Обсуждение: Visual Database Design Tools

Visual Database Design Tools

От
Ben Statham
Дата:
Hi there,

As a complete Novice, I'm looking for a visual design tool for Databases
to use with PostgreSQL.
Currently all of our development is done in Flemaker Pro, so I'm looking
for a tool to ease my developers
into SQL without jolting their world too much.

Any info gratefully received.

Ben

Ben Statham
MIS Manager
Academic Colleges Group

Re: Visual Database Design Tools

От
Andrew McMillan
Дата:
On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 15:54, Ben Statham wrote:

> As a complete Novice, I'm looking for a visual design tool for Databases
> to use with PostgreSQL.
> Currently all of our development is done in Flemaker Pro, so I'm looking
> for a tool to ease my developers
> into SQL without jolting their world too much.
>
> Any info gratefully received.

I haven't used Filemaker Pro, so have no idea what the interface looks
like.

Have you looked into pgaccess at all?  This gives a certain amount of
basic GUI interface to PostgreSQL.  If you are using Windows then
several other things can deal to the database with ODBC and so might
also allow the sort of interface you are used to.

We have recently been looking for a somewhat more high-end ER/BP
modelling tool ourselves for managing database designs.  A reasonable
interface to PostgreSQL has been one of the harder requirements to meet,
but I think we have found one that did, which unfortunately didn't meet
our other requirements - we haven't bought anything yet.

Regards,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267

Re: Visual Database Design Tools

От
Bryan Buchanan
Дата:
Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 15:54, Ben Statham wrote:
> >
> > As a complete Novice, I'm looking for a visual design tool for Databases
> > to use with PostgreSQL.
> > Currently all of our development is done in Flemaker Pro, so I'm looking
> > for a tool to ease my developers
> > into SQL without jolting their world too much.
> >
> > Any info gratefully received.
>
> I haven't used Filemaker Pro, so have no idea what the interface looks
> like.
>
> Have you looked into pgaccess at all?  This gives a certain amount of
> basic GUI interface to PostgreSQL.  If you are using Windows then
> several other things can deal to the database with ODBC and so might
> also allow the sort of interface you are used to.
>
> We have recently been looking for a somewhat more high-end ER/BP
> modelling tool ourselves for managing database designs.  A reasonable
> interface to PostgreSQL has been one of the harder requirements to meet,
> but I think we have found one that did, which unfortunately didn't meet
> our other requirements - we haven't bought anything yet.
>
> Regards,
>                                         Andrew.
> --

A good, and affordable ER tool is Dezign: http://www.datanamic.com

Bryan

Re: Visual Database Design Tools

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Andrew, Ben,

> > As a complete Novice, I'm looking for a visual design tool for
> Databases
> > to use with PostgreSQL.
> > Currently all of our development is done in Flemaker Pro, so I'm
> looking
> > for a tool to ease my developers
> > into SQL without jolting their world too much.
> >
> > Any info gratefully received.

On Windows: PgAdminII, available at http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/
On Linux/Unix: PgAccess, which installs with most PostgreSQL RPMs

However, keep in mind that you will need a seperate interface design
tool and language.  PostgreSQL is just the back-end, and while PgAccess
does have a TCL forms designer, it is neither complete nore stable.

If you are on Windows or Linux, and have a little cash, I reccomend one
of the following IDEs:

Java: JBuilder by Borland or Forte For Java by Sun
Best VB/MS Access Substitute: Kylix + Delphi, by Borland

You can also use Filemaker as the front-end to your PostgreSQL database
as of version 5.5

> We have recently been looking for a somewhat more high-end ER/BP
> modelling tool ourselves for managing database designs.  A reasonable
> interface to PostgreSQL has been one of the harder requirements to
> meet,
> but I think we have found one that did, which unfortunately didn't
> meet
> our other requirements - we haven't bought anything yet.

You might contact Action Target, Inc.  Their WyattERP PostgreSQL-based
CRM-building and modelling toolkit recently went commercial.  I don't
know whether or not the product is limited to CRM databases, though.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: Visual Database Design Tools

От
"postgresql"
Дата:
Filemaker Pro? Are you running macs or windows. I had started
prototyping a project for a client using Realbasic on the Mac. As an
experiment I tried out the postgresql tools from RB. I have never
found anything so easy. I created a complete job tracking system
over a weekend.

There are a lot of tools out there.

Ted