Обсуждение: Getting Started!?

Getting Started!?

От
"Marjee Kangas"
Дата:
I am new to all things SQL (Also new to linux...) and have heard I should
check out PostgreSQL.  Any suggestions on where I can get some quick start
material that will help me get the general idea of pgsql, how to set up
etc.?  I've got the software downloaded.... Just need to get started and
don't want to learn everything the hard way!

Re: Getting Started!?

От
"Bryan Encina"
Дата:
Don't have any installation links on hand, but here's stuff I'd recommend
looking at:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#1.10

Performance tuning stuff
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/pgsqldbtuning.php
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/

Also, although not necessarily postgres specific, you might want to check
out the book An Introduction to Database Systems by CJ Date.  It's a bit
pricy though.
-Bryan Encina

Re: Getting Started!?

От
"paul butler"
Bruce Momijan's online book is a pretty good bet in my opinion

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/index.html
for setting up:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/

Good books are always good value:
The practical sql handbook -Bowman/Emerson/Darnovsky
Linux administration -Stevie Shah