Обсуждение: Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

От
"Atri Sharma"

Hi all,

I am Atri Sharma. I am a Java developer with experience of designing small databases.I have worked with JDBC before and I have studied ODBC and ADO.I have been directed here from the pgsql-hackers mailing list.I would be interested to work on PL/Java and JDBC.

Please let me know of any project that currently need attention.I would be honoured to contribute to the community.

Atri

Re: Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

От
dmp
Дата:
Atri Sharma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am Atri Sharma. I am a Java developer with experience of designing
> small databases.I have worked with JDBC before and I have studied ODBC
> and ADO.I have been directed here from the pgsql-hackers mailing list.I
> would be interested to work on PL/Java and JDBC.
>
> Please let me know of any project that currently need attention.I would
> be honoured to contribute to the community.
>
> Atri

Hello Atri,

I think you have found it. Why not the PostgreSQL JDBC? I think they
still have a current TODO list over at:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/todo.html

If this seems a little to overwhelming at this time then perhaps
you may have some ideas for a plugin for my Project MyJSQLview.
You can create your own plugin that performs some function on a
PostgreSQL database. There is tutorial over at my website,

http://dandymadeproductions.com/projects/MyJSQLView/plugins.html

danap.

Re: Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

От
"MauMau"
Дата:
Hello, Atri,

How about enhancing JDBC driver greatly to support many of JDBC 4.1
features? I guess this will improve interoperability with more software.
While you address it, you will probably find some features lacking in the
PostgreSQL server. I think it's interesting to propose those features which
need to be implemented by the PostgreSQL server.

Please look at the attached mail I posted here last year. I hope this will
help you.

Regards
MauMau

Вложения

Re: Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

От
Atri Sharma
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM, MauMau <maumau307@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Atri,
>
> How about enhancing JDBC driver greatly to support many of JDBC 4.1
> features? I guess this will improve interoperability with more software.
> While you address it, you will probably find some features lacking in the
> PostgreSQL server. I think it's interesting to propose those features which
> need to be implemented by the PostgreSQL server.
>
> Please look at the attached mail I posted here last year. I hope this will
> help you.
>
> Regards
> MauMau

----------
Hi Maumau/Dave,

Sure,I'll go through it.
Also,I was thinkingof creating a foreign data wrapper that wraps JDBC
so that,a single data wrapper can be usedto connect to any database
that can be accessed through a JDBC URL.

Please let me know your opinion on this.

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
MauMau,

I had a quick look at your list. Have you looked at this list with an
eye to what can realistically be implemented in PostgreSQL ?

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:16 AM, MauMau <maumau307@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Atri,
>
> How about enhancing JDBC driver greatly to support many of JDBC 4.1
> features? I guess this will improve interoperability with more software.
> While you address it, you will probably find some features lacking in the
> PostgreSQL server. I think it's interesting to propose those features which
> need to be implemented by the PostgreSQL server.
>
> Please look at the attached mail I posted here last year. I hope this will
> help you.
>
> Regards
> MauMau

Re: Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

От
"MauMau"
Дата:
Hello, Dave
cc: Atri

Hmm... Out of items in "1. Missing features of JDBC specification(big
features)", I wonder if the following ones might be the candidates, though
I'm not confident:

Statement pooling
Ability to identify parameters to CallableStatement objects by name as well
as by index
Enhanced Blob/Clob functionality -- Support provided to create and free a
Blob/Clob instance as well as additional methods added to improve
accessiblity (e.g. Connection interface's createBlob()/createClob())
Availability to be notfied when a PreparedStatement that is associated with
a PooledConnection has been closed or the driver determines is invalid
Setting and getting of client information for connections: Connection
interface's setClientInfo()/getClientInfo()

But as you said "realistically," they may be difficult to implement only in
a summer...I'm wondering what would be beneficial to many users and
relatively addressable.

The core question I'd like to know the answer for is "what should be done
for JDBC driver to make many PostgreSQL users happier and attract more
people to PostgreSQL?". With that eye, I thought it would be interesting to
add supported JDBC features so that more software can interoperate with
PostgreSQL. However, I don't know which JDBC features will be effective to
widen PostgreSQL ecosystem. That investigation itself is a valuable topic,
isn't it?

Regards
MauMau

Re: Regarding GSoc 2012 project idea

От
"MauMau"
Дата:
Hello, Atri,

From: "Atri Sharma" <atri.jiit@gmail.com>
> Also,I was thinkingof creating a foreign data wrapper that wraps JDBC
> so that,a single data wrapper can be usedto connect to any database
> that can be accessed through a JDBC URL.
>
> Please let me know your opinion on this.

That sounds interesting. But it seems difficult to me, because there seems
to be many difficulties in implementing FDW for PostgreSQL (pgsql_fdw),
which is being developed for PostgreSQL 9.2.

Regards
MauMau