Обсуждение: test will not be finished when i using 200 client threads

test will not be finished when i using 200 client threads

От
colin
Дата:
Hello all,

I am trying to test postgresql using YCSB, and when i set client thread as
200, i found it will not be finished.
and log likes

-bash-3.2$ vi postgresql-Sun.log
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2012-10-21 21:32:52 KST
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

My key configuration in postgresql.conf

listen_addresses = '*'
max_connections = 400
shared_buffers = 512MB
temp_buffers = 200MB
work_mem = 1GB
maintenance_work_mem = 512MB

do you know why?

Re: test will not be finished when i using 200 client threads

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM, colin <neyeng@nhn.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to test postgresql using YCSB, and when i set client thread as
> 200, i found it will not be finished.
> and log likes
>
> -bash-3.2$ vi postgresql-Sun.log
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2012-10-21 21:32:52 KST
> LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
> LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

If these are the only logs, and if you have logging configured to log
connections then the test is not connecting to postgresql at all.

> My key configuration in postgresql.conf
>

> listen_addresses = '*'
> max_connections = 400
> shared_buffers = 512MB
> temp_buffers = 200MB
> work_mem = 1GB

if you really have 200 simultaneous connections then the setting above
requires you to have 200GB of RAM.

> maintenance_work_mem = 512MB
>

> do you know why?

Based on the information you have provided I have no idea.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

Re: test will not be finished when i using 200 client threads

От
colin
Дата:
hello,

thanks for your reply, I am sure the test has been executed. bcz more than
90000000 data were inserted.

actually, i only found the test was not finished, but i didn't find any
useful information to identify the reason.

do you know how to check postgresql status to investigate this problem
further?

thanks

Re: test will not be finished when i using 200 client threads

От
"Kevin Grittner"
colin wrote:

> My key configuration in postgresql.conf
>
> listen_addresses = '*'
> max_connections = 400
> shared_buffers = 512MB
> temp_buffers = 200MB
> work_mem = 1GB
> maintenance_work_mem = 512MB

You didn't say anything about your hardware or OS.  For that to be a
somewhat reasonable configuration you would need to be running on
Windows with about 1TB of RAM and about 70 disk spindles. If your
runtime environment doesn't look like that, you need to make some
adjustments. Rather than guess at it, please tell us your OS, the
exact version of PostgreSQL (the output of `SELECT version();`), and
describe your hardware (RAM, processors, storage array, RAID
controller, etc.).

With the additional information, people can make more useful
suggestions.

-Kevin