Обсуждение: moving from oracle to postgresql

moving from oracle to postgresql

От
fachhoch
Дата:
We are planning on moving to postgresql from oracle due to high oracle cost.
Our application uses jdbc , hibernate , moving over to postgresql will it be
lot of changes or should work with minimal changes?
I am all new to postgresql.Porting  jdbc, hibernate app to postgresql from
oracle how big   can be the migration ?please advice.

Re: moving from oracle to postgresql

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Since you used hibernate, I would expect the migration to be quite minimal.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM, fachhoch <fachhoch@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are planning on moving to postgresql from oracle due to high oracle cost.
> Our application uses jdbc , hibernate , moving over to postgresql will it be
> lot of changes or should work with minimal changes?
> I am all new to postgresql.Porting  jdbc, hibernate app to postgresql from
> oracle how big   can be the migration ?please advice.

Re: moving from oracle to postgresql

От
Samuel Gendler

Since you used hibernate, I would expect the migration to be quite minimal.

Unless, of course, you have lots of native queries using oracle-specific sql constructs. If the app is pure hibernate, there's reasonable likelihood that it will function with little more than changing the hibernate config.  Porting your schema will inevitably require a bit of work, though, again, if your app is pure hibernate, you could start by simply allowing hibernate to specify a schema for an empty db and then look at the differences between the two for hints about what may need to change.  I don't think I've ever written an app of any maturity or complexity that was able to exist entirely within native hibernate constructs, so you'll probably have some work porting stored procs, recursive queries, and a few other odds and ends that are different from one platform to the next, but the java application code likely won't require much work at all once you sort that stuff out. You'll also inevitably have a fair bit of db configuration tuning ahead of you, as well, if your app stresses the hardware at all.

--sam

Re: moving from oracle to postgresql

От
dmp