Обсуждение: First Install

First Install

От
"Williams, Rodger"
Дата:
Q1
Is there another way to create the first DB after a fresh install?
I used the createdb executable.
I read that this is a wrapper for executing create database sql command.
If I don't want to use the executable wrapper to create the first DB
after a fresh install, how do I create the first DB without using
pgAdmin? i.e How do I create the first user, first tablespace and first
DB?
I can't login via psql because there is no database to log into after a
fresh install.

Q2
After I installed PostgreSQL 8.0.3, I Logged in via pgAdmin as db user
postgres.
With pgAdmin tool, I created a user, tablespace and database.
Installed a third party software app that uses the newly created
database.
Installation failed.
I edited postgresql.conf (changed listen_adddress) and edited pg_hba
(added trust entry).
Reinstalled software application to use newly created database, which
now works fine.
Database still runs.
I just can't login via pgAdmin anymore.
I get an error "fe_sendauth: no password supplied".
Previously it would give me an opertunity to enter the postgres user
password. Now it does not.

From
Rodger

Re: First Install

От
"Kevin Crenshaw"
Дата:
Rodger,

and the database 'template1' automatically after installation.  You should
be able to execute this command to log in:  psql -U postgres -d template1
After you have logged in, you can type:  'create database dbname;'
That will create a new database for you.

Sorry, but I can't help you with your second question.

HTH,

Kevin

[...]

Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:52 +0200, Williams, Rodger wrote:
> Q1

already answered

> Q2
> After I installed PostgreSQL 8.0.3, I Logged in via pgAdmin as db user
> postgres.
> With pgAdmin tool, I created a user, tablespace and database.
> Installed a third party software app that uses the newly created
> database.
> Installation failed.
> I edited postgresql.conf (changed listen_adddress) and edited pg_hba
> (added trust entry).
> Reinstalled software application to use newly created database, which
> now works fine.
> Database still runs.
> I just can't login via pgAdmin anymore.
> I get an error "fe_sendauth: no password supplied".
> Previously it would give me an opertunity to enter the postgres user
> password. Now it does not.

Show us your pg_hba.conf.

You should also say what parameters you are using to connect in PgAdmin
and in your new application (user, hostname, database).

The best solution is probably to restore pg_hba.conf as it was and then
add a database-specific line for the new application.

   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html

Re: First Install

От
Дата:
"Williams, Rodger" <Rodger.Williams@bdsol.co.za>
wrote:

> Q1
> Is there another way to create the first DB after a
> fresh install?
> I used the createdb executable.
> I read that this is a wrapper for executing create
> database sql command.
> If I don't want to use the executable wrapper to
> create the first DB
> after a fresh install, how do I create the first DB
> without using
> pgAdmin? i.e How do I create the first user, first
> tablespace and first
> DB?
> I can't login via psql because there is no database
> to log into after a
> fresh install.

i think the end of this tutorial should provide
detailed guidance...

http://viu.eng.rpi.edu/lab/1/s1_1.html

__________________________________
Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one
click.
http://farechase.yahoo.com

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: First Install

От
"Williams, Rodger"
Дата:
Q2
Restored original postgresql.conf file and pg_hba.conf file.
Restarted service.
Same error when trying to access database via pgAdmin.
Any ideas?
The error I am getting is "fe_sendauth: no password supplied" when I
launch pgAdmin.
I get no errors when logging on with psql.

[...]

Дата:
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:02 +0200, Williams, Rodger wrote:
> Q2
> Restored original postgresql.conf file and pg_hba.conf file.
> Restarted service.
> Same error when trying to access database via pgAdmin.
> Any ideas?
> The error I am getting is "fe_sendauth: no password supplied" when I
> launch pgAdmin.
> I get no errors when logging on with psql.

What does pg_hba.conf contain?

What parameters (user, host, database) are you using to connect from
pgAdmin and from psql?

Which version of PostgreSQL is it?

Oliver Elphick

Re: First Install

От
"Williams, Rodger"
Дата:
Problem solved.

Changed md5 to trust.

Restarted service.

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:02 +0200, Williams, Rodger wrote:
> Q2
> Restored original postgresql.conf file and pg_hba.conf file.
> Restarted service.
> Same error when trying to access database via pgAdmin.
> Any ideas?
> The error I am getting is "fe_sendauth: no password supplied" when I
> launch pgAdmin.
> I get no errors when logging on with psql.

What does pg_hba.conf contain?

What parameters (user, host, database) are you using to connect from
pgAdmin and from psql?

Which version of PostgreSQL is it?

Oliver Elphick

Re: First Install

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:01 +0200, Williams, Rodger wrote:
> Problem solved.
>
> Changed md5 to trust.
>
> Restarted service.

Abandoned all security...

Re: First Install

От
Дата:
--- Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:01 +0200, Williams, Rodger
> wrote:
> > Problem solved.
> >
> > Changed md5 to trust.
> >
> > Restarted service.
>
> Abandoned all security...

if this is purely a dev box, maybe this isn't so
important (i think my dev box is probably a sink hole
at the moment -lol-).

however, i'm now curious what Rodger could do to keep
md5 enabled and still access via pgadmin.  iow, how to
keep the security and still access through pgadmin.

any ideas?

tia...

http://mail.yahoo.com