Обсуждение: Help with subselect (first time)

Help with subselect (first time)

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
I will guess in advance that I'm missing something obvious, but I
*think* I need a subselect here and I've never done those. So if anyone
has a comment that will point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate
it. The short version is that I am trying to create a summary table by
month, and for all but one criterion I've done it. This is my first
select query:

   select to_char(date, 'YYYY-MM') as month, sum(hrs_dual) as hrs_dual,
   sum(hrs_pic) as hrs_pic, sum(hrs_night) as hrs_night, sum(hrs_ifrsim)
   as hrs_ifrsim, sum(hrs_ifract) as hrs_ifract, sum(apps_ifrsim) as
   apps_ifrsim, sum(apps_ifract) as apps_ifract, sum(hrs_total) as
   hrs_total from flights group by month order by month asc;

If that's a pain to read, it could be simplified to:

   select to_char(date, 'YYYY-MM') as month, sum(hrs_total) as hrs_total
   from flights group by month order by month asc;

This query allows me to get my total monthly flights as pilot-in-
command, at night, and by other criteria which are stored as columns in
the flights table. However, I have one criterion which depends on
another table, and that is multi-engine time. This can be found via the
following select query:

   simpatic_logbook=> select to_char(date, 'YYYY-MM') as month,
   sum(hrs_total) from flights,aircraft where
   flights.callsign=aircraft.callsign and aircraft.engines=2
   group by month order by month asc;

I then have two questions:

   1. How do I (or even *can* I) integrate the second query into the
first as a subselect? Each individual flight can only be made in one
aircraft (I have to land to get off!), so hrs_total is all I need from
flights, and I just have to check whether that aircraft's callsign is
listed in the aircraft table as having engines=2.

   2. Not all months have multi-engine time... will these months show up
in the subselect with a zero or give an error?

   3. I still find the subselect syntax confusing; I will continue to
read the docs to get my head around it, though.

Thanks for any pointers... I'll keep playing on this end.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

Upgraded to 8.0.1: Initdb troubles

От
Mike
Hi Group:

I do apologize ahead of time.
I have been reading through many gentoo posts addressing initdb
problems with postgresql, but I cannot seem to figure out the problem
on my own following along with the documentation and forum posts. I'm
going around in circles uninstalling/re-installing.

I removed Postgresql 7.4.6 and installed Postgresql ver. 8.0.1
I am using Gentoo Linux.

1. /etc/conf.d/postgresql says --

PGDATA=/var/lib/postgresql/data
PGLOG=/var/lib/postgresql/data/postgresql.log
PGUSER=postgres

2. I checked to make sure that /var/lib/postgresql/data is owned by
postgres, and it is ---

Under /var/lib, ls -al shows:
drwxr-xr-x 3 postgres postgres 136 Jan 30 23:14 postgresql

3. I su postgres from root and set the PGDATA variable, but it all
goes wrong from there. Here's the feedback I get when I try to
complete the post-installation configuration:

bash-2.05b# su postgres
bash-2.05b$ export PGDATA=/var/lib/postgresql/data
bash-2.05b$ echo $PGDATA
/var/lib/postgresql/data
bash-2.05b$ initdb
could not change directory to "/home/floog"
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

initdb: directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" exists but is not empty
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" or run initdb
with an argument other than "/var/lib/postgresql/data".
bash-2.05b$ whoami
postgres
bash-2.05b$

I cannot figure out why Postgresql wants to change to the /home/floog
directory, and I do not understand why Postgresql needs an empty
directory. I have tried in the past to create an empty directory in
/usr/local/postgres , but then when I do initdb there, Postgres
automatically creates the same files that were in
/var/lib/postgresql/data , and then simply complains again that the
directory I've specified is not empty.

In a last-ditch effort I tried doing the ebuild config again --

bash-2.05b# ebuild
/var/db/pkg/dev-db/postgresql-8.0.1/postgresql-8.0.1.ebuild config
* Creating the data directory ...
* Initializing the database ...
* Postgres 8.0.1 cannot upgrade your existing databases.
* You must remove your entire database directory to continue.
* (database directory = /var/lib/postgresql).
- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -- -

I figure, I'll do as Gentoo tells me --

bash-2.05b# rm -rf /var/lib/postgresql

Now try the ebuild config again --

bash-2.05b# ebuild
/var/db/pkg/dev-db/postgresql-8.0.1/postgresql-8.0.1.ebuild config
* Creating the data directory ...
* Initializing the database ...
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/postgresql/data ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/global ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/base ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory /var/lib/postgresql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 1000
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /var/lib/postgresql/data/base/1 ... ok
initializing pg_shadow ... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables ... ok
initializing pg_depend ... ok
creating system views ... ok
creating conversions ... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects ... ok
creating information schema ... ok
vacuuming database template1 ... ok
copying template1 to template0 ... ok

WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the -A option the
next time you run initdb.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

/etc/init.d/postgresql start

bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/postgresql start
* WARNING: "postgresql" has already been started.
bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
* Restarting PostgreSQL...
pg_ctl: PID file "/var/lib/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid" does not exist
Is postmaster running?
starting postmaster anyway [ ok ]
bash-2.05b#

So after restarting postgresql, it complains about this missing .pid
file and I've seen that problem before. But what the hell I try to do
initdb again and it's still a mess --

bash-2.05b$ initdb
could not change directory to "/home/floog"
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

initdb: directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" exists but is not empty
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" or run initdb
with an argument other than "/var/lib/postgresql/data".

Well things can't get any worse, so I figured I'd try to see if I
could make a database --

bash-2.05b$ createdb mytestdb
could not change directory to "/home/floog"
CREATE DATABASE
bash-2.05b$

Supposedly the test database was created but Postgres still wants to
use my /home/floog directory for some reason.

As Charlie Brown would say --- Ugghh.

I'm hoping someone can see what I'm doing wrong.
Thankyou for reading such a long post.

Mike

Re: Help with subselect (first time)

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 13:04 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> I will guess in advance that I'm missing something obvious, but I
> *think* I need a subselect here and I've never done those.

Following up on this thread, I've decided that it's impossible to use a
subselect for this purpose. Wrong tool. Now investigating joins...

For simplicity's sake's, let's say I have a query which returns this:

|   month   | days |
|-----------|------|
|  2005-01  |  31  |
|-----------|------|
|  2005-02  |  28  |
|-----------|------|
|  2005-03  |  31  |
|-----------|------|

And I have a second query which returns this:

|   month   | flts |
|-----------|------|
|  2005-01  |  11  |
|-----------|------|
|  2005-03  |   8  |
|-----------|------|

Is there a simple way to join those two result sets into one? What I'd
like to have is this:

|   month   | days | flts |
|-----------|------|------|
|  2005-01  |  31  |  11  |
|-----------|------|------|
|  2005-02  |  28  |   0  |
|-----------|------|------|
|  2005-03  |  31  |   8  |
|-----------|------|------|

Since I'm not always able to fly every month, the "flts" result set will
not have data for every month. In that case, I'd like to show a zero
value as shown above.

Can someone point me to the right part of the manual to read? Thanks!

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

Re: Help with subselect (first time)

От
"Sean Davis"
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 13:04 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>> I will guess in advance that I'm missing something obvious, but I
>> *think* I need a subselect here and I've never done those.
>
> Following up on this thread, I've decided that it's impossible to use a
> subselect for this purpose. Wrong tool. Now investigating joins...
>
> For simplicity's sake's, let's say I have a query which returns this:
>
> |   month   | days |
> |-----------|------|
> |  2005-01  |  31  |
> |-----------|------|
> |  2005-02  |  28  |
> |-----------|------|
> |  2005-03  |  31  |
> |-----------|------|
>
> And I have a second query which returns this:
>
> |   month   | flts |
> |-----------|------|
> |  2005-01  |  11  |
> |-----------|------|
> |  2005-03  |   8  |
> |-----------|------|
>
> Is there a simple way to join those two result sets into one? What I'd
> like to have is this:
>
> |   month   | days | flts |
> |-----------|------|------|
> |  2005-01  |  31  |  11  |
> |-----------|------|------|
> |  2005-02  |  28  |   0  |
> |-----------|------|------|
> |  2005-03  |  31  |   8  |
> |-----------|------|------|

Rodolfo,

If these are two tables, called A and B, then doing:

select B.month,days,flts from A,B where A.month=B.month;

will give you your table.  If you need all "months", then using:

select B.month,days,flts from B left outer join A on A.month=B.month;

However, I doubt that the two outputs you show above are tables, so the two
queries here may not be what you want.

As for SQL, there are numerous websites (do a google search for SQL
tutorial) to learn how to do joins as well as many books, several of which
are online.  The postgresql documentation has a tutorial section that
includes links to a couple of books.

Sean

Re: Help with subselect (first time)

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 20:43 -0500, Sean Davis wrote:
> If these are two tables, called A and B, then doing:
>
> select B.month,days,flts from A,B where A.month=B.month;
>
> will give you your table.  If you need all "months", then using:
>
> select B.month,days,flts from B left outer join A on A.month=B.month;

The two "tables" shown above are result sets to which I have a handle.
It is my understanding that I can treat them as tables (albeit temporary
ones) until they are released. Is that understanding incorrect?

Getting all the months listed is *exactly* what I want. I'll try your
query a bit later, thanks.

> As for SQL, there are numerous websites (do a google search for SQL
> tutorial) to learn how to do joins as well as many books, several of which
> are online.  The postgresql documentation has a tutorial section that
> includes links to a couple of books.

Yup, still working through so much documentation it makes my head spin.
I've been reading a good hour a day, and a couple of times substantially
more than that, since I started this little HTML/PHP/PEAR/PGSQL project.

That's why I usually include a phrase like "answers or pointers to
relevent docs welcome". Sometimes I haven't yet gotten to the point of
knowing which doc to read. Then a URL does wonders for me... RTFM is so
much easier when you find the FM. :-)

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

OLE DB

От
Jorge Pérez
Дата:
Has any one worked with OLE DB? I will appreciate if some one can copy
me a functional OLE DB Connectin String.

Best regards,

Jorge Perez

Re: Help with subselect (first time)

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 21:40:29 -0600,
  "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@simpaticus.com> wrote:

> The two "tables" shown above are result sets to which I have a handle.
> It is my understanding that I can treat them as tables (albeit temporary
> ones) until they are released. Is that understanding incorrect?

Elements of a from item list can be selects. You just put the select query
inside parenthesis and use an AS clause to give an alias.
Something like:
SELECT tb.a FROM (SELECT a FROM ta) AS tb;