Обсуждение: release for 8.2

release for 8.2

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Given the number of patches recently added, and the impending release
of the server, what do we want to do about releasing an 8.2 version?

Dave

Re: release for 8.2

От
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Given the number of patches recently added, and the impending release of the
> server, what do we want to do about releasing an 8.2 version?

Outstanding patches I'm aware of:

1) standard strings - Needed for correct operation, so needs to go into
8.2.

2) binary transfer - still needs some more work and testing.  Will wait
for 8.3.

3) XA end then join for weblogic - should go into 8.2

4) XA autocommit - should go into 8.2

5) FAQ patch for XA - should probably be merged into the main docs and
have a pointer from the FAQ to the docs.

6) Build datasource code with JDK1.6 - will go into 8.2

7) NPE in BlobInputStream - should go into 8.2.

8) There are several older patches that no one has reviewed (named
parameter support for CallableStatement, client ssl certs, ...).  With a
week or so to go, these aren't going into 8.2.

If there are other patches please add let me know about them...

If you or Oliver could review the XA patches that would be greatly
appreciated.  I really haven't had the time to keep up with all of
intricacies of JTA.

As to doing something like releasing a beta driver?  I'm not sure when
we'd do that.  I could build a new dev release now, but then the above
patches wouldn't be included.  With the release scheduled for next week
and packagers needing to get the jar files before that we need to put out
a final this weekend I'd guess.  The lack of testing is disconcerting, but
if we delay what will packagers ship?  8.1?  If so how could they migrate
to 8.2?

Kris Jurka

Re: release for 8.2

Дата:
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> writes:
> As to doing something like releasing a beta driver?  I'm not sure when
> we'd do that.  I could build a new dev release now, but then the above
> patches wouldn't be included.  With the release scheduled for next week
> and packagers needing to get the jar files before that we need to put out
> a final this weekend I'd guess.  The lack of testing is disconcerting, but
> if we delay what will packagers ship?  8.1?  If so how could they migrate
> to 8.2?

FWIW, 8.2 core will ship on Monday unless all hell breaks loose before
that.  So I suggest you put together something reasonably credible by
the weekend --- leave out anything not absolutely essential, but put it
in the water ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: release for 8.2

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
On 28-Nov-06, at 10:17 PM, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> Given the number of patches recently added, and the impending
>> release of the server, what do we want to do about releasing an
>> 8.2 version?
>>

> Outstanding patches I'm aware of:
>
> 1) standard strings - Needed for correct operation, so needs to go
> into 8.2.
>
> 2) binary transfer - still needs some more work and testing.  Will
> wait for 8.3.
>
> 3) XA end then join for weblogic - should go into 8.2
>
> 4) XA autocommit - should go into 8.2
>
> 5) FAQ patch for XA - should probably be merged into the main docs
> and have a pointer from the FAQ to the docs.
>
> 6) Build datasource code with JDK1.6 - will go into 8.2
>
> 7) NPE in BlobInputStream - should go into 8.2.
>
> 8) There are several older patches that no one has reviewed (named
> parameter support for CallableStatement, client ssl certs, ...).
> With a week or so to go, these aren't going into 8.2.
>
> If there are other patches please add let me know about them...
>
> If you or Oliver could review the XA patches that would be greatly
> appreciated.  I really haven't had the time to keep up with all of
> intricacies of JTA.

I can review others, however the subtleties of JTA are lost on me as
well. I can review it for general java code but as far as how it
interacts with XA I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

> As to doing something like releasing a beta driver?  I'm not sure
> when we'd do that.  I could build a new dev release now, but then
> the above patches wouldn't be included.  With the release scheduled
> for next week and packagers needing to get the jar files before
> that we need to put out a final this weekend I'd guess.  The lack
> of testing is disconcerting, but if we delay what will packagers
> ship?  8.1?  If so how could they migrate to 8.2?

As Tom suggested we should put something out, regardless of testing.
Based on history we will see an 8.2.1 come out rather quickly.

Dave

> Kris Jurka
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>
>                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: release for 8.2

От
"Heikki Linnakangas"
Дата:
Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 28-Nov-06, at 10:17 PM, Kris Jurka wrote:
>
>> If you or Oliver could review the XA patches that would be greatly
>> appreciated.  I really haven't had the time to keep up with all of
>> intricacies of JTA.
>
> I can review others, however the subtleties of JTA are lost on me as
> well. I can review it for general java code but as far as how it
> interacts with XA I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

The "XA end then join" patch looks good to me (ok, I wrote it based on
Jan de Vissers original patch), but AFAIK no-one has tested it on
WebLogic to confirm that it fixes the original problem. Anyone with
WebLogic installed to test?

The XA autocommit patch looks good to me as well.

For reference, here are the XA patches we're talking about:

XA end then join:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00011.php

XA autocommit:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00043.php

Even if we don't get any testing done on these, I'd suggest committing
them to 8.2 driver anyway. At least they don't seem to break anything.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: release for 8.2

От
Jan de Visser
Дата:
On Wednesday 29 November 2006 9:02 am, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> The "XA end then join" patch looks good to me (ok, I wrote it based on
> Jan de Vissers original patch), but AFAIK no-one has tested it on
> WebLogic to confirm that it fixes the original problem. Anyone with
> WebLogic installed to test?

Ha! I have vacation next week! That should give me the 2hrs or so I need to
test. So if that's good enough, I can test.

No chance before that though.

jan

Jan de Visser                     jdevisser@digitalfairway.com

                Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!

Re: release for 8.2

От
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Kris Jurka wrote:

> Outstanding patches I'm aware of:
>
> 1) standard strings - Needed for correct operation, so needs to go into 8.2.

Applied.

> 3) XA end then join for weblogic - should go into 8.2

Applied.

> 4) XA autocommit - should go into 8.2

Applied.

> 5) FAQ patch for XA - should probably be merged into the main docs and
> have a pointer from the FAQ to the docs.

Not applied yet.  Documentation is the sort of thing that can be changed
at any time.

> 6) Build datasource code with JDK1.6 - will go into 8.2

Applied.

> 7) NPE in BlobInputStream - should go into 8.2.

I looked at this some and it's more complicated than I initially thought.
Needs more testing and since it's an uncommon problem (two reports in 3-4
years) it can wait a little.

Kris Jurka

Re: release for 8.2

От
matrixx
Дата:
>> 7) NPE in BlobInputStream - should go into 8.2.
>
> I looked at this some and it's more complicated than I initially
> thought. Needs more testing and since it's an uncommon problem (two
> reports in 3-4 years) it can wait a little.

d'oh!

ok so i have to use your unoffical patch - works for me on 8.2dev