Was an old version of the format of the data base.
>
> It needs to update the data format before using
> PostgreSQL.  To
> see/usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.3/README.rpm-dist
> for
> more information.
>
> Please I hope for help to me . Thanks

Miguel, it sounds like pgsql was updated between FC1
and FC4.

as i understand it, the proper way to do this is to
dump the db under 7.3 and then restore it to 8.0.3.

based on the error message, it doesn't seem you can
just update the db without updating the data format
via dump/retore.