Обсуждение: easy backup?

easy backup?

От
Nabil Sayegh
Дата:
Hi all,

as we all know one has to pg_dump a db before backuping it.
But wouldn't it be possible to create a "named pipe" (mknod) that, on read access, starts pg_dump
and returns its output?
That way we wouldn't have to teach each (remote) backup how to dump the db.

[ ] bad idea
[ ] good idea
[ ] idiot

rgds
--
  e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
  Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539

Re: easy backup?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Nabil,

> as we all know one has to pg_dump a db before backuping it.
> But wouldn't it be possible to create a "named pipe" (mknod) that, on read
> access, starts pg_dump and returns its output?
> That way we wouldn't have to teach each (remote) backup how to dump the db.
>
> [ ] bad idea
> [ ] good idea
> [ ] idiot
[X] confusing us

I really don't understand what you're proposing.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: easy backup?

От
root
Дата:
On Saturday 21 February 2004 16:22, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as we all know one has to pg_dump a db before backuping it.
> But wouldn't it be possible to create a "named pipe" (mknod) that, on read
> access, starts pg_dump and returns its output?
> That way we wouldn't have to teach each (remote) backup how to dump the db.
>
> [ ] bad idea
> [ ] good idea
> [ ] idiot
> [x] doit
>
> rgds

This is a bugfree broadcast to you from a linux system.