Обсуждение: Converting value to array

Converting value to array

От
"Sean Davis"
Дата:
I have a column in my table block_sizes(varchar) that looks like:

12,23,
234,23,
78,64,28,

i.e., comma-separated integer values (and the included trailing comma).  I would like to convert these each to an array and store in another column.  However, I haven't been able to get this to work.  I have tried things like:

array[rtrim(block_sizes,',')]
'''' || '{' || rtrim(block_sizes,',') || '}' || ''''::int[]
'{' || rtrim(block_sizes,',') || '}'

as expressions in an update to the new column (declared as int[]).  However, it seems as if the result of the rtrim is treated differently than the same expression entered directly.  Can someone enlighten me as to how to make this conversion?

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Converting value to array

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:12:09AM -0500, Sean Davis wrote:

> I have a column in my table block_sizes(varchar) that looks like:
>
> 12,23,
> 234,23,
> 78,64,28,
>
> i.e., comma-separated integer values (and the included trailing comma).
> I would like to convert these each to an array and store in another
> column.

Have you tried string_to_array()?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-array.html

CREATE TABLE foo (
    strcol    text,
    arraycol  integer[]
);

INSERT INTO foo (strcol) VALUES ('12,23,');
INSERT INTO foo (strcol) VALUES ('234,23,');
INSERT INTO foo (strcol) VALUES ('78,64,28,');

UPDATE foo SET arraycol = string_to_array(rtrim(strcol, ','), ',')::integer[];

SELECT * FROM foo;
  strcol   |  arraycol
-----------+------------
 12,23,    | {12,23}
 234,23,   | {234,23}
 78,64,28, | {78,64,28}
(3 rows)

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Converting value to array

Дата:
"Sean Davis" <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> writes:
> I have a column in my table block_sizes(varchar) that looks like:

> 12,23,
> 234,23,
> 78,64,28,

> i.e., comma-separated integer values (and the included trailing comma).  =
> I would like to convert these each to an array and store in another =
> column.

> '{' || rtrim(block_sizes,',') || '}'

That is one correct way to compute the external textual representation
of the array you want.  The trick is to get it fed to the array datatype
input converter.  The main SQL parser is pretty strongly typed and I'm
not sure there is any way to get it to make that conversion.  However
several of the PLs are pretty lax about cross-type conversions; in
particular you could do this in plpgsql.  Untested, but

    create function block_sizes_to_array(varchar) returns int[] as '
    declare x int[];
    begin
    return x;
    end' language plpgsql;

should work well enough.  plpgsql will observe that the text result it
got from the expression is not the right type to assign to the int[]
variable x, and will deal with this by converting to external textual
form (a no-op for the text side) and back again.

            regards, tom lane