Обсуждение: Set application name from jdbc url

Set application name from jdbc url

От
Stéphan BEUZE
Дата:
Hi,

I want to set the application name of the connections of my application.
Then I can list the rows in `pg_stat_activity` with a non empty
`application_name` column.

I have setup the following JDBC url for connecting to my Postgresql
database:

     jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5435/MyDB?application-name=MyApp

I have tried also this url with no more success.

     jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5435/MyDB?application_name=MyApp

I also tried these two variant of application name parameter :
*applicationName* and *ApplicationName* with no luck.

What is the correct parameter name ?

Here is my JDBC driver version:  **9.1-901.jdbc4**
I try to connect a Postgresql server : 9.2.4 - 64bit - running on Windows 7

Stephan

Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
> What is the correct parameter name ?

Try "ApplicationName" [1]. Also, you can set it on the Connection
object after creation via the JDBC standard setClientInfo(...)
method[2].

[1]: https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/master/org/postgresql/core/v3/ConnectionFactoryImpl.java#L639
[2]:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/Connection.html#setClientInfo%28java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String%29

-S

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Stéphan BEUZE
Дата:
The solution from [2] works like a charm.

However, the solution from [1] doesn't work :\

I have set up a database connection from the Datasource explorer in Eclipse,
with the following JDBC url:

        jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5435/REC?ApplicationName=ZOZOZOZ

 From pgAdmin III, here are the results of the following query : select
pid, application_name from pg_stat_activity

9212;""
6396;""
4628;"psql"
6796;"pgAdmin III - Navigateur"

The results of the same query running from psql:

  pid  |          application_name
------+-------------------------------------
  9212 |
  6396 |
  4628 | psql
  6796 | pgAdmin III - Navigateur

I have tried to set up a connection manually and I get the same similar
results: ZOZOZOZ seems to be an unknown application name.

Le 17/10/2013 15:44, Sehrope Sarkuni a écrit :
>> What is the correct parameter name ?
> Try "ApplicationName" [1]. Also, you can set it on the Connection
> object after creation via the JDBC standard setClientInfo(...)
> method[2].
>
> [1]: https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/master/org/postgresql/core/v3/ConnectionFactoryImpl.java#L639
> [2]:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/Connection.html#setClientInfo%28java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String%29

> -S

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
Try it with the latest version of the JDBC driver (currently
9.2-1003-jdbc4). Maybe your older driver is causing the issue (above
says you're using v9.1-904).

I'm able to test setting the client name and verify it via
pg_stat_activity using the latest driver connecting to 9.1, 9.2, and
9.3. I tried it via a URL property, setClientInfo(...), and explicitly
setting a java.util.Property value and all three worked fine.

-S

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Stéphan BEUZE
<stephan.beuze@douane.finances.gouv.fr> wrote:
> The solution from [2] works like a charm.
>
> However, the solution from [1] doesn't work :\
>
> I have set up a database connection from the Datasource explorer in Eclipse,
> with the following JDBC url:
>
>        jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5435/REC?ApplicationName=ZOZOZOZ
>
> From pgAdmin III, here are the results of the following query : select pid,
> application_name from pg_stat_activity
>
> 9212;""
> 6396;""
> 4628;"psql"
> 6796;"pgAdmin III - Navigateur"
>
> The results of the same query running from psql:
>
>  pid  |          application_name
> ------+-------------------------------------
>  9212 |
>  6396 |
>  4628 | psql
>  6796 | pgAdmin III - Navigateur
>
> I have tried to set up a connection manually and I get the same similar
> results: ZOZOZOZ seems to be an unknown application name.
>
> Le 17/10/2013 15:44, Sehrope Sarkuni a écrit :
>
>>> What is the correct parameter name ?
>>
>> Try "ApplicationName" [1]. Also, you can set it on the Connection
>> object after creation via the JDBC standard setClientInfo(...)
>> method[2].
>>
>> [1]:
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/master/org/postgresql/core/v3/ConnectionFactoryImpl.java#L639
>> [2]:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/Connection.html#setClientInfo%28java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String%29

>> -S

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Stéphan BEUZE
Дата:
Try it with the latest version of the JDBC driver (currently
9.2-1003-jdbc4).
I use maven and I have found the driver here http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.postgresql/postgresql/9.2-1003-jdbc4.

Some of our clients may need 9.2-1003-jdbc3.

Do you know of any maven repository delivering this version ?

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
maven central

<dependency>   <groupId>org.postgresql</groupId>   <artifactId>postgresql</artifactId>   <version>VERSION</version>
</dependency>

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

Try it with the latest version of the JDBC driver (currently
9.2-1003-jdbc4).
I use maven and I have found the driver here http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.postgresql/postgresql/9.2-1003-jdbc4.

Some of our clients may need 9.2-1003-jdbc3.

Do you know of any maven repository delivering this version ?

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Stéphan BEUZE

<dependency>   <groupId>org.postgresql</groupId>   <artifactId>postgresql</artifactId>   <version>VERSION</version>
</dependency>

The version 9.2-1003-jdbc3 is not deployed on the maven central yet.

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Stephan,

Apologies, only jdbc4 is on there. I gather you require jdbc3 ?

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

<dependency>   <groupId>org.postgresql</groupId>   <artifactId>postgresql</artifactId>   <version>VERSION</version>
</dependency>

The version 9.2-1003-jdbc3 is not deployed on the maven central yet.

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Stéphan BEUZE
Дата:
Le 18/10/2013 14:59, Dave Cramer a écrit :
> Apologies, only jdbc4 is on there. I gather you require jdbc3 ?

I need this version. I quite don't understand why it is not deployed on
central like jdbc4.

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Well the project never really did use maven and I have only had requests for jdbc4 to be pushed to maven. Now I have a reason to do jdbc3

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Stéphan BEUZE <stephan.beuze@douane.finances.gouv.fr> wrote:
Le 18/10/2013 14:59, Dave Cramer a écrit :

Apologies, only jdbc4 is on there. I gather you require jdbc3 ?

I need this version. I quite don't understand why it is not deployed on central like jdbc4.

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Stéphan BEUZE
Дата:
> Well the project never really did use maven and I have only had
> requests for jdbc4 to be pushed to maven. Now I have a reason to do jdbc3

How many days do you need for pushing this version to maven ?

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Stephan,

My challenge is mostly finding a machine that I can push from and build jdbc3. Assuming those two are possible I may be able to do this next week.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Stéphan BEUZE <stephan.beuze@douane.finances.gouv.fr> wrote:

Well the project never really did use maven and I have only had requests for jdbc4 to be pushed to maven. Now I have a reason to do jdbc3

How many days do you need for pushing this version to maven ?

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Kevin Carr

I can set something up for this if need be.  I am not sure what I would need to submit to maven central but I can do that as well if I can get some instruction.

On Oct 18, 2013 9:15 AM, "Dave Cramer" <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
Stephan,

My challenge is mostly finding a machine that I can push from and build jdbc3. Assuming those two are possible I may be able to do this next week.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Stéphan BEUZE <stephan.beuze@douane.finances.gouv.fr> wrote:

Well the project never really did use maven and I have only had requests for jdbc4 to be pushed to maven. Now I have a reason to do jdbc3

How many days do you need for pushing this version to maven ?

Re: [***] Re: Set application name from jdbc url

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
OK, there is a thread on the list somewhere with instructions.

This would be awesome if you could help out

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Kevin Carr <kscarr73@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Дата:
Ok guys,

I'll have a look at Maven Central and this list for any anouncement ;)