Обсуждение: Website Redo Kick Off

Website Redo Kick Off

От
dmp
Дата:
It has been for sometime the desire to redo the website. The main goals
being:

1. Make the Site Easier To Maintain.
2. Allow Others to Contribute/Manage the Updates.

I have offered to perform the work and have done some reviewing of the
past history of the discussions on this subject. In so doing I have taken
notes on possible options and done some preliminary research in potential
solutions. A General background is in order so that I can try to direct
the feedback/discussion to the desired goals stated.

History:

The website as been in existence since the early 2000s. An update for
the site occurred in around 2004 by Kris Jurka to Apache Forest. Forest
is a scripting engine that generates static pages that are then transfered
to the web server. That current mechanism is still in place to update
the website, but Forest is no longer being maintained as a project it
seems.  Forest also does not seem to be conducive to the desire goal
#2 above. The web server host does not support CMS and it seems to be
desired to continue along the lines of a scripting engine to generate
static webpages for the redo.

Help: (Narrow Options)

* If you know of a scripting engine that is not listed below please reply.

* If you have experience with one listed please comment, seems good/not
   so good and the language used if possible.

* If you have a few minutes please consider randomly selecting one on the
   list to review so that you could let us know if it may be a good solution.

Thank you.
danap, Dana M. Proctor

Hyde:
http://hyde.github.io/

Sculpin:
http://sculpin.io/

Phrozn:
http://www.phrozn.info/en/

Bonsai:
http://tinytree.info/

Winter Smith:
http://jnordberg.github.io/wintersmith/

Pie Crust:
http://bolt80.com/piecrust/

Jekyll:
http://jekyllrb.com/

Middle Man:
http://middlemanapp.com/

Nanoc:
http://nanoc.ws/

Stasis:
http://stasis.me/

ToTo
https://github.com/cloudhead/toto

Staticmatic
https://github.com/staticmatic/staticmatic

Webgen
https://github.com/gettalong/webgen

Movable Type
http://www.movabletype.org/download.html

Pelican
http://docs.getpelican.com/en/3.2/

Re: Website Redo Kick Off

От
Florent Guillaume
Дата:
FYI Apache now uses its own "cms". This page lists the rationales and pointers to the code: http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html

Florent

#2 above. The web server host does not support CMS and it seems to be
[...]

Dave Cramer
Дата:
Interesting.

Does their CMS publish to a static site ?

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

#2 above. The web server host does not support CMS and it seems to be
[...]

Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 10.07.2013 18:54, dmp wrote:
> It has been for sometime the desire to redo the website. The main goals
> being:
>
> 1. Make the Site Easier To Maintain.
> 2. Allow Others to Contribute/Manage the Updates.
>
> I have offered to perform the work and have done some reviewing of the
> past history of the discussions on this subject.

Hooray!

> Help: (Narrow Options)
>
> * If you know of a scripting engine that is not listed below please reply.
>
> * If you have experience with one listed please comment, seems good/not
> so good and the language used if possible.
>
> * If you have a few minutes please consider randomly selecting one on the
> list to review so that you could let us know if it may be a good solution.

I don't expect very frequent updates, or very many people updating it,
so I think the most important criteria is low barrier to maintain it. It
should be easy for anyone to jump in and submit changes. It's probably
good to pick something that's popular, even if that isn't the best
alternative otherwise, just to make sure the tool is widely available in
distributions that people use and that there are people out there with
experience with it.

I reworked the ODBC driver's website recently. I just did it with plain
HTML files, stored in a git repository. That was very simple. I don't
necessarily recommend you to do it that way, but it works. If you come
up with something better, I'll probably copy that to psqlodbc :-).

(I don't personally have any opinion on which of the static site
generators to use, I haven't used any of them. I'm sure they're all good
enough for our needs)

Pretty much anything is better than the current situation, so +1 to
whatever you decide :-).

- Heikki

Re: Website Redo Kick Off

От
dmp
Дата:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 10.07.2013 18:54, dmp wrote:
>> It has been for sometime the desire to redo the website. The main goals
>> being:
>>
>> 1. Make the Site Easier To Maintain.
>> 2. Allow Others to Contribute/Manage the Updates.
>>
>> I have offered to perform the work and have done some reviewing of the
>> past history of the discussions on this subject.
>
> Hooray!
>
>> Help: (Narrow Options)
>>
>> * If you know of a scripting engine that is not listed below please
>> reply.
>>
>> * If you have experience with one listed please comment, seems good/not
>> so good and the language used if possible.
>>
>> * If you have a few minutes please consider randomly selecting one on the
>> list to review so that you could let us know if it may be a good
>> solution.
>
> I don't expect very frequent updates, or very many people updating it,
> so I think the most important criteria is low barrier to maintain it.

So two goals that are not just quantitative, but with priority, #1 over #2
as you deduce.

> It should be easy for anyone to jump in and submit changes. It's probably
> good to pick something that's popular, even if that isn't the best
> alternative otherwise, just to make sure the tool is widely available in
> distributions that people use and that there are people out there with
> experience with it.
>
> I reworked the ODBC driver's website recently. I just did it with plain
> HTML files, stored in a git repository. That was very simple. I don't
> necessarily recommend you to do it that way, but it works. If you come
> up with something better, I'll probably copy that to psqlodbc :-).
>
> (I don't personally have any opinion on which of the static site
> generators to use, I haven't used any of them. I'm sure they're all good
> enough for our needs)

Dave, indicated to me the update to the ODBC driver site and I have reviewed.

I would envision that files used for generation could be in git, so therefore
helping with goal #2.

I'm not so confident that anyone of them would probably meet the needs of the
project. Heikki, perhaps you could take a few minutes to review one of them. My
cursorly review of some of them indicated that they are more oriented toward
a single page blog, rather then a multi-menued site.

In asking others to review I do not mean to install and try just look over
the documentation/information and if a sample site(s) have been indicated
visit.

danap.

> Pretty much anything is better than the current situation, so +1 to
> whatever you decide :-).
>
> - Heikki

Re: Website Redo Kick Off

От
Stephen Nelson
Дата:
Echoing what Heikki said, I personally haven't used any of the site generators mentioned. However the solution does need to be a simple git checkout and with minimal dependencies you can make updates. I've tried to get the current site doc generated a few times without much luck in generating some of the pages. So definitely simplicity rules.

I believe github uses Jekyll and it supports the markdown syntax that is easy to understand and used on github. But I haven't used it so can't vouch for its ease of use or popularity.

Cheers,

Stephen

Re: Website Redo Kick Off

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Dana,

I think you gave us too many choices!

If I had to choose it would be jekyll only because of the inertia from the github folks