Обсуждение: Transaction speed

Transaction speed

От
"Derrick Betts"
Дата:
I have the following situation:

Test database inside our network, accessed with pgAdminIII.
    When I INSERT records into a table (3000-5000 in one transaction) it takes between 2.5 - 5 seconds.  No worries there.

Production database that is hosted remotely, accessed with pgAdminIII.
    When I INSERT records into a table (only 500 or so) it never completes (I've waited for 30 minutes before).  It will take a transaction of up to 200 statements, but it takes 3-5 minutes.

Has anyone seen this situation before, and have a reason as to why this may be happening?  Is there something that needs to change on the production server?  Is it a tcpip latency issue that breaks the connection? (I'm guessing now)

Thanks in advance,
Derrick

Re: Transaction speed

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Derrick,

> Production database that is hosted remotely, accessed with pgAdminIII.
>     When I INSERT records into a table (only 500 or so) it never completes
> (I've waited for 30 minutes before).  It will take a transaction of up to
> 200 statements, but it takes 3-5 minutes.

This has got to be something about how pgAdmin handles batch inserts.   I
suggest trying the pgAdmin mailing list.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions